It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Post subject: Re: equipt collecting or hoarding?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:16 am 

I wouldn’t be able to score the FilterQueen & 202 if I chased after the ASR10. I feel it that it’s got its fanbase, but I don’t know if I really want to sit down with something that ancient. I’ve already got a 224/S20/505, so with its old school SCSI, it felt like a nightmare if I wanted to expand it with a hard drive/CD Rom, with hoping whatever I spent on investing in it worked. I’d be at the mercy of eBay, and it’s not like I can send a email to a company that died out 20 years ago.

I could have invested into a Octatrack for $800, but I couldn’t figure out how to use the thing. They make it look sooooo easy online, but I couldn’t figure out how to load samples, presets, heck, anything! I’d rather just get the 202!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:19 am 

Yeah I’ve been fielding for an octatrack! But can’t be bothered to invest all that time to do something I can do in a few min on ableton live. But I like trying old gear for the novelty and exierience.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:11 pm 

It was both for me; collecting to hoard.

I once had the whole SP family from the MS-1 to SP606. Thought I was Roland's biggest fan. Then I realized, these machines are not being used but merely used on display to show peeps, "Hey, I got em all". Had to sell the excess samplers and to someone who needs them. Even bought an ESX, MPC500, ES2, MV8800, Digitakt and an MPC LIVE.

I gave up buying to hoard and concentrated on finding the right sampler and sticking with it. Right now, I sold off 3/4 of my lot and just keeping my MS-1 (my first), MPC LIVE, SP303 and DJS-1000 being my bottom piece.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:18 pm 

I remember when Roland released SP-505 it was supposed to be a studio sampler, then you pop out the smartmedia card and stick it in the SP-303 to take on gigs to perform. That was the initial plan but we users used the 505 for Electronica and 303 for Hip Hop and grey areas were formed around the SP folklore that 505s were coming to gigs anyway :lol: those days made me hoard.