It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Post subject: I know dudes gotta make money, but SP-FORUMZ GOT GENTRIFIED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:18 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

Used to find fire to play on your late night smoke sessions walking downtown n shit...

Now everything costs money...wtf. Not hatin', but shits like when ghetto gets gentrified and all the dudes that made the place great get kicked out by money.

WTF.

Post subject: Re: I know dudes gotta make money, but SP-FORUMZ GOT GENTRIF
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:11 pm 

Yeah, I notice bandcamp cats are now streaming one song but the rest is locked to be paid for. I remember I used to listen to whole albums and if I liked it, I bought it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:06 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

I'm just sayin' that YOUR MUSIC looks more like YOUR BULLSHIT YOU TRYIN TO SELL.

Your Music used be like..sharing what was going down in everyone's labs at the moment, lots of one-offs and experimental shit, sharing ideas. Money isn't ideas, doesn't allow sharing and by extension, to me, ruins the entire core of what SP-Forums a place enjoy the craft. I say if you gonna sell shit, go sell it elsewhere. This is the DOJO. We train together here, not rip each other off. But hey, what do I know...just some guy who used to train here a long time ago.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 am 

You kidding me.. "Gentrified" ?

This is lemonade-stands in the park we're talking about here... no-one setting them up in your front yard; much less a case of middle-class and affluent sp-users kicking the poor out of their digs.

Sheesh... fuckin moguls charging a dollar for albums I used to download for free - unbelieveable.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:26 am 

I see what you mean but I don't think that money is the issue. More than anything, there's too many cats that join, plug their beats, and do nothing else. They don't contribute to discussions or participate in the community. They just come here promote their music and bounce.

There's nothing wrong with trying to make some cash off of the fruits of your labor. If I see someone's selling a physical release or some type of merch and I have some cash to spare, I'll gladly support them.

No one's being kicked out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:41 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

Ralph gets it. Not hating on people, just sayin...used to be more like Barney n Friends, sharing is caring. Now people asking for a ticket price for what? Your music is a dojo, you get roughed up in the arena, come back to your music to show us your brand new kata's, and we let you know your weak points, and then you go into in THE WORLD OUTSIDE OF SP-FORUMS and get your championship belt. Some guys seem to think they gonna come in and WOW everyone with some shit that's half finished and be crowned for that.

Get outta here, this is where we get tough, rollin around with a food cart? You ain't a fighter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:55 pm 

You can pine & lament the changing tendencies and slow death of niche-messageboards and forums overall over the past decade, but it won't change the fact that they reached their apex just before the arrival of Facebook and have been in slow decline ever since.

I'm grateful that this forum has any patronage at all, since some of my favourite music-forums from the past are lucky to get 3 posts per week if they havn't been taken offline entirely.

The Arena is as active as it ever was since I arrived here in mid-2014.. if you want to channel your criticism to 'sharpen blades' (goodness, go watch Jet Li's "Fearless" and get over this b-grade martial arts metaphor, wannebe-wu-tang jizz - music isn't money? Maybe it's not a fight either?) when someone posts a "half-baked" track to MyMusic begging for constructive-critisism, you as a member of the 2011-alumni can give it to them.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:40 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

I didn't expect any other response than 'so what? get over it old man'. You guys haven't disappointed in that respect.

So what.

Peace out, homies. Good luck and all that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:11 pm 

MY MUSIC ALWAYS WILL BE FREE...

FUCK MONEY

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm 

the way i see it, it's kinda like big artists who stream their music.

i post everything i create on soundcloud and when i compile it into a solid beat tape/ep/album, i'll post it to bandcamp and sell it for $1. i figure if you like my music enough to download it, you wont mind donating the one dollar, but it's always free to stream on bandcamp (i always set my shit to unlimited listens) and free to listen to on soundcloud. if you wanna just stream it, it's readily available. if you love it so much to download it, then a dollar donation isn't toooooo much to ask for.

http://www.soundcloud.com/ywcbropher
http://bandcamp.com/bropherywc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 pm 

i post all my tapes in the same thread to avoid filling up the "my Music" too much and you can listen to it for free... most of the tapes can even be downloaded.

but i feel like i'm lost in the flood of Releases all the time :mrgreen: but it's cool since i do it mostly for myself anyway. but the Feedback (from fellow sp-forums-users) is always welcome :D

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:17 pm 

scopebeats wrote:
i post all my tapes in the same thread to avoid filling up the "my Music" too much and you can listen to it for free... most of the tapes can even be downloaded.

but i feel like i'm lost in the flood of Releases all the time :mrgreen: but it's cool since i do it mostly for myself anyway. but the Feedback (from fellow sp-forums-users) is always welcome :D

Thank you for doing this!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 am 

I sorta feel what you're saying.
Some years back, there was DOPE stuff on here. All the time. By a bunch of DOPE people.
It's a little mediocre now. So I'm not running home from work every day to check the music. I check in like once every couple of weeks. When, years ago, I'd check in the morning, on lunch break, and when I got home.
Used to be super motivational.

The Music section is like a soapbox billboard.
Funny how dudes start "labels" on Bandcamp and use the producers on here for a profit.

I ain't hatin' though. If you can make some extra dough off some records, go for it. If you can get people in today's modern world to actually BUY your music, you're doing something right. There's so many outlets out there for free stream that it really kills the artists wellbeing.

But I don't really see the Music section on here as spammy.
Not at least like the Stones Throw 'Hype' section.

Every now and then I see some sick stuff.
But no, not like it used to be.
Don't know where alot of guys went.
There's still a bunch active. And that's cool.
But I welcome newbies. Especially, as long as they buy/make records.