It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

Post subject: anyone want anything drawn?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:23 am 

if you want album art i can add text for 10 bucks extra.. same goes for superimposing the drawing onto a background of your choice. Its cool expressing myself freely as an artist but its also cool employing myself as a craftsman. Trying out the "bend but don't break" approach to the visual side of my creativity.

Attachments:
flier b.jpg
flier b.jpg [ 170.26 KiB | Viewed 4667 times ]
 Post subject: Re: anyone want anything drawn?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:31 pm 

peace bro nice drawings you got some skills I might hit you up in the future for art for one of my cassette releases do you think you can do a drawing for a j card for cassette let me know how much for that pm with a price peace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:22 pm 

Definitely. Just PMed you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:11 am 

That's some nice work

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:06 am 

I appreciate that

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:12 pm 

Nevermind.

I thought it was some kind of snobby idealism that made me stop accepting commission work a while back, but I was swiftly reminded the real reason. I just hate it. Letting money dictate a drawing is like adding a nauseating ingredient to a favorite meal. There's usually something I really want to draw, so when there's obligatory work I'm anxious to get it done and out of the way. It doesn't turn out as good as my inspired work, therefore will likely disappoint whoever commissions it, and I hate to disappoint a supporter of my art.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:15 am 

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:36 pm 

Totally agree with Andy.

As artists, we MUST let people enjoy and praise, and yes pay for our work if we decide to sell it. It is really not up to us, nor should it be our choice, per se.

If someone says they love your work, you would be completely disrespecting their opinion if you did anything but say thank you. That's where many artists fall down a bit - being able to just accept that some people will really love what you do.

OTOH, there will be trolls and critics, and those must also be considered. Some will not like what we do, and that's OK. Others will troll, and while that is just pathetic, it comes with the territory.

Your artwork is amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:11 pm 

Thanks guys. You both make good points. In my case it really comes down to just avoiding jobs that I don't enjoy. I see the added stress of commission work and how it smothers my creative fire. The difference of how I feel about obligatory work and how I feel about personal work is like night and day. When I draw what I choose, its usually peaceful enjoyment, and I'm excited for the next piece. When I draw what someone else pays me to, its usually stressful torture, and I dread the next one. Just the way I am. Stupid stubborn, but that's how I complete these Sharpie joints. Most people would find a different medium after they learn how brutal it is to ruin a piece you've worked on for hours with one bad mark. When this happens to me I just have to move on to the next idea, because there's not much I hate more, creatively, than redrawing something I've already attempted.. another thing I would loathe about commission work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:15 pm 

I know its not right for me because when I decide not to do it I feel a giant wave of joy and relief.