It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 85  Next
 Post subject: Re: Studio Pics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 am 

Here's my setup. I think i need a bigger table :o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:34 am 
555 Award Winner '09

Madmantis wrote:
Nice socks, homie. :wink:

LMFAO :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 am 

blindfold wrote:
Here's my setup. I think i need a bigger table :o

You need to ditch that butterfly on top of your amp too. :D Nice set up man! I want a xylophone. Do you use yours much? Also, what is that red box with the circle in the middle?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:43 am 

Hehe, actually that's a butterpillar I made for wheatpasting it in the streets *g* The red thing is a multi-effect box, the Zoom B1. Has all kinds of effects and you can use up to 8 of them simultaneously. I bought it for my bass guitar in the first place but I can plug in virtually any instrument I've got. If I run a string or organ sound of my keyboard through that and turn on the distortion it gives me a really phat buzzy bass sound.

I bought the xylophone on a fleamarket, it's russian :D It sounds great but I don't get to use it very often, though, because I still haven't got a microphone to record it :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:26 pm 

@blindfold
the Zoom got cool fx boxes , i got the studio 1201 very cool but only 1 fx at time. your fx box it's able to do 8 fx at time...cool, and yes, guitar/bass fx boxes are nice for that...can you apply the B1 for send/return things to recorders? is it too "hissy"?
anyway the synth you got is the casio sk-1 or what?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:02 pm 

Not technically part of my studio because I don't have any mics, but one of these days...

My studio isn't anything special, I'll get a picture up one of these days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 pm 

Thought I'd share how my desk looks since I added a 404sx. I'm so happy with this configuration. Turntable goes to both 404 and sp1200 to sample. SP1200 goes into 404, which goes into 303 (which almost always has vinyl sim on the external input). I don't use the sp sequencers, just record straight audio into computer (Propellerhead Record, which allowed me to sell off all my other software).

Workflow is superfast now. I love chopping on the SP1200, and love the multipitch. After I work something on there I like, I sample it into the 404 so I can gate or loop easier. Makes the 10 second limit on the 1200 trivial. Plus I can have two effects in serial with the 404/303 combo. Took a long time to get here, but I feel my studio is finally complete...

sorry if the photo is too big

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 pm 

megamaeng wrote:

Thought I'd share how my desk looks since I added a 404sx. I'm so happy with this configuration. Turntable goes to both 404 and sp1200 to sample. SP1200 goes into 404, which goes into 303 (which almost always has vinyl sim on the external input). I don't use the sp sequencers, just record straight audio into computer (Propellerhead Record, which allowed me to sell off all my other software).

Workflow is superfast now. I love chopping on the SP1200, and love the multipitch. After I work something on there I like, I sample it into the 404 so I can gate or loop easier. Makes the 10 second limit on the 1200 trivial. Plus I can have two effects in serial with the 404/303 combo. Took a long time to get here, but I feel my studio is finally complete...

s**t, the 1200.....
wonderful thing, really....
truly, you had good chance to play with this machine, thanx for sharing that photo (unfortunatly not the machine :) )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:43 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
s**t, the 1200.....
truly, you had good chance to play with this machine, thanx for sharing that photo (unfortunatly not the machine :) )

I hope I didn't come across as showing off. The sp1200 is really great but wayyyyyyy overpriced. Honestly, I don't really care about the "sound" that everyone talks about. For me its all about the faders. I love editing samples with them and then in the multipitch setting, one fader per pad to control pitch. So fast to work with. I don't understand why other hardware samplers make it so complicated to set start and end points. Actually, the sp's with their mark buttons and knobs are probably the closest thing, in my opinion. Maybe that's why I love them... plus the effects of course

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:21 pm 

megamaeng wrote:
ellaguru wrote:
s**t, the 1200.....

I hope I didn't come across as showing off. The sp1200 is really great but wayyyyyyy overpriced.

that's really true...for only 10 sec...its dimensions...wow, it's too much overpriced...i picked up a yamaha su10 for its scale pitch function near to sp1200/mpc, it's a sort of very very poor sp1200 this little sampler...

megamaeng wrote:
. I don't understand why other hardware samplers make it so complicated to set start and end points. Actually, the sp's with their mark buttons and knobs are probably the closest thing, in my opinion. Maybe that's why I love them... plus the effects of course

i have an mpc1000 and you set start/end point with the 2 faders on it...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:43 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
i have an mpc1000 and you set start/end point with the 2 faders on it...

Really? That's super cool. I've heard good things about the 1000. I bet that makes it super easy to trim samples. The sp1200 is nice because it uses 4 faders to trim, course start, fine start, course end, fine end. My knowledge of mpc's ended with the 60 and 2000 where you had to use the data wheel (unless I missed something) to edit the start, then tab over to the end point and use the data wheel. Serious mojo killer. I also love not having to load samples into ram on my sp's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:18 am 

megamaeng wrote:

that is a fresh ass set-up. now all you need is a little mopho or something for some analog bass and you are set! what are you using to sequence? or do you just tap shit out live into Record and multi-track?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:38 pm 

reignbear wrote:
that is a fresh ass set-up. now all you need is a little mopho or something for some analog bass and you are set! what are you using to sequence? or do you just tap shit out live into Record and multi-track?

Thanks reignbear
I got an korg ms-10 that sounds dope through the sp effects but I can't fit it on my desk anymore! So I generally just use a subtractor in reason or resample a few subsonic efx pitches. But you got me thinking... no... must resist...

Yeah I just bang shit out live into Record and multitrack - I usually have it on loop, Record automatically creates new takes and I just go through real rough off the grid with the comp tool which gives me better and more interesting results than what I intended to play in the first place, e.g. little glitches and dropouts that add a lot to the loop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:48 pm 

dope studio, its all about playing shit out live best part about having the 303 404 combo , much respect keep on keepin on'

Newerstuff
http://soundcloud.com/sleeps-numb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:41 pm 

Sleeps Numb wrote:
dope studio, its all about playing shit out live best part about having the 303 404 combo , much respect keep on keepin on'

Yeah I have to admit this is my second time round using sp's. I sold them off the first time because I was frustrated with the lack tempo stored with the pattern.

It wasn't until I started using record that I felt the stability and speed were there with the computer for me to just sequence in audio. I guess I'm more comfortable looking at audio waveforms than blocks of midi notes, and cutting audio clips and doing fades as opposed to messing with sampler amp and filter envelopes.

I don't want to preach about Record but it's as if I needed to use a simpler program to realize the computers potential. I love that you can chop up clips with a the razor then right there in the sequencer, adjust levels per clip. I know this is probably a feature in every single program but I never figured out how to do it as visually intuitively in other daw's i've used. Since I use sp effects and just print them onto the track I don't need to worry about tons of plugins. I love how I can just switch over to the mixer and I have eq, compression, and sends all set up without me having to load them and navigate from plugin window to window. I just have a template setup with a mastering chain on the master output, generally the stock "hip hop" one cus it has 4 knobs set up perfectly (comp input, kick gain, snare gain and limiter input) perfect for an impatient idiot like me. I setup a bunch of scream 4's on the sends for parallel distortion/compression on tracks. That's all I need!

I'm playing my beats out live for the first time at the end of the month, so the 404's import program has been great to move from Record back to the sp. I'm contemplating taking the SP1200 to trigger some stuff because I think the sp1200 looks dope but we all know the real magic is gonna come from me twisting those knobs on the sp's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 85  Next