It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I am lost with the basics of the SP-303
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:19 am 

SLVG wrote:
I meant who cares about the quality of your sample source for the most part. Not very punk rock dude.
Just doesn't seem worth getting bent up about.

Well worded.

I'm a bit old, finding dirtstyles scratch records or recording gagball breaks breaks from the youtube to cut up in serato makes no difference to me.

If I'm going to juggle for example "Black Sheep, the Choice is Yours" why would I ruin my only two original pressed copies from 1991? if I can now use a digital copy in an mp3 or wav to scratch and cut up the same as the original within serato.

Then again I'm sure a real self proclaimed "hiphop head" born after the merge can explain it to us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Crane wrote:

I'm a bit old, finding dirtstyles scratch records or recording gagball breaks breaks from the youtube to cut up in serato makes no difference to me.

If I'm going to juggle for example "Black Sheep, the Choice is Yours" why would I ruin my only two original pressed copies from 1991? if I can now use a digital copy in an mp3 or wav to scratch and cut up the same as the original within serato.

Then again I'm sure a real self proclaimed "hiphop head" born after the merge can explain it to us.

+1

You fucking nailed it, Crane.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:05 pm 

SLVG wrote:
I meant who cares about the quality of your sample source for the most part. Not very punk rock dude.

yeeeaaahhhh... since when does this forum have anything to do with punk rock?
i'm sorry you don't care if you're looking at a jpeg at 10% quality versus lossless quality... your senses must be very dull..........

you should save all of your music files in 8 kbps mp3 to save space bc quality/fidelity doesn't matter in music at all....... there's no reason at all that people try to engineer the best phono cartridges or cassette deck mechanisms..... nah.............

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:08 pm 

Crane wrote:
SLVG wrote:

Well worded.

again, i'm sorry that quality and fidelity don't matter to you folks.
i wonder why people even still have vinyl!!!??? we should just burn all the records and throw away all the phonos
reel to reel??? why would anyone record live instruments on reel?!?!? we should record it all on an mp3 recorder!!!!! what's the difference?!?!?! :roll:

oh and btw guys, for production purposes, quality matters a lot more during that process than for playback purposes

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:34 pm 

Quality and fidelity? I've heard your beats son, how are you gonna moan about quality and fidelity?
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:37 pm 

False equivalence arguments and fake outrage from zendan again. I agree the kid knows nothing but makes a lot of posts about his expertise. It's kind of sad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:47 pm 

When was this forum ever about audio quality!!!??

What’s the audio interface you’re using to bounce your final tracks to your computer? If you ain’t using at least a $3k interface your shit is WHACK!!

We get it, you love your audio quality and listen to your music with the finest headphones. Not everyone is like you nor do they have to be like you.

To most of us commoners, mp3 files are just fine and dandy. Is it that hard of a pill to swallow? Is it really that unbelieveable and surprising?

Most people on here rep the low end theory literally $$$

Last edited by 444 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 pm 

Lots of words to follow...

When it comes to sample source quality... after a few levels of processing on a clip or chop your audio will have adopted the limitations/characteristics of your production environment. This means that the super hi end stuff will come down and the low end stuff will come up. Each of these offer their own characteristics, low end has artifacting and lots of compression usually, and hi end has a wider spectrum and conveys a greater level of detail as captured in the original recording. When it comes to sound design on an SP, each of these can be desirable.

With the greater audio detail of a high quality clip you can target specific frequencies to greater effect... pulling out a cool sound in the mid-range that may be lost on a lower quality version of the audio. So in that regard I like the hi quality source material more, however, once u head down the rabbit hole of SP sound design I don’t think it matters much. Making beats that are more of what I would consider mpc style, where u aren’t processing chops as much rather resequencing the original, it’s easier to notice the difference in sample quality.

Ultimately, the mixing & mastering r gonna b limiting factors to how much sound quality comes through in the final product... and it only really matters if u r monitoring the final product on a high end system. If someone captures something in super high quality but then compresses the hell out of their beat, the quality of the original becomes less relevant. Plus, lots of original media - records/tapes/etc - offer up compressed as hell, shitty degraded audio, but each with their own unique characteristics.

I think it boils down to wether or not u value the history of the music u r borrowing from. Collecting and evaluating artifacts... searching for cool shit in real life... clicking around with ur mouse and making a quick beat, or finding something special that has laid neglected for years that u will enjoy sifting through over repeated listens.

Sometimes it takes people a minute to capture the bigger picture of what sample based music production is really all about. Sometimes they never do. But when someone shows enough interest that they start fucking around with making beats, it shows that they have the potential to go the whole distance and become an ambassador or the art form. A lot of people will drop out along the way. The current lofi trend is whack as hell, but it will pass. Trap music computer beats r whack as hell & they r starting to recede right? Thank goodness. Whatever gives Roland a reason to keep making 404s and drum machines is cool w me.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:08 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Edit

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

Last edited by Danswift on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 am 

CAPTAIN SPACE KARATE wrote:
Quality and fidelity? I've heard your beats son, how are you gonna moan about quality and fidelity?
:lol:

have plenty of unreleased hi fidelity beats you've never heard first of all

second of all you've prolly heard like 2 of my lofi beats and judge me based on that.

look deeper into my soundcloud.

check out sp tape 2 onhttp://www.zendan.bandcamp.com

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:50 am 

MODERATOR wrote:
False equivalence arguments and fake outrage from zendan again. I agree the kid knows nothing but makes a lot of posts about his expertise. It's kind of sad.

i'm raging yet someone called me out for saying i fucked with wav files. makes sense.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:55 am 

imdeadRIP wrote:
When was this forum ever about audio quality!!!??

What’s the audio interface you’re using to bounce your final tracks to your computer? If you ain’t using at least a $3k interface your shit is WHACK!!

This discussion belongs in gearslutz.com with the rest of the squares. Shhhhhheeeeah

We get it, you love your audio quality and listen to your music with the finest headphones. Not everyone is like you nor do they have to be like you.

To most of us commoners, mp3 files are just fine and dandy. Is it that hard of a pill to swallow? Is it really that unbelieveable and surprising?

Most people on here rep the low end theory literally $$$

never said anyone had to be like me. someone called me out talking shit so i just explained my own outlook. people don't understand that having a different opinion isn't attacking someone.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 am 

Ghost Bazz wrote:
Lots of words to follow...

however, once u head down the rabbit hole of SP sound design I don’t think it matters much.

SP404sx records in 16bit lossless wav.

i use pattern sequencer.

resample is the enemy of quality

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:58 am 

ghost bazz thank you so much for taking the time to drop some mad knowledge. much respect, g

anyways, people on this forum really need to calm down and understand that someone that thinks differently than them isn't a threat. someone expressing their opinion isn't hurting anything. i'm not attacking anyone or calling anyone wrong.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:06 am 

zendan wrote:
anyways, people on this forum really need to calm down and understand that someone that thinks differently than them isn't a threat. someone expressing their opinion isn't hurting anything. i'm not attacking anyone or calling anyone wrong.

-Take your own advice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next