It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am

Post subject: What sampler to choose
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:34 pm 

Hi everyone! Need help in a making decision. I want to get the sound like Lootpack/Jaylib shit, or other Madlib's projects like Madvillain, Quas stuff etc... But I don't want to buy sp-303 or Mpc2000XL bcs of it's durability (like, it's made almost 20 years ago, i don't think it will last me for a long (will it?)). Maybe 404sx is the optimal option? What would you advise?

Post subject: Re: What sampler to choose
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 pm 

They’ve lasted this long, so I don’t see why they won’t last a couple more decades. If you want that sound, the equipment won’t necessarily give it you unless you use the sp 1200 like the lootpack album. You get that 12 but sound by using the LOFI effect in the 303 though. 2000xl doesn’t have any effects but it does add a little grit some say punch as well. I can vouch for the 303 though , you can any sound you want on it I assume the 404 is no different. Oh yeah you gotta have SOUL :wink:

https://soulchoppa.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:46 pm 

Yeah, I understand that 303 is the best variant (like, i can't afford sp1200), but what I'm afraid of it is the durability of 303, so i would like to know, how long can it live if I buy it nowadayz (in a good condition).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:49 pm 

I mean, I would like to hear stories about breakages from owners. I scrolled forum, and somehow came across that one guy wrote that they are very poorly made

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 pm 

d.david82 wrote:
Yeah, I understand that 303 is the best variant (like, i can't afford sp1200), but what I'm afraid of it is the durability of 303, so i would like to know, how long can it live if I buy it nowadayz (in a good condition).

As for quality the 303 is going to be the same as any other piece of equipment. I have one that is basically brand new, cause it was never used. I've had others with bad pots, and seen them listed with "no sound out of the left channel". Dependent on the use it's seen, for example, repeatedly having RCA cable plugged in and out vs a machine that was left plugged in to a set-up, or machine that had the control knobs constantly tweeked and rode while resampling effects. You are going to have different failure points. Pots and bad solder joints can easily be fixed.

As for best variant, that is all opinion and what machine works for Soul Choppa or Madlib might not work for you. Trial and error of the different units is going to help you get where you want to go. If you're set on the 303 a 505 might be the best for your as it incorporates a lot more features into the machine and you will still get that 303 vibe.

If you are getting the 404 I would stick with the original version for the sound you are going after.

Again, If you buy a well taken care of unit and take care of it yourself there is no reason for it to have durability issues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:56 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

I suggest the 404og over the SX for many reasons, but especially in your case for the Vinyl SIM compression effect, The SX has it by the same name but it is much different. If you are concerned about durability, dead pads is the only reoccuring problem i've had to face, and most of the time it's an easy fix. One of my 404s I've had since 2007 and never had any issues with the ins/outs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
I'll just echo what's been posted above and say SpP-404 OG all the way..the 404-SX is dope but the sound is too clean for my taste unless it's twinned with the OG model which is how I use it .

I'm thinking of taking a serious plunge on the MPC-X at some point over the coming months but there's no chance of me abandoning the OG 404 if I do..the machine is far too good for that,it's in a class of it's own.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

Last edited by Danswift on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:04 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Danswift wrote:
I'll just each what's been posted above and say SpP-404 OG all the way..the 404-SX is dope but the sound is too clean for my taste unless it's twinned with the OG model which is how I use it .

I'm thinking of taking a serious plunge on the MPC-X at some point over the coming months but there's no chance of me abandoning the OG 404 if I do..the machine is far too good for that,it's in a class of it's own.

I bought the MPC live in January and I love it, to me it's worth twice the price. You'll love the X! Still use my 404 alongside it though.... the FX on the Live are kind of wack (only mono reverb??)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:53 pm 

Those new mpc’s look pretty slick. Glad the trend of computer reliant hardware is going away. Here’s a look at some of the classics...

http://www.factmag.com/2016/09/15/15-sa ... music/amp/

SOUNDCLOUD