It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:11 pm

Post subject: equipt collecting or hoarding?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:53 pm 

equipt collecting or hoarding?

not knockin anybody . just curious why people collect

was on ebay searchin for new(old) equipt

then i realisd its boredam . i make what i like after many equipment switch ups . i enjoy a streamline studio

there's plenty extra equipt i could collect . but i guess its like back in the days . master your equipt until its reached its limit

discuss ..

Post subject: Re: equipt collecting or hoarding?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm 

I'm a hoarder.....I'll admit it.......I do it with EVERYTHING.

BUT with everything else I don't obsessively buy, so it's hard to tell I'm a hoarder.....except with music gear. I LOVE LOVE playing with something new. It inspires me (I don't NEED it for inspiration, but it DOES inspire). At first I thought I wanted to build 1 big studio, but quickly realized I prefer to bounce around using different set ups.

Now I'm at a time where the hoarding comes in to play. I want to sell a few things, but every time I get ready to sell something I get it in my head that I can't, that I need it & I start making excuses. I do this with everything even cheap broken items. I'm currently collecting used up lighters because "I can build a statue with them". UGH I need help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 pm 

I don't like selling my equipment.
I'll sell if I'm short on funds or i absolutely don't like the piece and get no special feelings from them... but I try to keep everything.
Some day i'd like to pass them on to my kids or if i meet younger kids who really want to get into producing, i loan them gear.

I do the same with my film cameras.

There're lots of redundancies but each piece has had major influences in what i do today. I just keep them packed away until someday when i get a big enough place or studio, I'll set them all out.

I missed using all hardware though, maybe I'll take some stuff out!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:08 pm 

Nice thread!

I hate owning things, feel like loose ends.

When I moved in with my wife 15 Years ago I walked in with my acoustic guitar and a beer box of misc music items. Since then I have acquired a bit more, not a lot but enough when me moved to our new house last fall I bugged out. I like it minimal and compact, I moved so much before married I became portable, and liked it. So now I put two items up every couple weeks on ebay and sell away, it's liberating to cleanse the things you don't need/use. I now am down to only a few guitar pedals and my electric left to sell. I have 3 keepers and that is a hard place to be with me, My Martin guitar, 404 and Lunchbox amp (though my 33 is quickly getting in that VIP list but hard to count due to how small). all the rest can go.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:53 pm 

Kegeratorz wrote:
Nice thread!

I hate owning things, feel like loose ends.

When I moved in with my wife 15 Years ago I walked in with my acoustic guitar and a beer box of misc music items. Since then I have acquired a bit more, not a lot but enough when me moved to our new house last fall I bugged out. I like it minimal and compact, I moved so much before married I became portable, and liked it. So now I put two items up every couple weeks on ebay and sell away, it's liberating to cleanse the things you don't need/use. I now am down to only a few guitar pedals and my electric left to sell. I have 3 keepers and that is a hard place to be with me, My Martin guitar, 404 and Lunchbox amp (though my 33 is quickly getting in that VIP list but hard to count due to how small). all the rest can go.

+1 , i don't like have the big studio with a ton of music gear (even if before i had one like this) . I don't want to be attached to physical things and i try to sell things and keep minimal as possible
i move every year or even less sometimes, i need portable and resistant equipment
The fact is every gear has his unique sound and force you to work with new workflows. I remember how the drums are badass on the S-20, how it's good to have two 404 and a big real synth but... now i'm minimal, i want my beats sounds minimal
After trying all the equipment you would, keep just your favs otherwise you'll buy every gears of the market (because this sampler has THIS extra feature, and this one make KICKS so goood and this one is fast and this one...)
ex: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6900
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8155
i think i'll keep only one 404, the TC-D5 and a light soundcard because this is my favorite setup (maybe an OP-1 but... is it really necessary ?)
I'll sell my SU-10 in July when i ll be back in France btw, anyone interested ?

Last edited by HELLOPILLOW on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:21 am 

i have 202, 303, 404sx, a ton of tape decks and only a couple work, two phonos, and a couple monitor speakers. that's all i have and i use it all lol. i'd never have equipment that i don't use. oh ya i also have an analog compressor and a korg monotron.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 am 

between my mortgage and other bills i can't get the things i want.

i want a beat thang, asr x, sp-808 and a CDX 1.

plus loads of other hardware. like a D2 and a numark CDX.

mixers and interfaces.

but all i have is my 606 and 505 along with my pc's and all my linux audio apps a have everything i need so i guess it's for the best.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 am 

i understand keeping stuff through sentiment / attachment . when i got the PS1 .. i felt like i was cheating on the Megadrive (Genisis) :lol: :lol: :lol: as much as i was excited for the new games .. i knew had spent alot of time with the old 1z

ive sold alot of music gear from not needing it . i had the 404sx since 2012 (i think) .. n sold it late last year when i bought a 505 . i don't regret it at all .. but sometimes you gotta trade through the attachment 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:28 pm 

Yeah that's what I'm workin on now (trade thru the attachment).......I also won't keep gear I don't use, but I'm not picky when it comes to gear, I'll play with whatever (of course I have favorites tho), so if I notice I haven't used something in a few weeks, I'll use it. So I'm basically forcing myself to use gear.

I've finally decided on the 2 device's that I'm going to sell first, so it's a step in the right direction. I think once I sell something it will get easier, it won't be as big of a deal to let something go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm 

@Sharris the first one is the hardest, after that it’s liberating.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:07 pm 

That's what I'm thinking & hoping :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:36 pm 

Don't tell anyone, but I have 5 turntables in my house... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:50 pm 

i have so. much. shit. piling up all around me.
ever seen those damu videos where hes just surrounded by records and wires in his crip? my room slowly but surely has become that without even realizing. i do def use everything i have tho. and its cool because my process involves throwing a record on, then kinda browse thru all my shit, reading a page from this book, throwing in a vhs and messing around with visuals and basically just goofing around till i get inspired by something. and its cool to have an overwhelming amount of stuff piled up because you forget certain things that you pick up, and then when you find it laying around its like the feeling of finding it in the wild but its already here at home lol.

as far as actual machines its just the 2 turntables, mixer, mpc2000xl, 404sx, and a dr groove 202. maybe the microkorg for certain things..

i would love to dial it down and be minimal like pillow over here, seeing how big of a sound dude gets with what seems like such little tools,
having tons of records is just too much fun tho i aint stopping!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:51 pm 

shit i just realized theres like 9 different tape decks in my room.. ok yeah i have a problem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 pm 

Cachos .. very funny .. especially the part about finding gear like it's in the wild :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes after parting with 1 equipt . the heartbreak is no more .. just part of refining .

5 turntables .. zoikes!

.. 9 tape decks .. yo .. ultra bounce . tape factory