It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

Post subject: MFX Grand Ultra
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 pm 

Boss / Roland should release an fx pedal with MFX type modular . the SP range so under appreciated . i realise that after departing with 2 SP's over the last year n listening back to my work

.. equipment boredam . don't know how much music other cats run through .. but i do it like excercising

Post subject: Re: MFX Grand Ultra
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:41 pm 

For the first 2 years I had the sx, I didn't really dig deep into the effects. Even tho I used it everyday & messed with the effects, I barely ever applied multiple effects to a sample by resampling over & over & I considered a lot of the effects to be subpar. Then I entered sp battles & had to dig deep into the machine. I fell in love with it all over again. I realized just how useful a lot of the effects were, not only to shape sounds, but also creatively.

I think there is more to an sp than just it's effects tho, there's the fun factor too. The more fun your having & the more inspired you are, the better music you make. But I do agree, an effects processor filled with sp effects would be cool as fuck. I use the sx as 1 all the time. It's always in my signal chain.

I ALWAYS listen to my own music/beats. One thing I noticed when listening to really old beats is I might have lacked skill & knowledge, but my beats were more creative. For the most part now I know what to do to get the sound I want, which means less happy accidents. I still experiment, but when first learning this craft everything you do is experimenting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:23 pm 

Sometimes it’s like the saying “Too much salt/spice in your food, makes it taste awful”. If I keep using more effects on top of the SP505’s effects, it just...I don’t know how to put it other than, it just becomes a noisy mess. It can be fun if you use the internal delays with a different effect unit, and pile on more delay. But the sounds get that flange motor sound, and then if I lighten up on the amount of the MoFX, I still get the 505’s delay getting louder & louder, and it sounds like a weird bucket brigade crash delay until I have to turn down the wetness of the delay. (I hope this made sense, because I don’t have a way to record this and upload it to let you all hear a example)

But some effects compliment each other, so why not use a reverb with your delay? Or compress your bit crushing effect.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:40 am 

Yea exactly, it depends on what effects you use........
that free vst synth battle lif put on, I struggled with the sounds big time. I'm used to sampling from vinyl or making my own sounds.....just not used to playin with cheesy free vst's. So I put the sx to the test 8) I eq'd the drum hits separately, put Lofi on the snare, hi hats, cymbal, put voice trans & lo pass on the kick, time stretched a hat, full blast lo pass w/drive sweeps over the synth, then radio tuner over the entire beat. At least those are the effects I remember, I resampled so much I lost track. & I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality (beat structure wasn't great, but that's my bad not the sx's fault)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:21 pm 

yessir .. noisey mess if over applied .. i think there is little headroom unless bouncing externally from the SPs

some effects do ehance the involvment of others . n knowledge of use / experimentation makes it alot easier to achieve exactly what you want