It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 pm

Post subject: Re: Concept albums
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:06 am 

SOUL CHOPPA wrote:
-Instead of just producing 40 tracks which only 5 are useable , why not go in with a plan to make each track you make in coherence with your concept from the jump & if along the way it doesn’t fit with you me criteria start over ? (Asking) though I do agree you can fall into a rabbit hole in the process

-I feel if you produce massively it’s not really true the idea to begin with imo it’s like saying “ okay I’ll select these tracks and make up a concept to tie them in together.” Opposed to disciplining yourself to compose each track to fit with the theme to begin (like writing a book) I can’t imagine an author writing hundreds of pages of randomness and then picking each page to make a book lol

It seems we're acquainted as spicy food connoisseurs Soul Choppa ((: All I meant was that you have a chance to mess up severely your workflow. It is usually built around techniques you've developed to overcome the limitations of the machine. If happens that your concept for the album turns those limitations into Himalayas there's chances you'll switch loyalty and become that errand soul devoured from within by gear lust in that "semiological abstract maize". Sometimes you've got to admit that restrictions can become quite comfortable as they make decisions for you. It makes you creative also but chance has a great role in it and that makes it fun. Being creative within a concept means that you've chosen freely the limitations that will apply to you in the process. I read one day an interview of Flylo and he got asked if he's ever gonna put some SP404 beats again. He just said no. Maybe he meant that he was now in a process of getting rid of unwanted limitations. In my opinion concept albums is kind of reserved to taught musicians could it be Madlib, Damon Albarn, Daft Punk, Prince, Portishead or experimental artists (are we?). You've got to be able to be consistent on every tracks and, again, that doesn't mean bangers. It means more following your own will so that if any critics come down your way they'll have to come to the conclusion that you definitely made a real aesthetic choice that has some reasons to it and that is undeniably yours even though they don't like it. It means also that you are filling an empty space. What you will contribute is that necessary to the genre, to the sound in general ? I'm no taught musician, my workflow is really slow, I do it for the pleasure of looping "babyly" what catch my ears and for that anti-consumerism stance you can get out of it... if it was me I would hardly have a better ratio than 20 mades for 5 that are "valid". It is just numbers and I voluntarily used the biblical number 40. It could be more or less. Could you really know how much you need to experiment, try and test before you know where to head or when you've find your way ? When is your creation really finished ? There's a challenge for sure. You will change or stay the same after but generally speaking making those instrumentals we're dealing with emotions and with our own in the first place. Better be satisfied even for a short while than abiding unquenched to some social network driven deadline.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 am 

I liked Lupe Fiasco's the cool. IMO his greatest album.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 pm 

This one is old but in my books it's the greatest concept album ever:

Lightnin' Rod - Hustlers Convention LP 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysJyAtTQx0

It's like rap before rap. Highly recommend listening to it straight thru! Dig?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm 

plexxsounds wrote:
This one is old but in my books it's the greatest concept album ever:

Lightnin' Rod - Hustlers Convention LP 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysJyAtTQx0

It's like rap before rap. Highly recommend listening to it straight thru! Dig?

Mos def, I actually listened to this last week for the first time and watched the documentary. Lightin Rod and the Last Poets collective as whole changed the way I approach writing. I still need to find this album

https://soulchoppa.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:38 pm 

Leak Bros - Waterworld. Kindof fucked up depending on ur tolerance for darkness & ur artistic sense of humor. Dope production throughout & some on point drug/death raps from Cage & Tame One.

After listening to this one u need to bump some Marley or Grateful Dead to get ur head right. :mrgreen:

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:42 pm 

Pink Floyd-The Wall

Made when everything was falling apart, and Roger Waters was lashing out at the world, Margaret Thatcher, his band mates, and even his fans. (He spit on one who demanded he play “Money” during the tour for Animals.

The concept is a character Pink, jaded rock god that’s slowly going mad, but it also explores WW2/His dad dying, his overprotective mother, evil teachers (If you don’t know “Another brick in the wall”, you need to look that up on YouTube now!!), slowly becoming more fascist, and having the ego to get into politics, but can’t because he’s getting too fucked up on drugs (“Comfortably Numb”), until he’s tossed in a courtroom by a judge who sentenced him in prison for his crimes.

That’s kinda the concept in a nutshell...It sold well, but things were so bad in the band that Roger Waters left shortly after they finished touring for it.

Mansun-Attack of The Grey Lantern

This was supposed to be about a superhero who meets strange characters in a strange British town, but that’s about as far as the concept goes. Because the lead singer only got around to making half the album based on the concept. Made during Britpop at its peak (Knocking Blur’s self titled off the #1), but Mansun are almost Prog rock as some feel. Don’t believe me? Then listen to their next album...

Mansun-Six

By now Britpop was dying, Paul Draper had writer’s block, but somehow they managed to scrape & steal a few ideas from DR. WHO, The Prisoner, Book of Mormon, Winnie The Pooh, And a few other books, to make one strange concept album. Yet, As much as I love this band, I can’t really translate the concept. But it seems like you can tell that the pressures of show biz is driving Paul to almost predict the band’s demise 2 years later. So it’s quite the concept album, if you can accept all the ideas tossed at you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:55 pm 

Yes, The Wall is amazing. Even goes beyond the concept “album” when you include the movie. Epic stuff.

How bout The Dark Side of the Rainbow? Watching Wizard of Oz synced up w Dark Side of the Moon. Not intended as a concept album per say, but I think one could argue that both Dark Side & Wish You Were Here play like concept albums. I think Pink Floyd is probably the greatest group of all time.

On a different note... White Mic, The Vegetable & the Ferret is a pretty dope concept album. Some good beats and rhymes and kindof an Animal Farm concept almost. Worth checking out.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:10 pm 

Wish you were here is my favorite Pink Floyd album , and I agree about the Wall is an amazing concept album. Haven’t heard of Mansun, about to go check them out now

https://soulchoppa.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 am 

They were around from 96-2004ish. Only released 4 albums, but their last was called Kleptomania. That was a album they broke up before finishing, but Paul Draper managed to showcase the final songs they were working on, toss them in some b sides, demos, and live songs. It’s more or less a album for hardcore Mansun fans. The title was because their bass player was caught stealing money from the band & fired during recording this.

Just listen to Attack Of The Grey Lantern for starters. It’s probably on Spotify, or the other music subscriptions.