It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:22 am

Post subject: Re: Gear that inspires you
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:10 am 

Quote:
Two months ago I bought a used Maschine MK1. I couldn't integrate in the way I do things and I'm selling it now and since I bought it cheap, I will have some money to spend on gear. I was looking through some options and nothing inspired me (just cheap stuff). Since I had to sell my sp202, I'm looking for another sampler but don't know if it will really integrate on my workflow (I found a cheap and new Sampletrak). How do you guys decide how to buy stuff?

It kind of depends on the cost of the equipment, how much I have at the moment to bring, and if I feel it’s worthy of the purchase. I paid $50 for my Akai S20 at my local GuitarCenter. That was a no brainer. But it’s only a basic sampler. No FX, no envelopes, no waveforms to look at & edit.

One sampler was so awful I had to go back to the store that sold it to me & trade it in for a SP303. (Yamaha SY200 in case you ever come across one). I should have read the review of every unhappy customer who hated it as a clue.)

I forgot what I spent on my SP505, but I’ve loved that as one of my favorites. But it’s in need of repair, and if you’ve all been reading my posts, I’m paying off a MPC 1000. I’ve never owned a MPC before, but I’m going to just sit down with it for a few weeks, and just figure it out. Later once I’m more comfortable with it, I can use it with my 224 or SP202.

But as far as what I want to buy, I try to see what it will do, what it has to offer everything else I own. Sometimes by buying a piece of gear, you solve one problem, but then you start to notice 5 more problems you run into, and you can find your brain telling yourself only the next item will itch that scratch. This is where you have to be careful, because if it doesn’t work the way you want it, you start to find out how expensive it all becomes. I don’t care what people say, if you buy a drum machine, eventually you want a BassLine, or a melody. So you buy a synth. But then you need a mixer/monitors. Then you need audio/midi cables to hook them all together. So it starts to get a bit crazy before you know it. So it’s just a matter of asking yourself if you need or want that chosen item for your studio.

Some items I’ve dreamed of owning, but never got around to. Some things I bought were over my head, or I was too lazy to learn, & I got rid of. But it is those lessons you learn over the years that you got to find out yourself. Your methods of doing something might be your own, or quite common. It all depends on you. The gear doesn’t make the song for you. You just have to invest the time of using it. So just keep at it! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:43 pm 

forest wrote:
Two months ago I bought a used Maschine MK1. I couldn't integrate in the way I do things and I'm selling it now and since I bought it cheap, I will have some money to spend on gear. I was looking through some options and nothing inspired me (just cheap stuff). Since I had to sell my sp202, I'm looking for another sampler but don't know if it will really integrate on my workflow (I found a cheap and new Sampletrak). How do you guys decide how to buy stuff?

Too be honest I have more cheap gear then expensive gear. I have way too much gear tho, right now I'm deciding which pieces of gear I'm going to sell.

When it comes to deciding what to buy....... I think about what I feel is missing from either my workflow or my sound. I love working with vinyl samples & love making boom bap. I thought about how great a bass guitar would go with chops. So I bought a bass guitar sample pack from Very Sick Beats (I think it was Very Sick Bass), which is full of bass guitar samples. I used them in some of my beats & thought it sounded amazing, so I bought a bass guitar.

I think about what I feel is missing, research as much as possible & get what I feel will fill that void.

I also realized how important workflow is to me. I've been watching the op-1 for a long time, but never felt it could add to my sound & it's expensive. I have plenty of samplers & synths. Plus a lot of portable gear. The more I played with my gear & the more I thought about it I realized that the op-1 could actually add a lot. For 1, if it's as inspiring & fun as it looks, I think I will create great ideas on it. For 2, I want to downsize my set up, so the op-1 will allow me to sell some of my synths & samplers. For 3, we only live once!!!! I make decent money & purposely have really low rent & low bills so I can put my money into my passions. Besides, the op-1 is actually more money used due to it always being out of stock, so if for any reason I don't gel with it, I can sell it & make my money back.

It sounds like you are looking for a cheap sampler....... I think the Sampletrak would be good, I've been looking at that for awhile as well, almost bought one. The sp505 too, it's about the same price as a Sampletrak. But if the deal was good with the Sampletrak, I would go with that.

It can be hard making a decision on your next piece of gear. There's just so much out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:32 pm 

when it comes to equipt . i spend exrensive time looking at prices and youtube vids . either way convincing or persuading away from purchase .

price can play a factor .. sell 1 to get 1 is my new ethos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:13 pm 

Thanks, everyone!

I started to buy stuff this year and I'm going into the "buy 1, sell 1" route too. I bought this Tascam 488 MK1 used for almost nothing, fixed it and realized that this huge thing has so many features that is an overkill XD. I thought like "I like tape, a Tascam would be amazing." Well... it's, but it's not what I was looking for lol.

Going to sell it and save the money to who knows what (couldn't find any sp505 here). The hard part of acquiring stuff here in Brazil is that everything is hugely overpriced. Like, an MPC 500 costs what you guys would pay for an op-1 and a half lol. New Volcas costs what an op-1 would cost XD And that is for what you can actually find on online stores.

Well, to keep the thing about gear that inspires you. I have a Korg nanokey2 and this thing came with a bunch of digital stuff. These days they put Reason Lite into that and I'm messing with it. I'm using Ableton Intro for like a year now and I love it, but man, Reason sparks creativity and it has so many amazing FX to toy with (almost every preset is great). Since you guys were talking about tweaking sounds just for the joy of it - thing that I enjoy a lot too - I really recommend to download the trial and mess with it. The midi editor is 100% terrible, the interface is kinda loose when you are on it for the first time. But really worth the time if you like to mess with samples.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 pm 

Maybe we oughta send you gear, and in return, you send rare Samba/Tango/Latin Records to us!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 pm 

Headphones wrote:
Maybe we oughta send you gear, and in return, you send rare Samba/Tango/Latin Records to us!!!

Man, I would be down for that tbh, I would love to share some stuff that I find here - I do not know a lot of Latin music, but I buy stuff from time to time and after some time give it back for a discount on something else on the used vinyl store. I can't imagine how it would be complicated to ship a record in a way that it would arrive safely tough lol

I don't know if I have something good with me right now. But I will try to remember to sample some brazilian and latin vinyls I end up picking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 am 

I’ll want as many as you got. But what gear are you after? And what power supply does Brazil need? Or is it the same as what we use in North America??

Hopefully we see what sending gear to you, and you fill us with hard to find records??(CDs can work as well)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 pm 

Haha, I do not live in a big city, but we have quite ok used vinyl stores here and a fair that happens from time to time. I have some brazilian vinyls here at home. Think most are kinda crowded of instruments to get much sampleable material, but I can check something on the end of the week and sample a whole vinyl just for the sake of sharing.

Oh, where I live we use 110v.