It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

Post subject: Re: I FINALLY DID IT.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 am 

ellaguru wrote:
zendanisdead wrote:
a digital device does not have warm sound, especially a 404 which just sounds almost exactly like whatever is inputted without hardly any artifacts or "color"

hi
all the samplers are digital machines, stricly talking, i'm ok with that, however they colour in some way the samples you put in; for example an mpc2000xl has different colour thar sp303 and viceversa, or an sp1200 is different form asrx...it all dipends on A/D converters and on digital algorythms (basically the way internal software cut or not certain frequencies) and so is for the 404...
...i used to say the tascam recorder has a warm sound too, maybe is not technically the right expression, : ) but it's ok
another example is the yamaha dx7: very digital synth in any form, but it could do warm sounds too...(not analogue, eh, just warm)
cheers

all of the samplers you specified are older samplers, they compress sound much harder than a fuckin 404 man. a 404 is extremely modern (came out in 2005) and barely compresses the sound (tbh almost lossless in my opinion because the untrained ear cannot tell the difference between the input and output.)

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:10 am 

andy wrote:

Speaking of warmth... which is very subjective...
i think the tasacm and older recorders sound warm due to the lower fidelity, lacking clarity and definition. Warming something up could just be something as simple as adding noise in the background or using the flutter efx. The 404 compressor warms things up imo.

also i think another point is that new digital sampler/recorders might sound "colder" because the the new tech is doing a better job converting the sound waves. where as the in imperfections of older gear adds "warmth"

any analog recording interface inherently has warm sound.

i don't know if i agree with the fact that older samplers have warmer sound, but they definitely have a grittier sound... a good sound that i fuck with a lot. i agree that newer samplers have colder sound. well put.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 am 

Ghost Bazz wrote:
I think Ella nailed it... as far as my understanding. Different converting hardware within the gear affects the EQ slightly. I’ve always though of a warm sound as having a little bump on the low frequencies. Distortion and fuzz are defects in recording/sampling gear... unless u r intentionally dropping the bit rate or sample freq. I wouldn’t characterize that as adding warmth.

That being said... guess I see the technology point too. Think it’s pretty well summed up in the classic vinyl vs cd debate.

yes warm sound, from analog recording interfaces, has amplified low frequency but in a very natural, round shape on the eq, with a gradual drop off toward the lowest end... also has an almost steep drop off where the high frequency cut off is (the more hi-fi and better spec equipment, the higher the frequency range, and vice versa for lo-fi shit) and the inbetween of the spectrum has waves of course because analog is never perfect... the higher fidelity better quality systems have closer to flat.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 am 

andy wrote:
thesisdrs wrote:
Ghost Bazz wrote:
Don’t trip about putting up “beginner” beats in there. No one passes judgement. It’s a very supportive group.

i don't know, man. I was told one time my beats were shit lol

Either way, work on your craft. SP forever!

It’s all good bro. You got haters. That means you’re doing something right. jk jk :mrgreen:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 am 

Ill Green wrote:
C'mon guys he loves the sampler, can't a nicka express his awoken enthusiasm without getting shot at :mrgreen:

But now on the subject of analog and digital, samplers always had been up with technology of its time. An MPC60 in the '80s was considered hi-tech and claimed a clean sound. At the end of the day, a sampler is a recorder, so consider what you put in because thats what coming out. You want dusty beats then sample dusty records. You want warmth then you sample from a tube amp. Though the sampler's AD/DA converters play a role but its meaningless without a preamp and an amplifier to record it. Thats how you get warmth from samplers.

this guy knows his shit

IIIII wrote: