It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 am

Post subject: question about setups w/ multiple audio sources
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:34 pm 

so i've had a turntable and a tape deck on my desk for a while, but swapping all the wires in order to sample them or even just to listen to them is discouraging me from using them in my process. i've been looking into audio receivers/mixers to remedy this, but i'm kind of torn between the two.

my speakers are RCA input only, and i don't need any video capabilities, so the standard a/v receiver by itself already has a lot of functions i wouldn't use. i do see setups using them sometimes though, so i'm not too sure if there's something convenient or important about them i'm missing.

on the other hand, it seems like an audio mixer would work pretty well (multiple line outputs for speakers/sampling, multiple line inputs for equipment) but i'm not sure if it would overly complicate normal listening or not.

i'm pretty clueless about this kind of stuff, so if any of you have any tips on how to set sampling equipment up, that would be tight.

Post subject: Re: question about setups w/ multiple audio sources
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:11 pm 

Getting the a/v audio receiver seems like a waste of money and space, and also it seems limited in its capabilities. Get a cheap mixer like the xenyx 502.

My favorite color is oh my god bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:39 pm 

was leaning that way already so i ended up picking up a xenyx 1202fx, hopefully it'll do what i need. always good to experiment with your setup i guess lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 pm 

I have a Technical Pro PRE50 which is a preamp and use this for your exact problem because I was that guy too. The bonus is that it fattens samples going in your SP and can write/record directly to an SD card or USBdrive to edit on a DAW or simply upload to a site.

Here's the back, look at it! Put your fucken face to the screen!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:58 pm 

all the cables came in for the mixer today, and it works really well with all my audio sources. only thing is that i'm kinda worried about running it for long periods of time since it runs my computer/all my other audio sources through it atm. anyone have experience with mixers and how long they can be on for? it's properly ventilated and stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:31 am 

You're fine leaving it on as much as you want. It is a Behringer though, and their products have a reputation of breaking. I've owned a bunch of them and never had any issues, but they're cheap and easy to replace if something did happen.