It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

Post subject: what if ..
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm 

what if ..

every great beat you heard was in fact the 3rd , 4th or 5th attempt at making that particular beat..

food for thought

just for extra spice .. do you think J Dilla's beat making efficiency was a result of laborious remakes of his own beats

ever feel like you've made a beat before .. you provably have .. just created a newer unsubconscious rendition of what you've already expressed previously

thought?

Post subject: Re: what if ..
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:28 pm 

I think this is more common than normal with most producers that are good and care about the reception of their material...

I came into this realisation recently. alot of my best beats started out as pretty good demos but when i reopen these projects and add to them they really get next level. I think performing beats in tandem is also helpful because when you hear the shortcomings of a beat over and over you can go back add whatever the beats need

On Dilla, I think he was mostly a microwave beat maker, not that he wasnt meticulous but i think with the access to equipment, samples and overall talent he could call on or command he was just that nice...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 pm 

absolute . going back and tweaking multiple peaces of work certainly can strengthen the process . and also takes away from the abrupt ending of microwave mentality .

I do think Dilla knew his library inside out

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm 

yea I remember in a documentary hearing dilla had heard each record enough times that he knew what to do when he sat down to make the beat. I personaly don't have the patience to just listen to my records without flipping them when I hear the juice, but some times 'll revisit samples knowing what I want to do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 pm 

tbh . majority of samples I've flipped consist of fragments of the first 30 seconds of songs .listening to vinyl and dropping the needle though .. it gives that ease of search

(bonus tip)

listening to a song 3 times can give you a goof enough memory to recall highlight points