It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

Post subject: Sp-505 or just go for an Elektron MS:Samples?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:10 pm 

Been hemming and hawwing over an SP-505 for a while. But now I'm thinking why not just go for an MS:Samples? Good amount of space, better sequencer, live on-the-fly programming, etc etc

Anyone had a play with both can compare?

Post subject: Re: Sp-505 or just go for an Elektron MS:Samples?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:15 pm 

Intro
The elektron Sample can't sample in directly and doesn't have resample! Sampling and resampling directly is fundamental to the SP style. The Digitakt can sample and resample! That being said you can forget about long ass sample chopping with elektron digitakt.(30sec max)

Digitakts Similarities to SP505

The 505 was my first sampler and I can tell you that the Digitakt has more similarities to a 505 than any any other SP. First off, the 16 pad/button layout is the same. Secondly, the screen is roughly the same size and has a similar old school fat pixel look. Also the way it chromatically pitches samples and lays it out across 16 pads is virtually identical. EXCEPT for the fact that the SP, because its old as fuck, had a terrible timestretch/pitch algorithm which makes chromatic pitching on that device pretty much unusable, unless you're trying to do exerimental shit or layering on effects. Another similarity is that the sp505 has 4 dedicated track sequencer with track mutes for live performing which the Digitakt also has and expands on with 8 tracks of audio and 8 tracks of Midi.

While sampling on Digi doesn't feel like an SP per say it, it's a lot closer to the 505 than of the other SP models; considering that there's a little screen for wav editing available on both devices.

Final thoughts
Pretty much i'd suggest getting a digitakt over the elektron sample if you are looking for something sp-like or even more specifically SP505 like. That being said, the workflow is completely different on elektron devices but once you get accustomed, it starts to feel a lot like a beefy ass 505.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:58 am 

If you don’t have the budget for the Digitakt, but you can afford a SP-505, you really can’t go wrong with it. But beware that it can be a slow machine as far as loading/saving samples. It’s pretty much a SP303 except for more pads, the screen, digital input, etc. Yet, it’s cheaper than the SP303. A used one shouldn’t run you more than $300. A used Digitakt is going to be at least $500, if not $650 new.

I personally can’t compare it to the Digitakt, but even if I could afford one, I’d still keep my SP505. I’m pretty sure the Digitakt might sound better, but perhaps you want that SP303 sound. And I don’t know if the Digitakt can deliver that lo-fi sound. If it can, great. But how would I know? It shouldn’t be a deal breaker though. You’re quite set if you get either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:25 am 

Digitakt is a bit out of my budget. I have a line on a SP-505, but it's not much cheaper than a brand new Model:Samples. I don't mind max 30 seconds per sample or the absence of sampling/resampling. I have other boxes that do that (Zoom SampleTrak, Korg ES-1) and they take care of my lo-fi needs too. All I'm really looking for is something to play back 2 or 4 bar loops (disco cuts, percs, breaks, etc). I'm thinking I'd rather have the live-friendly M:S x0x sequencer that I can program on the fly than the SP-505's bigger memory