It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:30 am

Post subject: So I hit up MPCstuff for potential soft pads in the future!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 pm 

I just got a dope response from the dudes at mpcstuff! I asked them if they'd ever do any soft pads for the 404sx and they responded with this:
I don't know about you guys but this would be super dope for sure, i've been fiending for some soft pads for a minute

Attachments:
IMG_4162.jpg
IMG_4162.jpg [ 111.22 KiB | Viewed 4257 times ]
 Post subject: Re: So I hit up MPCstuff for potential soft pads in the futu
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:03 pm 

Wow that'd be really great, if they could make it like the 303/505, for me now the pads are the biggest bummer on the 404

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:23 pm 

This opens up a pretty amusing debate that has been drilled to death on this very forum in the days before the 2 most recent 404 offerings. I have only handled the 404 OG, but I’d have to say that the pads r basically all I could ask for. Soft enough... very responsive... and no attempt at velocity sensitivity to fowl things up. R the pads on the SX & the A different? I know the 505/303 has a lighter touch, but not by much. My favorite pads r the 808, as the smaller size keeps things tight and makes it easier for me to access all 16 pads fast & easy... plus they r pretty soft.

So r the newer 404’s stiff/hard to press or what?

I think a bigger upgrade would be making the pads illuminate if they contain a sample all the time instead of only when u press them... like on the 808.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:35 pm 

Ghost Bazz wrote:
I think a bigger upgrade would be making the pads illuminate if they contain a sample all the time instead of only when u press them... like on the 808.

I don't know, personally I don't mind the 404sx pads.
They're softer then the fat pads on my MPC.

BUT......I will say I finger drum easier on an MPC, due to sensitivity & probably also due to the pads being bigger. Barely touch the pads & they go off...... with the 404sx they have to be pushed in a bit.

It would be cool as fuck if the pads lit up when there was a sample on it, I didn't know the 808 did that, that's awesome.
What I do is just hit record for a sec, so I can tell where samples are, but if I think about it I do this ALL the time.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:03 pm 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

ghost bazz wrote:
This opens up a pretty amusing debate that has been drilled to death on this very forum in the days before the 2 most recent 404 offerings. I have only handled the 404 OG, but I’d have to say that the pads r basically all I could ask for. Soft enough... very responsive... and no attempt at velocity sensitivity to fowl things up. R the pads on the SX & the A different? I know the 505/303 has a lighter touch, but not by much. My favorite pads r the 808, as the smaller size keeps things tight and makes it easier for me to access all 16 pads fast & easy... plus they r pretty soft.

The Pads on the SX are a little softer and more responsive. The best pads out of all the SP's ive tried are the SP202 pads

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:06 am 

Sharris wrote:
BUT......I will say I finger drum easier on an MPC, due to sensitivity & probably also due to the pads being bigger. Barely touch the pads & they go off...... with the 404sx they have to be pushed in a bit.

yea and this is why pads 9 and 10 on my 404sx are completely unusable for live pad triggering purposes (finger drumming included) :x :x :x

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:16 pm 

you can make your the pads more sensitive by putting some tape between the pad and the sensor.

i did it on my old sp555 to fix one of them that was going bad.
im assuming its the same on the 404.

just got to take it apart. it wasn't too hard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:24 pm 

Bandit Lu wrote:
you can make your the pads more sensitive by putting some tape between the pad and the sensor.

i did it on my old sp555 to fix one of them that was going bad.
im assuming its the same on the 404.

just got to take it apart. it wasn't too hard.

would this work for a worn out pad??? that doesn't trigger anymore unless you completely smash it in with 15601651560 pounds of force?

also how risky is this?? is my 404sx going to be inoperable if i fuck up when i open it up?

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:00 pm 

So after looking at a few vids of the sp404sx it looks like the pad sensors or contacts are different between the 555 and 404sx.

Check out this thread that goes into how you can fix the pads...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25273

Taking it apart isn't too risky.
You just need to keep track of the screws. My suggestion is to take pics before you remove the screws at each point so you something to refer to if you forget.

chopperman made a video here showing how to take it apart...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rvIXk-GmYM

It's good to know how to fix your gear cause the pads will wear out sooner or later and it's a relatively simple fix. this goes for most samplers. check youtube cause people prob have done it already.

good luck