It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

Post subject: Re: equipt collecting or hoarding?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm 

hehehe...I have 5 turntables too....... the first set I bought 21 years ago, the 2nd set I bought 16 years ago & the 5th I bought 2 years ago.....so I mean, 5 tt's over the course of 21 years, I don't think that's bad. Plus I'm giving 2 of them & a mixer to my brother once he gets his own place & I wouldn't make any money off the really old one's so I'm turning them into wall art.

Problem solved!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:30 pm 

I sold my bass amp some days ago. Sold a bunch of books and board games that I did not play or read in years too... I'm doing this for some months now, the first one is really liberating lol.

I'm kinda needing money now, so, I'm burning a bunch of the money on bills and stuff like that, but it's very nice to just keep the gear rolling in and out with these trades/sells. Since I'm new into that, I don't know what really fits, so, trying stuff out helps to discover stuff. Keeping them just for the sake is another thing but it's personal I think. Being buried by software is as bad to me as being buried by gear but there are people who like to have this stuff, the perfect studio. To me, it just gets in the way >.>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 pm 

chachoschavela wrote:
shit i just realized theres like 9 different tape decks in my room.. ok yeah i have a problem

i have 11 :oops: :oops: :oops:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 am 

This thread is getting deep! Yeah, I rescued 2 stanton decks and a cheap mixer from the trash a couple years ago. The girl was trashing her ex-boyfriend's stuff. They were missing counterweights and a couple power cords. I replaced everything and need to sell them. One of those DJ-in-a-box deals.

But I'll never get rid of my 2 black Tech 1210mk2s and my OG silver 1200. The 1210's are going for $1999-$2599 each now and I bought 2 for $450 about 13 years ago. The silver 1200 was $70 at a pawn shop 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:14 am 

Im just so impulsive in general its a bad tendency to mix with this hobby... since jan 2017 i got a 404sx (favorite piece), TR-8, 303, volca beats, volca keys, yamaha dx7, gemini xl-600 turntable, 1 onkyo cassette deck, mpc2kxl, bunch more random records with sampling in mind this time (always had some records) ... bunch of cords and shit.. sub bass pocket operator...werkstatt-01 moog synth kit, key 9 ehx pedal, voice box harmony machine ehx, korg ds-10 on nintendo ds...

So yea ive spent a lot fuck... i did trade the TR-8 for the dx7 (never used the tr-8 just like i never use the mpc).. gave the volca beats to my friend as a gift... was given the gemini xl 6 hundee as a gift...

Help me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:22 am 

Teddyp wrote:
Im just so impulsive in general its a bad tendency to mix with this hobby... since jan 2017 i got a 404sx (favorite piece), TR-8, 303, volca beats, volca keys, yamaha dx7, gemini xl-600 turntable, 1 onkyo cassette deck, mpc2kxl, bunch more random records with sampling in mind this time (always had some records) ... bunch of cords and shit.. sub bass pocket operator...werkstatt-01 moog synth kit, key 9 ehx pedal, voice box harmony machine ehx, korg ds-10 on nintendo ds...

So yea ive spent a lot fuck... i did trade the TR-8 for the dx7 (never used the tr-8 just like i never use the mpc).. gave the volca beats to my friend as a gift... was given the gemini xl 6 hundee as a gift...

Help me

whom tf buys a 2kxl and does not use :?: :?: :?: :( :( :(

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 pm 

I absolutely adore my MPC's. ADORE.
But I get they're not for everyone.

When I first got into beatmaking I learned how important a machine's workflow is. I bought a Microsampler, it sounds really good on paper & I thought it would be perfect for me, but I just couldn't get into it. I still try really hard to love the thing & I play with it here & there, but it was the first machine I bought that made me realize how important workflow is. If I don't like the workflow I won't use the machine.

There are a lot of people that love their Microsampler tho & can make fire beats on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm 

Sharris wrote:

If I don't like the workflow I won't use the machine.

Exactly why I sold my MPC500, wanted to love it but just could't get into it. Wouldn't mind trying a 1000 or live down the road though.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:30 pm 

Yeah the 500 is way more limiting than the 1000.....in a lot of ways.

For the most part when I use the 500 I use it with the sx. I sequence in the 500, then record the beat into the sx while playing with mutes on the 500 & effects in the sx. I have a lot of fun using them together.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 am 

I am a straight up hoarder, no one needs multiple of every SP or so many circuit bent weird things and synths. Like I don't need so many 90's Hilfiger jackets either or Ralph Lauren hats in every possible colour, or a different bicycle for every day of the week.

But yo, I never lost money on any music shit and hoarding so much gear has saved my ass many times when I suddenly end up broke. The Juno60 I bought for $200 that has been sat on a shelf for 10 years will surely help me out one day!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:05 pm 

KIYANI wrote:
I am a straight up hoarder, no one needs multiple of every SP or so many circuit bent weird things and synths. Like I don't need so many 90's Hilfiger jackets either or Ralph Lauren hats in every possible colour, or a different bicycle for every day of the week.

But yo, I never lost money on any music shit and hoarding so much gear has saved my ass many times when I suddenly end up broke. The Juno60 I bought for $200 that has been sat on a shelf for 10 years will surely help me out one day!

ayyy hook me up with some tommy gear i'll pay a good price!! depending on what size you are ahahaha

and... NO FUCKING WAY YOU GOT A FUCKING JUNO FOR 200???? WTF MAN. FUCK YOU SON!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: just playing, but you a lucky motherfucker!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: so jealous oh my fuck man. i have NO SYNTHS. if i had even one i'd make so much original beats :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm 

I hoard too. I’ve regretted letting go of gear in the past, and it’s not fun. Especially when u r dealing in used gear. Having a really clean unit that functions well is definitely worth more than just the sticker price. Of course if u have something that u need or want & u can convert some unused gear into immediate inspiration, that’s also a good thing. Eventually the out of production stuff will start to die out... hard to imagine that the prices won’t continue to go up. The safety net concept is a good one too!

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 pm 

Oh man, I have bought mad gear, that I swore I would sit down & master. But I’d be too busy girl chasing, and the gear just sat there getting untouched. Sold them off & started over. And over. And put money on gear I told GuitarCenter I wanted, but never came back for(and lost every penny on what I put down)...

I’ve came just $80 shy of owning a MPC 2500, until my roommate said we’d get evicted if I bought it. Had to get every penny back from the pawn shop so it could get us caught up on rent. I was depressed as hell about never getting my first MPC home, but, I have accumulated so far...

Volca Kick, FM, Beats, Bass (Lost Keys & Sample to the pawn shop)
Yamaha DX200
Boss SP505, and I just put $45 down on a SP202 today
Moog MF104M Moogerfooger delay pedal
Korg ER-1 MK2 & EA-1 Electribes (Lost my EMX to the pawn shop, but I probably want a ESX first over a EMX)
Pocket Operators Sub, Arcade, Office, Factory, and I have a good deal on Tonic (Which I pick up next weekend)
Zoom ST-224
Akai S20 (has a pretty much broken power supply, so I need to find a replacement on eBay)
Korg Mini KP pad & Mini Oscillatior
A Casio keyboard I meant to get circuit bent, but never got around to getting it moded...
Akai S2000 that I never use
Mackie CFX20 mixer
KRK Rockit Studio Monitors
Vestax portable turntable
Electrix MoFX effect unit
Electrix FilterFactory (just put 25% down on that today)

Got a ton of CDs, a decent amount of cheap vinyl, a dead XBox360, a working PS3, a dead IPad, and 2 dead PCs.

Out of all I got, I think all I’d really part with is my Akai S2000. (A impulse buy, that just sits in a rack doing nothing). Sometimes I swear I need everything I own to come up with what I want, but I do need to get around to getting a Mac desktop, so I can start sequencing everything I own into Ableton, or at the very least, put some beats online already.

But there’s gear out there I’d be up for getting, IF I can afford to. A SP555/404, a MPC2000 or 2500, I’ve been tempted by a Ensoniq ASR-10 (but daaaamn is that sucker heavy!).

Am I gear hoarding? Eh, I guess so. But so what? If you’re collecting comic books, there’s some you’d love to own, but some you can’t because they’re worth mad money & you’re just scraping by.

Sometimes I go through phases where I just don’t want to connect audio cables, power supplies, MIDI cables to my stuff, and I’d rather just think about the next thing I want. Anyway, I can’t worry about gear I lost or sold. I can only focus on what I own now, and trying to use as much of it with what I own now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm 

only thing i regret selling away was my OP-1.
when i had it, it was redundant and i had other tools that did a better job but it was soo much fun to use.

o well, it was a time when i quit my job and i needed cash to pay rent :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm 

Headphones wrote:
Oh man, I have bought mad gear, that I swore I would sit down & master. But I’d be too busy girl chasing, and the gear just sat there getting untouched. Sold them off & started over. And over. And put money on gear I told GuitarCenter I wanted, but never came back for(and lost every penny on what I put down)...

I’ve came just $80 shy of owning a MPC 2500, until my roommate said we’d get evicted if I bought it. Had to get every penny back from the pawn shop so it could get us caught up on rent. I was depressed as hell about never getting my first MPC home, but, I have accumulated so far...

Volca Kick, FM, Beats, Bass (Lost Keys & Sample to the pawn shop)
Yamaha DX200
Boss SP505, and I just put $45 down on a SP202 today
Moog MF104M Moogerfooger delay pedal
Korg ER-1 MK2 & EA-1 Electribes (Lost my EMX to the pawn shop, but I probably want a ESX first over a EMX)
Pocket Operators Sub, Arcade, Office, Factory, and I have a good deal on Tonic (Which I pick up next weekend)
Zoom ST-224
Akai S20 (has a pretty much broken power supply, so I need to find a replacement on eBay)
Korg Mini KP pad & Mini Oscillatior
A Casio keyboard I meant to get circuit bent, but never got around to getting it moded...
Akai S2000 that I never use
Mackie CFX20 mixer
KRK Rockit Studio Monitors
Vestax portable turntable
Electrix MoFX effect unit
Electrix FilterFactory (just put 25% down on that today)

Got a ton of CDs, a decent amount of cheap vinyl, a dead XBox360, a working PS3, a dead IPad, and 2 dead PCs.

Out of all I got, I think all I’d really part with is my Akai S2000. (A impulse buy, that just sits in a rack doing nothing). Sometimes I swear I need everything I own to come up with what I want, but I do need to get around to getting a Mac desktop, so I can start sequencing everything I own into Ableton, or at the very least, put some beats online already.

But there’s gear out there I’d be up for getting, IF I can afford to. A SP555/404, a MPC2000 or 2500, I’ve been tempted by a Ensoniq ASR-10 (but daaaamn is that sucker heavy!).

Am I gear hoarding? Eh, I guess so. But so what? If you’re collecting comic books, there’s some you’d love to own, but some you can’t because they’re worth mad money & you’re just scraping by.

Sometimes I go through phases where I just don’t want to connect audio cables, power supplies, MIDI cables to my stuff, and I’d rather just think about the next thing I want. Anyway, I can’t worry about gear I lost or sold. I can only focus on what I own now, and trying to use as much of it with what I own now.

I wasn't a fan of the ASR. I felt it was pretty unintuitive.

Look into a modded SP1200!!!