It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

Post subject: 2 Hour Track Challenge
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:16 pm 

I'm part of a very nice community on discord hosted by a guy named Ben Burnes. He has a bunch of nice videos on youtube and he weekly does a stream where he makes a full song on 2 hours. He is doing the 2 Hour track challenge album thing this weekend.
Today (4/5 or 5/4 to NA XD) he will randomly choose a theme and then we have the whole weekend to spend a block of two hours to come up with a full song. I know that it's already there, but I'm just sharing in case anyone wanna hop in!
I think it will happen again soon.

All the information can be found here: http://2hac.abstractionmusic.com/

Post subject: Re: 2 Hour Track Challenge
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:32 am 

oh cool.

at first i read it as a challenge in making a 2 hour long track hahaha.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 pm 

Bye wrote:
at first i read it as a challenge in making a 2 hour long track hahaha.

Hehe me too.

This is a cool idea.

Most of my beats are made in less than 2 hours, so this is right up my alley.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:39 pm 

damn all my beats take way less than that haha, makes me wonder if i should spend more time on my sht

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:00 am 

Oh, that's really an interesting point I hadn't think about. People on this discord I spoke about usually compose their music from the ground. Sometimes samples are used, but just as one more thing that will add to the whole song. Anything goes if you are at least having fun or challenging yourself. I don't know how it would be with copyright since the guy who organizes the whole thing kinda try to avoid any bullshit that can come from people with rights on a 50 years old song XD. Well, there is still today to enter.

Oh, and just to keep the discussion going, I really felt myself improving when I started to do this 2 hour track challenge weekly. It has been a month now and I didn't try to use samples on any of the songs but I feel like the 2 hours are just exactly the time you need to compose something from the ground and it's challenging and rewarding being able to do that. Having exactly the time needed, no more, make you go really fast between things that you think can work and that way you really improve on the composition thing/parts as a whole.

I don't know about the time to make beats, but doing things in time blocks like this is a nice exercise. Less perfection, more results.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:50 pm 

I hear u forest. 2 hours would actually b pretty quick for me to finish a song. Think this is really good for forcing people into the latter half of the process. I think most folks r probably most familiar w the beginning part of the process... picking sounds/samples, jamming out cool loops, & playing w effects... we don’t always get to the point of composing these elements into a finished song, creating an intro/outro, and working on mastering. To do it all in 2 hours I’d have to settle for whatever I could jam out in like... 30-45 mins. Think I could do it if I didn’t have to sample & chop. It would definitely b more about the process than the end product cause my beat would probably b booty. :lol:

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:02 pm 

For me finishing beats in less than 2 hours is a bad habit.......for the past 3 years my average is around 10 beats a week, sometimes I'll make 20. Which means they're microwave beats &/or not finished. I learned A LOT from doing this, but it also became a bad habit. & yea, 2 hours isn't much, but I do everything live in sessions, which I think takes less time than programming (at least for me).

The past 6 months I've been trying to spend more time on beats. I need to find a challenge where it's "spend 10 hours on 1 beat" :)

I'm still interested in this challenge tho, I know it's too late, but I'll look out for the next one.