It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 am

Post subject: Re: why the hell do you do this?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 am 

Ive always been into music like all of you guys.. my father was a drummer and i used to run around and jam out to his old pink floyd/ led zeppelin records when i was a kid.. i listened to nothing but michael jackson once i started finding my own musical taste and will smith...I learned guitar and bass in high school (to get chicks obvi but it helped me reclaim music as my true passion instead of videogames) and got really into tenacious d lol.. sort of embarrassing when i think about it but i still love jack black.... i got really into rap in college but not underground just stuff like jeezy and gucci and rick ross... lil wayne..i always knew about dr dre and snoop and all those too... at some point i realized that kanye west was the one with all the answers production wise and i wanted to learn about his creative process... it was actually MBDTF when the runaway movie came out and i saw kanye messin around on the mpc 2000xl for the power beat that i first even sniffed the concept of sampling... i mean i guess i just never thought about how rap beats were made... then years later my friend was really into ras g and showed me some great videos of him doing beats and i kinda thought i was tired of playing video games again and wanted to get my music passion going again so i started researching samplers and shit and i saw somebody i followed on snapchat fuckin around with a 404 and here we are

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:30 am 

thesisdrs wrote:
zendan wrote:
i loooooove herbie hancock, his vinyl is soooo hard to find :oops: :oops:

Yeah? the first record I bought was his... Thrust. (the one he made after Head Hunters)

hard to find out here in texas at least /:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:30 am 

thesisdrs wrote:

Word :!: Why is it always the fathers who help ignite the musicians in people :?:

i think men are more music oriented than women on average.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:55 am 

i wanna say somethin unrelated.

i'm really glad this forum is still poppin after over 10 years. very inspiring that people are still interested in this arcane, obsolete technology.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:56 am 

zendan wrote:
thesisdrs wrote:

Word :!: Why is it always the fathers who help ignite the musicians in people :?:

i think men are more music oriented than women on average.

men play the music so the women will dance :wink: :wink: :wink:

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:03 pm 

thesisdrs wrote:

My father was a lead singer for an underground band called Black River Plague in the 60's. He used to force me to sing as a kid. But he later realized I have my own path to lead. Other than that, he would never buy me a beat machine because he think I play with it for a day and put it to the side. He saw me one day how I was making beats with two double cassette decks I found and how I chopped up samples with a razor blade and mending tapes. He was like isn't there an easy way to do that, I said yeah, with a sampler and a 4track recorder. Sure glad he got that MS-1.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:17 pm 

Oh man... slicing actual tape the old school way. Sounds difficult but I can appreciate the effort in doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm 

thesisdrs wrote:
Oh man... slicing actual tape the old school way. Sounds difficult but I can appreciate the effort in doing that.

Thanks, I didn't mind the long sweaty handed nights, it was Hip Hop for me. But one day I did get burnt out on cassettes. I couldn't look at them anymore. Today, I'm over it. I would go back but maybe no cutting. I lost those modded cassettes for looping.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:47 pm 

zendan wrote:
just read this and wanna mention my parents forced me to play piano from age 5 - 8 or 9. lol. then when i got older i learned guitar and bass and drums.

i've always been into music. especially when i first started smoking weed(which was way too young), just listening to music in some skullcandy headphones off my ipod nano was my favorite pastime. i would go skate down to the lake in my neighborhood, smoke a doobie, and just close my eyes and listen for an hour or longer.

I've also got a bridge to sell you guys if you're interested. Ffs