It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

Post subject: I FINALLY DID IT.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 pm 

Ok folks, New to SP forums but I've been lurking for a minute.

After years of producing in the box (FL, Reason) I've decided to finally buy an OG 404 with chroma caps for 250 on ebay. I'm no stranger to chopping or sampling, but I wanted that warm 404 sound i hear about oh so often.

Any workflow tips for a newbie? I'm ready for this baby to get here so I can finally be uncuffed from my computer.

Twitter: HZH1L
Soundcloud: GLEEZOPENDOORS

Post subject: Re: I FINALLY DID IT.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm 

if youve got a DAW .. where you can record into . might be worth looking at .. making loops on the 404 .. then adding layers in the DAW ..

if not .. i'd advise either getting a portastudio ( to bounce beats ) .. for example the Boss BR80 ( i use . n its an absolute treat . very portable . EQ . Reverb . 8 channels ( with fader levels) .. plus its got guitar fx for input

.. or buy a looper .. this is the tightest work flow ive found .. trynna resample layer after layer just isnt a quick enough process inside the 404 alone ( some guys may dispute this .. but for me personally .. ive found an issue)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 pm 

Co-sign on picking up a solid 8-track recorder. I’d recommend a Tascam dp01-fx. U can pick em up cheap. Upgrade the internal HD. Record and bounce ur 404 beats... then use ur 404 as an fx unit through the external send on the dp01-fx. Plus u can export ur master as a wav and plug into ur computer via usb for file transfers. No sound card needed.

This is a good way to stay off the computer if that’s what ur after. I’ve never paired any SP w a computer setup... seems sacrilegious to me, but I know a lot of people do it. No offense to anyone who does. I know this is a personal thing.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 pm 

Treat it like an instrument, more than a mere sampler.
It's peculiar, has some disadvantages (velocity no 1 there), but overall brings out the best in you - just by forcing you to work around it to find your own workflow.

Personally I like to chop samples on PC, it's quicker that way for me, and then load them into SP - so I can spend more time fiddling with them, running through efx, resampling them, etc

Get yourself a bigger SD card. Better to have empty space, then to risk hiccups (which sometimes can occur if your card is full, but I guess you know that, since you have experience already)

I use the best possible RCA cables, not just the sound quality (which does improve enormously compared to those cheap ones), but simply more reliability.

Cheers mate, welcome to the cult

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 am 

Ghost Bazz wrote:
I’d recommend a Tascam dp01-fx. U can pick em up cheap. Upgrade the internal HD. Record and bounce ur 404 beats... then use ur 404 as an fx unit through the external send on the dp01-fx.

that's why i bought it back in 2006
warm sound too
miss this beast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:12 am 

gleezopendoors wrote:
Ok folks, New to SP forums but I've been lurking for a minute.

After years of producing in the box (FL, Reason) I've decided to finally buy an OG 404 with chroma caps for 250 on ebay. I'm no stranger to chopping or sampling, but I wanted that warm 404 sound i hear about oh so often.

Any workflow tips for a newbie? I'm ready for this baby to get here so I can finally be uncuffed from my computer.

404 doesn't have a warm sound, it's digital dude.
why does anyone care that it has "chroma caps"

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:39 am 

zendanisdead wrote:

Kinda like your posts have no point whatsoever, just dumb trolling and attention craving.
Kinda like you touching your peepee. Now, why would anyone care about you touching your peepee, Zen?

Are we reaching you already? THIS is what we all talk about 'dawg' - you took time to bash on a new member for no reason whatsoever.
TONE. IT. DOWN. Muppet.

FYI He didn't say 'warm analogue', he said just 'warm'. Which is a matter of taste, something you apparently lack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:22 am 

LoopmantrA wrote:
zendanisdead wrote:

Kinda like your posts have no point whatsoever, just dumb trolling and attention craving.
Kinda like you touching your peepee. Now, why would anyone care about you touching your peepee, Zen?

Are we reaching you already? THIS is what we all talk about 'dawg' - you took time to bash on a new member for no reason whatsoever.
TONE. IT. DOWN. Muppet.

FYI He didn't say 'warm analogue', he said just 'warm'. Which is a matter of taste, something you apparently lack.

if anyone's bashing, you're bashing me man :? :? a digital device does not have warm sound, especially a 404 which just sounds almost exactly like whatever is inputted without hardly any artifacts or "color"

and saying u bought a 404 with "chroma caps" is like saying u bought a ferrari with a steering wheel cover. no one cares about the latter. this guy is prolly a 14 year old kid i'm assuming

idk how many times i have to explain myself that i don't give a fuck about your attention, i want anything but YOUR attention anyway. it's funny that people get mad when someone isn't serious about shit. i come in this forum lighthearted and joking around and people take offense like i'm some kind of heathen. you're pathetic.

i'm only offering my opinion and you do not need to criticize me for it. if you don't like it, keep to yourself. shut the fuck up.
thanks!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:25 am 

LoopmantrA wrote:
zendanisdead wrote:

TONE. IT. DOWN. Muppet.

btw you literally joined like a month ago. i've been on this forum for years. fuck off dude.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 am 

LoopmantrA wrote:

btw btw btw you obviously don't know what "warm" sound refers to. words don't just mean whatever your dumb ass decides you want them to mean.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:23 am 

Workflow tip 1:

Sample/resample in mono if you plan to play multiple pads at once.

Tip #2

Check out resample methods

Tip#3

Check out 99bars method.

Tip4

Have fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:44 am 

aside from the back n forths ..

the DP01 is nice . i had it ( minus the fx though )

the chroma caps feel way better than the stock controls . tbh though if only the 404 had the same sturdy controls as the 303 ..

anyway .. HAPPY SP'ing . certainly a learning curve . enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am 

whilst very abrupt .. gotta agree with Zendan . there is no warm sound ( unless we're talkning the Tascam DP01 .. i can attest to that)

...never the less . 404 = different sounding ..

each peace of equipment has his own feel . depends how you use it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:47 pm 

A shame this community is affected so negatively by one user, hope it’s a passing thing cause this place has been awesome to me and so many others.

Putting the assholery aside, congrats bro!!

Props to the resample in mono comment, Areed, I still forget to do this and pay for it.

Check out the beat battles, it’s cool to mess with given samples even if you don’t submit them. I’ve played with most since I’m on here just to find my flow.

Happy sampling and welcome, as said before this place is a wealth of knowledge.

Edit: oh and btw, I love my Chroma Caps, best $8 I’ve ever spent.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:08 pm 

zendanisdead wrote:
a digital device does not have warm sound, especially a 404 which just sounds almost exactly like whatever is inputted without hardly any artifacts or "color"

hi
all the samplers are digital machines, stricly talking, i'm ok with that, however they colour in some way the samples you put in; for example an mpc2000xl has different colour thar sp303 and viceversa, or an sp1200 is different form asrx...it all dipends on A/D converters and on digital algorythms (basically the way internal software cut or not certain frequencies) and so is for the 404...
...i used to say the tascam recorder has a warm sound too, maybe is not technically the right expression, : ) but it's ok
another example is the yamaha dx7: very digital synth in any form, but it could do warm sounds too...(not analogue, eh, just warm)
cheers