It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

Post subject: Re: holographic sp-404sx stickers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 am 

forest wrote:
On the comic, the characters in there would just be bumping on these pop icons, it wouldn't be what was driving the storyline. When it happens, Coca-Cola would be replaced by Rocket Cola or anything like that - just as an example. I'm just trying to share this point of view. I do not believe in these kinds of rights at all... if we apply this logic on a broader sense, no one would be playing guitars, since it's someone's else design, or you would have to pay royalties if you want a guitar tattoo lol. BUT they exist and people force humans to live by them.

It's not driving the storyline but they would be using the legendary status of the tools to give the story more credibility... (everybody knows ak's as badass machine guns, mustangs as fast cars, etc.)
People would be able to relate more... so more comic book sales. (Even rocket cola in the iconic coca cola bottle will be seen as coca cola)

The rest that you said is spot on... couldn't agree more.

Intellectual property laws are a complex matter.
There's guys on instagram that make knockoff masters of the universe and starwars figs and their work is just so awesome.. (check out @barbarianrage or @viktorsvintage)

For me (and i think for a lot of companies too) there is a big difference between plain jacking some design or logo or paying tribute..
These are stickers and will remain stickers, i will not slap them on shirts, mugs, pillow or phone cases. And my intention is not to build my/a brand on the back of rolands "image".
This is (like Sharris said) fan artwork for other fans and sticker collectors. :)

@gabanoise_records i don't know what you mean with "overproducing", but i was actually already working on 1boss related item.. not sure anymore if i'm gonna post it here when it's finished tho... ;)

Thx to all for your thoughts and feedback.. 1 love!

p.s. one more thing.. y'all know that mf doom's mask is the mask that russell crowe wore in the movie gladiator. Dooms entire image is built on marvel's dr doom and that gladiator mask. there's people selling doom mask rings... would they need approval from doom or from the gladiator movies costume designer/ production company? would doom have to pay percentage of his revenue (vinyl, merch, etc) to marvel or universal pictures? food for thought. let me know what y'all think..
pz!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm 

Sweet stickers bruh!

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:05 pm 

Great reply ultra3200. I agree, it's a complex matter. I also think there's a lot of grey, just like everything in life, it's not black & white, every situation is different, every person is different. & ANYONE can sue ANYONE over ANYTHING. Doesn't mean they would win. Your situation, I wouldn't think there is anything to worry about, I don't think Roland would come after you. I was just curious about the laws........& not even saying "you must follow the law" I've broken plenty of laws. Shit, speeding is breaking the law.
& I think the reason behind the stickers is awesome.
I admit tho..... I personally wouldn't do it. If I was to sell stickers, I would create my own design, if it was a beat machine, I might make it look similar to other samplers, but put something like Beat Life on it or whatever (unless someone else is using that name). But that's just me.
I totally understand that you love your sx (I love mine too), you wanted some stickers of it, other fans of the sx loved it & wanted some too. You're just spreadin the love & supporting Roland as a fan. & hey, if you can get some beers out of the deal too, why not :wink: Plus you put a little spin on it. Got the sx drippin. If there's still some available this weekend I'm planning on buyin one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:24 pm 

I will stick with what I said haha. If there is a giant Coca-Cola on the front page of the Spiderman HQ, it would pay Royalties to the brand or it would have to change its name to something like Rocket-Cola. If it's inside the magazine, in the story, it's different, as you said, it's easy to a person related to the HQ world, but the products on there will not be central, you know?

Of course that we can have like Wolverine sitting on a Mustang on the front page and this would look cool to any teenager at 90's and they would sell 'cause of it lol, I can't agree more and here I get to your another question and I will just say what Sharris said, but using my words. All depends. We have rules for these things, but they apply when people who have the power want to apply them lol.

I think that Marvel could just deny Doom from using their thing, since they are quite powerful (don't know about 10 years ago), but what would they gain with it? Nothing, so, the matter just rests. It's cool to them if Doom does this branding stuff for them, both get paid at the end of the day, but most important, Doom doesn't get any of Marvel's, he just sums to their money pile. But this is this case, and even if I'm right or wrong about this one, the thing is that law applies differently to different people, so, I don't think that we could dig a real general answer. (and just going back to the Wolverine and his Mustang, it was like this, Marvel would not be stealing from Mustang sellers' money pile, it would be - at least - adding, no wallets would be warmed and this is a pass in the royalties realm I think.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 pm 

Nice stickers btw!

I always find so much irony in these conversations. The SP-404 has probably been used to break more copyright laws in the last decade and a half than any other sampler before it.

Here's a great documentary about copyright laws and intellectual property laws and how they came to be in the US. https://vimeo.com/8040182
I'm not much of a fan of the artist featured in this film or the mash-up genre in general, but there are plenty of good facts in it.

The Walt Disney corporation, after Walt Disney's death, was one of the biggest players in getting the earliest copyright laws set in motion. A company that had built their entire foundation on collecting different culture's folklore stories, that had been passed down from generation to generation through spoken word. Some of them had been written into books, but some of them were so old that they no longer had an author. But Disney built a empire off of taking other people's work and turning them into animated children's stories. There were no laws saying you couldn't do this when it was done.

If you research classical composers or painters, almost ever single one of them built off of what the one before them was doing. It seems like every artist needs a primer or inspiration from others to make their own art. Especially in the beginning.

Intellectual property laws have gotten so ridiculous in other non-art areas, that corporations will straight up claim copyrights on a plant that has been going in the wild for millennia, just so they can control and profit of it.

In the culture we live in today, my opinion is take anything. Just try to make it better or learn something from the process.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:38 pm 

took all of 3 seconds to order that 3 pack

AutoTheory : https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/autotheory/
https://forum.reasontalk.com/search.php?author_id=11836&sr=posts
https://soundcloud.com/w1pl0c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:49 pm 

Yeah, Hungryman, 100% agree and Sharris I agree with almost everything you said.

We are speaking about copyrights and stuff like that but it's a new thing under the sun. A long time ago people would not even care to sign their composing - literature or music - because everything was kinda flowing in the culture, made no sense to claim something as theirs but when money or derivates got into the game, things changed. The reasons to sign something can vary but fear of oblivion and money kinda lead all them, if you do not have that, there isn't almost any reason.

Latins had a kinda different point of rights. They did the emulatio (as emulation XD thing). It was something natural to grab some art piece and emulate it, but trying to make it better, you could expand the boundaries by doing that and improve the art as a whole.

Oh... And because we are talking about that and spoke about Sarah, this appeared here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg4gp2jDqtk ... .lesssleep

She stole this art and made her design lol

I just thought that would add to the conversation.

Oh, just a quick edit. The "I don't quantize my beats" as she said is something that Dilla said ages ago and everyone says nowadays to be a cool cat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 pm 

Huh.......interesting Forest......about No Quantize & that design (it's the exact same design on the shirt she's sellin)....... I wonder if the 'designer' is gettin paid a portion of the profits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 pm 

Sharris wrote:
Huh.......interesting Forest......about No Quantize & that design (it's the exact same design on the shirt she's sellin)....... I wonder if the 'designer' is gettin paid a portion of the profits

I'm not in the mood to watch her video again, but I'm quite sure that she said something like "oh, I got this IPad some months ago, started to do some art again and designed this stuff that I'm putting into these clothes", so, I really think that she isn't giving a shit to who designed the first one. Did you notice that she has an SP404 opposing this 303 on the Instagram post?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 pm 

That's what I thought too! I swore she said that, about getting back into art & designing her clothes.
Her shirt has the exact same design, except it's a 404sx instead of the 303. Wow.

I'll admit the only reason I watch her videos is due to her being a girl..... not a lot of girl beat makers makin videos....... I'm thinkin about makin some. Maybe some day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:09 am 

I enjoy her youtube stuff but as a lot of people are doing this last year, she kinda went from a music-oriented channel to gear, plugins and these kinda of stuff. Not blaming, just not my kind of thing to see on a full day when I hit on youtube to air a bit (I usually take some time at weekends to watch all she had released lol).

She is doing a lot of work for a year now and looks like a cool person. Hope she does not step on this shady kind of thing.

There is SoundCloud account called BeatBrasilis, they are a collective that reunites once a week and does a beat battle, I think they did three or maybe four sessions just with girls. I can track this for you if you want, but I don't know if these girls are making any online stuff and it would be in portuguese, so XD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:10 am 

That's some funny shit. This thread should have been under 'originality and copying' or something to that affect. But it got jacked also. lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:12 am 

forest wrote:
It's cool to them if Doom does this branding stuff for them, both get paid at the end of the day, but most important, Doom doesn't get any of Marvel's, he just sums to their money pile.

A lot of great statements on here, but I think that quote exactly sums it up, it is all just free advertising.

For one roland is not going to try and sue over stickers and two why would they, these stickers, t-shirts, mugs, mousepads, only add to the cult following of roland products, which in turn makes them more money.

Ultra3200 - hopefully this doesn't deter you from posting up the boss stickers you are making, as I'm pretty sure everyone posting here thinks these stickers look great. It just sparked an interesting discussion, which in turn is keeping your sticker "sale" thread at the top of the forum. Free advertising!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:22 am 

Im sorry, I DID jack this thread, I didn't mean to, Im still learning forum edicit (edacit, edicate?)

Again, I like the stickers, I'm done debating, I talk too much (was bored at work).
I was thinkin the same thing as Crane tho, we're attracting interest to the thread. So that makes me feel a little better :)

& that Sarah girl does seem cool, my post sounded harsh. I was just surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:52 pm 

etiquette? (that's french)

don't worry bout jacking this thread sharris (& forest), thx for keeping it alive... ;)

was really surprised to read that stuff about sarah & beats>sleep ...
being inspired is one thing, but for me personally jacking a whole concept is a bit crossing the line.. don't wanna judge her though, because it's possible she didn't do this on purpose. as a graphic designer you sometimes come up with shit that actually already exists and that you subconsciously saw somewhere on the internet a few weeks before. that shit happens.

@crane i will surely post those boss stickers if they turn out to be dope enough..

@hungryman dope reply, gonna check out that video.

@wiploc thank you for your order man, will send those stickers out tomorrow..

pz!