It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:23 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am
Posts: 249
Bootlegging has dropped significantly due to the advent of Streaming Platforms like Spotify & Apple Music... However the Royalties earned by such companies do not even equate to pennies on the dollar (approximately 0.006 a listen for Spotify) Add that with the short attention span of people now a days and you have, yet again, the Big 3 using strategies to get a grip hold of the market. For most of us who sample, if it wasn't for Bandcamp, we would have to rely strictly on physical copies... I doubt most of us have the hardcore fanbase to even press a minimum amount of cd's or vinyl. The Digital Revolution helped make Equipment more affordable yet it saturated the market as well. It still costs a pretty penny to have your music engineered at a professional studio... sooner or later, people like those in these forums will be nothing but mere nostalgic acts... we somewhat are even today. How can Independent musicians remain relevant within the paradigm shift that works against our favour?

_________________
http://thesisdrs.bandcamp.com
@thesisdrs on all social media platforms!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:28 am
Posts: 184
Play live!!! Where ever you can and spread as far as you can. I can't speak so much to hiphop stuff cuz my town has a super whack hiphop scene but a pretty thriving metal scene and I know that's how metal/rock bands stay relevant and get themselves out there. Live shows put you around like minded artists and audiences and give you a great platform to get yourself out there, meet people, and sell merch. People are a lot more inclined to buy a cd or whatever from someone they just saw put on a killer live show than from some random person online, even if the beats are similar quality.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am
Posts: 249
seezesea wrote:
Play live!!! Where ever you can and spread as far as you can. I can't speak so much to hiphop stuff cuz my town has a super whack hiphop scene but a pretty thriving metal scene and I know that's how metal/rock bands stay relevant and get themselves out there. Live shows put you around like minded artists and audiences and give you a great platform to get yourself out there, meet people, and sell merch. People are a lot more inclined to buy a cd or whatever from someone they just saw put on a killer live show than from some random person online, even if the beats are similar quality.


True! The thought of going live has crossed my mind. I think most people would actually like to hear your works before they see you live though. Thanks for the feedback.

_________________
http://thesisdrs.bandcamp.com
@thesisdrs on all social media platforms!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:05 am
Posts: 666
Location: Cypress, CA
In a saturated market an artist must go to extensive lengths to distinguish themselves among the multitude. It's not longer sufficient enough to just be a decent musician/producer.. You also gotta be talented at other stuff. Comedy, acting, illustration, etc etc

Everyone is constantly multitasking these days so you gotta be able to entertain on multiple levels.

OR JUST BE REALLY FUCKING GOOD AT ONE THING

so much so that it speaks for itself.

_________________
Image


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:10 pm 
Member

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 429
What is your brand and your brand's objective?


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:03 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am
Posts: 249
andy wrote:
What is your brand and your brand's objective?


I plan to create a soundtrack for the everyday life of people with knowledge of self. I also seek to create content (video's, lectures, workshops, etc.) to unify and establish networks for said people.

_________________
http://thesisdrs.bandcamp.com
@thesisdrs on all social media platforms!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:31 pm 
Member

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 429
thesisdrs wrote:
andy wrote:
What is your brand and your brand's objective?


I plan to create a soundtrack for the everyday life of people with knowledge of self. I also seek to create content (video's, lectures, workshops, etc.) to unify and establish networks for said people.


How are you marketing your brand? Who is your audience? How do you plan on building a platform for your audience to see? What steps have you taken to do that? What skills do you need to learn to do that? Who do you know or where are you going to look for people to build a team to help you and collaborate with?

Those are some things you need to flesh out and materialize to stay relevant.


Last edited by Bye on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:34 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 pm
Posts: 393
yes . live performance is the way to make the paper . like you said . the streaming royalties is minimal . but i can tell you ive made a few dollars from streaming ( literally a fee dollars .. lol ) .. thats with no big online presence .. but it proved you can get a little pocket change ( passive income) with a solid fanbase streaming your sounds ( on the right streaming service) .

the market is saturated . gotta work on your local area and build . its like anything . once people see the value in the work .. they will be willing to pay ( ticket prices to shows) if reasonable .

you really gotta love it and know how to manuvre if you wanna see any kind of paper inthe music game

_________________
http://www.krissothegreat.blogspot.co.uk


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:36 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 pm
Posts: 393
when i say music game . i dont mean the industry cos you can do well outside the industry .

get involved in local scene activity .. easiest way to make moves is collaborating . double exposure .

bless 1 1

_________________
http://www.krissothegreat.blogspot.co.uk


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am
Posts: 249
andy wrote:
Who is your audience? How do you plan on building a platform for your audience to see? What steps have you taken to do that? What skills do you need to learn to do that? Who do you know or where are you going to look for people to build a team to help you and collaborate with?

Those are some things you need to flesh out and materialize to stay relevant.


Only skills i feel i need to get better as is my production/engineering skills. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make decent quality youtube video's. If i don't do them i can outsource this to people who are about the same thing I am. Give thanks for the questions!

_________________
http://thesisdrs.bandcamp.com
@thesisdrs on all social media platforms!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:41 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am
Posts: 249
I do love music. Been doing it for a minute and didn't get paid at all.. (well I got paid for some beats recently) I just got to push myself out there more and get people interacting. get people to actually care.

_________________
http://thesisdrs.bandcamp.com
@thesisdrs on all social media platforms!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm 
Member

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 429
thesisdrs wrote:
andy wrote:
Who is your audience? How do you plan on building a platform for your audience to see? What steps have you taken to do that? What skills do you need to learn to do that? Who do you know or where are you going to look for people to build a team to help you and collaborate with?

Those are some things you need to flesh out and materialize to stay relevant.


Only skills i feel i need to get better as is my production/engineering skills. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make decent quality youtube video's. If i don't do them i can outsource this to people who are about the same thing I am. Give thanks for the questions!


My point is, how are you marketing yourself?
You can be the most talented, virtuouso instrumentalist but if don't make enough waves, no one will notice or care. Like everyone's saying and struggling with... the market is saturated with artists, what makes you stand out and different?

It's no longer mixing/engineering. It's marketing, website building, writing, business/financing, photo/video editing, etc.

Sure you can outsource it, but for me i can't cause $$$$$$.

Everyone else is upping their marketing, branding, and advertising. People get paid to run ONLY social media full time! There are lots of analytics of when, where, how, what hashtags to use when you post.

If you're not willing to adapt, evolve, and put in the extra work, man.....

Your artist name is a brand and business. There's no such thing as being JUST an "independent artist."

I've been working and struggling to do my own thing. I'm just sharing what I've been working on and learning.

Instead of waiting for some other platform to showcase my work....I'm building my own.

Better done than perfect.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am
Posts: 249
Well for those getting paid to advertise it's because they are using social media platforms that already have the numbers. I love the idea of having your own platform and you're right... easier said than done. Nobody cares to go to your own personal website. its either Instagram, Snapchat or Youtube. Band camp (the site i use) isn't known to a lot of people either.

_________________
http://thesisdrs.bandcamp.com
@thesisdrs on all social media platforms!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 pm 
Member

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 429
thesisdrs wrote:
Well for those getting paid to advertise it's because they are using social media platforms that already have the numbers. I love the idea of having your own platform and you're right... easier said than done. Nobody cares to go to your own personal website. its either Instagram, Snapchat or Youtube. Band camp (the site i use) isn't known to a lot of people either.


I'm not saying give up Instagram or Youtube. You have to do IT ALL (or as many you feel is relevant to you) INCLUDING your own website.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. I'm trying to do the opposite. No one else is going to rep you, so you have to rep and push your shit yourself.

It's a lot of work to do solo. But it has to be done to get your shit noticed.

I put together my first event last year. It was a fundraiser art show. I was able to convince 200 some people to come, donate considerable amounts of money, and buy art from the 10 artists i was showcasing.
It's not a super crazy feat, but it was very stressful and took a lot of work, especially since i was already working 6 days a week 13 hrs a day at my day job. I had to set alarms to post content on IG and facebook. I had to reach out to corporations for donations (food, beer, venue) and communicate in ways I'm normally not accustomed to.

Basically if you have a goal in mind, dont wait for someone or something to help give you the tools you need. You have just go out and get shit done yourself.

I was going to do another show, but I've been procrastinating....cause that shit was hard and I just cant handle that stress right now.

To stay "Relevant", you have to consistently do this shit day in day out until you build a large enough audience and team to help you. I praise the interdependent artists that solely do this full time. A regular job is deff way less stressful.

Good luck and peace.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: The Devaluation of music
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am
Posts: 249
Trust me, I never took any word negatively. I'm glad to get feedback from someone who feels the same way i do and has more experience than I. I plan on doing this full time cause quite frankly i'm sick of working for a shitty employer who couldn't give two fucks about you. I know I need to market myself better, I am stressing a lot on the music aspect cause I'm in that mindset that if i make the best possible music, people will come. Why? because that's how I feel. Again much thanks for the words of constructive criticism.

_________________
http://thesisdrs.bandcamp.com
@thesisdrs on all social media platforms!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: