It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:58 pm

Post subject: audio interfacerca to xlr question.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:53 pm 

ive been working with just the sp for a while and now i'm ready to try recording into ableton through an audio interface. I got the focusrite 2i 2. after I got it I realized I would need some different plugs than the standard rca plugs I was using, because the face of the 2i 2 is xlr female. so, I went to radioshack and I got 2 rca to xlr plugs the left going into line 1 and the right going into line 2. my question is would I be better off with a 2 ended rca to a one ended xlr all going into line 1? or am I doing this correctly? also is the 2i 2 my best option? when I was in the store I saw the next model up from the 2i 2 had extra outward outlets and I asked the guy (who was not very familiar with the sp capabilities) if I could use that to be able to record in and out without in-plugging anything and he said this was very difficult. I bet it would work but I dunno if I wanna break the bank for it.

Post subject: Re: audio interfacerca to xlr question.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm 

The 2i2 input connectors are capable of taking in either a 1/4 inch or xlr cable. So you can get an rca to xlr or an rca to 1/4, its your choice.

I advise you to wait and get the 2i4. The extra 3/4 line outs are extremely necessary to route an audio signal from Ableton (or any DAW) to external hardware such as an SP and then have that audio signal come back into Ableton without having to worry about feedback loops.

I hope that made sense...

Just bite the bullet and dish out the extra cash to get a 2i4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:55 pm 

well one thing I left out was that I got 2 rca to 1/4 cables and an xlr adapter for each lol, so I can return those thanks very helpful. i'll think about upgrading to the 2i 4 too. i'm still wondering if i'm better off with one cord that's double rca to single quarter inch. do they even make that? I currently have rca L to line 1 and rca R to line 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 pm 

would it then be recording in mono and that's somehow bad? on the interface its line 1 and 2 not left and right sooo left and right could record into just line 1leaving 2 open for something else?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 am 

Durdy wrote:
would it then be recording in mono and that's somehow bad? on the interface its line 1 and 2 not left and right sooo left and right could record into just line 1leaving 2 open for something else?

You are completely correct in your line of thinking. Its not bad its just mono.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 am 

Durdy wrote:
i'm still wondering if i'm better off with one cord that's double rca to single quarter inch. do they even make that? I currently have rca L to line 1 and rca R to line 2.

They do make it.

https://www.amazon.com/InstallerParts-S ... ereo+1%2F4

I use one of those cables to sample into the sp from the headphone out on the 2i4.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:02 pm 

for some reason when I doit its not exactly mono. if I put the switch from line to inst it plays a little bit of panned instrumentation that isn't on the other side of the sample.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:31 am 

Durdy wrote:
for some reason when I doit its not exactly mono. if I put the switch from line to inst it plays a little bit of panned instrumentation that isn't on the other side of the sample.

Ya lost me there.

I found this video which explains how to set up a 404sx to DAW way better and more concisely than I could ever do through writing. Hope ya find it helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9gYj9lvOk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:23 am 

You can't bypass the preamps in the 2i2, the signal will go through the variable gain section of the preamp circuit. Luckily nowadays, the technology has advanced so much that you won't see a huge amount of audio degradation compared to just going through the converters only.

Use rca to TRS cables and plug the left rca into the 1/4" input 1, and the right rca into input 2 in the combo jack. Make sure the 2i2's inputs are set to line, not instrument. In Ableton or whatever DAW you're using, make two tracks. Track 1 to record input 1 / line 1 (left), track 2 to record input 2/ line 2 (right). Set your levels without distorting. You can always turn it up if you need to, but you can't undo damaged. Record whatever you want from your SP into your DAW.

Now you can adjust the pan levels of each separate track to get the sound you're after. A lot of DAW's will let you make those 2 mono tracks into 1 stereo track. If you have to do it the ghetto way, set the output of your two mono tracks to the input of a new stereo track in your DAW and re-record it to that new stereo track.

As far as interfaces go, I think the 2i2 is fine. I used to be an audio snob and would spend so much money just to get a 10% difference in sound quality. Then I discovered LoFi, and now I save so much money. :D I have a Behringer UMC204HD that I bought basically new for $40 on eBay. It's about the same as the 2i2, but it has direct inserts into the converters through line 3/4 on the back. (You have to wire the cables correctly though). I just use a single TRS to RCA / RCA patch cable from the headphone jack to the input of my SP , and the outputs of the interface to my monitors. I've had no reason to upgrade. Good luck with your recordings.