It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 pm

Post subject: Re: Hardcore SP only guys
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:04 pm 

I've really been wanting.to pick up a second sp. Rn I use 1 sp404sx with audacity/ableton and just play stuff in and bounce back to 1 pad and keep resampling/recording to add stuff on top. I'd really like to have a second piece of hardware to "composed" the loops and parts to a complete song but I'm kinda broke lol the 505 looks pretty rite and not too pricey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm 

yes squire .if you can stretch financially . well worth the paper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 pm 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

lil.suo wrote:
Ive been thinking a lot about how much i really like the veterans who just use samplers instead of DAWS. I really want to push this movement. Team Canaduh and beatjitzu imo drive this pure skill side of the SP cats, and i like it a lot. I personally use just one 404 and then a korg minilogue and an arturia microbrute. What do you SAMPLER 0nly b0ys use?

By the way, my currently released music was made on a daw. I think both sides of music and production have their own place, i just am currently embracing this punky raw side of synth production.

Thanks for the shout out!Im strictly on the 404sx and PT-01(vinyl records) at the moment. I cant stand computers,I used to use a daw to master but now just master on the 404 and leave everything as raw as possible. I also used to use youtube to sample but no longer,strictly VINYL!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 pm 

see, I dont understand the strictly vinyl thing. I personally dont have money for a turntable right now, and there are some rare samples that are too hard to find on vinyl. It can be a fun challenge, but I dont understand the "VINYL ONLY" sentiment for most people

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:22 am 

it's hard to explain till you start digging.

you learn so much about music by just going out and finding vinyl.

and sampling from a hi fidelity source makes things come out better. even if your doing lo-fi. but in the case of lo-fi there's no need for hi fidelity.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:47 am 

Quote:

^ agreed, plus I think when you spend your money on a record you're more inclined to dig every little bit of usable material out of it to get your money's worth whereas with a YouTube video it's tempting (for me at least) to just grab the first few seconds of cool sound from a song then move on to one of the other billion songs on YouTube, thereby missing out on all the dopeness hiding in the middle of songs in little breaks and bridges and whatnot. Also spinning thru a record is fun, sliding a dumb little cursor around on a computer screen is not lol everyone has their own preferences tho, I have absolutely nothing against sampling from YouTube it's just not the same thing as working with real physical records

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:04 pm 

seezesea wrote:
Quote:

^ agreed

further agreed

if you are going to sample someone else's music at least know a bit about it.....hold the record, know what year it was made, learn about the artist, maybe even learn about the label and musicians involved......know what the cover looks like!

youtube in my opinion lacks integrity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 pm 

MOTHER SUO wrote:
see, I dont understand the strictly vinyl thing. I personally dont have money for a turntable right now, and there are some rare samples that are too hard to find on vinyl. It can be a fun challenge, but I dont understand the "VINYL ONLY" sentiment for most people

PT-01 are only a 100 dollars,plus there are way more rare samples in the dolla bin section!e-digging or youtube digging lacks integrity like my mans said!
that's just my opinion...each to there own,but you will learn a lot more about music and sampling when sticking with wax only!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm 

seezesea wrote:
Quote:

^ agreed, plus I think when you spend your money on a record you're more inclined to dig every little bit of usable material out of it to get your money's worth whereas with a YouTube video it's tempting (for me at least) to just grab the first few seconds of cool sound from a song then move on to one of the other billion songs on YouTube, thereby missing out on all the dopeness hiding in the middle of songs in little breaks and bridges and whatnot. Also spinning thru a record is fun, sliding a dumb little cursor around on a computer screen is not lol everyone has their own preferences tho, I have absolutely nothing against sampling from YouTube it's just not the same thing as working with real physical records

TRUE WORDZ!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 pm 

using vinyl is a whole different world . its a concentrated listen .. no doubt it can get expensive but it does teach value as stated previously

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:39 pm 

I just about purchased a PT01 Scratch and hit the vinyl store downtown, looks to be awesome cheap entertainment. My problem is I hate owning things, moved so much that I became portable and crates of vinyl would slow me down.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:18 pm 

I use the sp for everything, running guitar, keyboard ans whatever else through it. The 505 was a perfect companion but i sold it when i had no money, whichh I kind of regret, the 505 also has the autochop feature which was great for drum breaks, id def go for the 505 again but I kept the 404 over the 505 because it just seems more immediate for making tracks! The price of them also seems to have gone up just recently!

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:38 pm 

@asha c .. couldn't agree more . I don't think there will ever be a more immediate tool than the 404

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:44 pm 

MOTHER SUO wrote:

The way I see it, internet services where i'm located is about $60/mth. I can get a good amount of material for $60. There are some songs on vinyl that you will never find on youtube unless someone with the vinyl rips and uploads it on youtube. Also, picking the store owners brain for some history on record labels, genres and artists make it all worth while. Like DJ Shadow said "It won't make a bad DJ (or in this case, beat maker) good, but it will make a good DJ better"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:46 pm 

I just started using the SX and that's all i'd use for my drum programming and sampling. I add Guitars and other elements for my beats too. record them with my interface and my DAW. but if its some straight boom bap shit... just the SX, my turntable, some vinyl and the drum samples i acquired.