It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

Post subject: Re: I have 500€ to spend !
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 pm 

I'd rather get a Moog Subphatty than that Op1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm 

thesisdrs wrote:

of course yea.. if you want to pay double for the name "moog", be 100x more limited than youd be with a op-1 and play 1 key at a time like an analog purist fucktard then yea.. go for it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:52 pm 

I can totally understand someone preferring a Sub Phatty over an OP-1. & I can understand someone preferring the OP-1. They're completely different beasts. I'd like both :)
The OP-1 seems like it's really fun to play. To me that would be the reason to get it, it's fun, portable & you can do a lot with it. I wouldn't buy it for it's sound....some people would, if you really like the synths in it.
The Sub Phatty, in my opinion, sounds amazing. It's cheaper than the OP-1. & would add some mean, REALLY mean basslines to your beats. I personally don't play bassline chords or drum chords or lead chords. So mono makes sense to me.
I'm not a purist, but I like analog synths. So I'm just a regular fucktard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 am 

Hey thx for all your replies

So many suggestions ! A few are too expensive, wouldn't fit my needs imo (op1) or are simply too big for my living room hidden « home studio ». But I think I will follow the advice to get quality gear to sell it easily and simply to get the « real » thing.

Definitly I won't buy a microkorg/mininova size synth. If I can't tweak it easily, I know I won't use it. Sub-menus are evil.
I'm not convinced by the minilogue either. Not sexy enough.

There are very nice monosynths, but I think I would like / need more versatility.

I really consider a used rack va synth : ms2000, access virus B (or C), novation nova, novation KS rack, nord rack 2. All are in the 500€ price range in France. Any opinions about them ?
Of course I will need a controler too. Well, I dunno. Maybe a cheap synth rather than a keystep ? This casio cz101 looks nice ! Of course this will exceed 500€ ^^

A tape deck is a great idea, I'm looking for a really really cheap one for months. I'm sure there are unused ones in my family. I must try the « Allo, gran'ma ? » trick ;)

I'm still very tempted by building a good pedal board too. There are so many deadly pedals out there. This Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl is sooooo appealing to me.

Anyways I think I won't buy another sampler. Except a good deal of course. I let a sp202 (with a memory card) go for 80€ two weeks ago...

Ps : I'm a bit high, excuse my terrible frenchglish ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:36 am 

Hey for the price of an used op1, you can get a sp555, a sp303 and a sp202 :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:47 am 

There`s alot of cool gear out there it's hard to choose sometimes.
Especially when high :)
& alot of factors.
Price, # of features, sound, functions,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 am 

booyungg wrote:
thesisdrs wrote:

of course yea.. if you want to pay double for the name "moog", be 100x more limited than youd be with a op-1 and play 1 key at a time like an analog purist fucktard then yea.. go for it

well it's like $899 US and the Subphatty is like $789 US via sweet water... so it wouldn't be paying double. albeit the moog is a mono synth... that moog tone is orgasmic (not like the minimoog voyager but hey)

I seen a Moog Rogue which is even more limited than the subphatty for about the same price as the Subphatty and decided to save up for a minilogue... Analog (not virtual analog) 4 voice synth. i heard some of the presets the other night and realized that it's a beast.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:00 am 

Saladolar wrote:
Hey thx for all your replies

So many suggestions ! A few are too expensive, wouldn't fit my needs imo (op1) or are simply too big for my living room hidden « home studio ». But I think I will follow the advice to get quality gear to sell it easily and simply to get the « real » thing.

Definitly I won't buy a microkorg/mininova size synth. If I can't tweak it easily, I know I won't use it. Sub-menus are evil.
I'm not convinced by the minilogue either. Not sexy enough.

There are very nice monosynths, but I think I would like / need more versatility.

When it comes to synthesizers... it comes down to this $$$
You don't have much options with your budget and your wants/needs
perhaps you can get a Novation Mininova or a Roland JD-Xi Integrated Analog/Digital Synth with 129 voice polyphony *digital* & 1 voice *analog* :( you can luck out and get a used Novation Ultranova. I don't think you're able to afford an Access Virus... even if it is used.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:11 am 

Sharris wrote:
I can totally understand someone preferring a Sub Phatty over an OP-1. & I can understand someone preferring the OP-1. They're completely different beasts. I'd like both :)
The OP-1 seems like it's really fun to play. To me that would be the reason to get it, it's fun, portable & you can do a lot with it. I wouldn't buy it for it's sound....some people would, if you really like the synths in it.
The Sub Phatty, in my opinion, sounds amazing. It's cheaper than the OP-1. & would add some mean, REALLY mean basslines to your beats. I personally don't play bassline chords or drum chords or lead chords. So mono makes sense to me.
I'm not a purist, but I like analog synths. So I'm just a regular fucktard.

Well maybe people want moog synths with more than one voice. with what they lack in polyphony they make up in tone. I'll use a digital or analog synth but i do notice that the analog tones from the moog were so creamy... especially when i listen to George Duke albums... the lead on Feel (original sample for mind touch by Madlib) is fantastic. Because i'm broke, i'm gonna still go analog but go for the Minilogue because it has 4 voices like the Microkorg.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:22 pm 

you could sample single notes of the moog onto SP pads and make chords

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:04 pm 

^^that would be cool. too much work for me personally.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:18 pm 

Quote:
I don't think you're able to afford an Access Virus... even if it is used.

A virus B costs about 450€ in France. Sure, it's not the last funky synth from Access, but still very useable, imo.
The other rack synths of the list are under 500€ too :
> ms2000 rack : 400€
> novation nova "desktop" : 300€ or less
> ks rack : 350€
> nord rack 2 : 450€ (sound & workflow look really cool)

BUT WAIT : I found this and this.
I'm pretty ignorant about midi & stuffs but that looks dope (and cheaper than a ms2000) !
On youtube you can see the pcr2000 working with the junos 1 & 2. This is amazing and could change my mind about my future synth, really.
What do you think about it ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:25 pm 

yaa i didnt know the subphatty was cheaper i might be talkin out of my ass here but in the end if moog is worth more than a op-1 for you, it all comes down to preferences and tastes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:09 am 

Saladolar wrote:
Quote:
A virus B costs about 450€ in France. Sure, it's not the last funky synth from Access, but still very useable, imo.
The other rack synths of the list are under 500€ too :
> ms2000 rack : 400€
> novation nova "desktop" : 300€ or less
> ks rack : 350€
> nord rack 2 : 450€ (sound & workflow look really cool)

BUT WAIT : I found this and this.
I'm pretty ignorant about midi & stuffs but that looks dope (and cheaper than a ms2000) !
On youtube you can see the pcr2000 working with the junos 1 & 2. This is amazing and could change my mind about my future synth, really.
What do you think about it ?

That MicroK for programming parameters on the microkorg is quite dope. Never really seen anything or heard of anything like that until now. From what i recall, you don't own one so to buy both would be out of your budget no? . Some of the sounds on the virus were ok but i personally don't prefer that over the minilogue... its all about you're preference though. I never used midi on hardware synths before but i would assume that is a simple process. Especially with these latter keyboards like from acorn instruments or m-audio that do not require drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:16 am 

you seem to like digital synthesis over analog synthesis. out of all the synths you displayed... i prefer the sounds of the Novation Nova. if you already have a midi keyboard and want a hardware synth to manipulate... i'd say the Novation Nova would be the best choice.