It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:27 am

Post subject: Re: My Two Cents;
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 pm 

I’m way late to the sp craze and to making music in this format in general, I had been researching for months and months looking for a device like this. I was fucking blown away that a machine of this caliber existed, for me Music is Therapy and a platform to get things off my chest , airing political grievances and making fun of celebrities etc.. A friend is letting me borrow his 404 until I save enough for the sx , my life has been enriched 10 fold. I love it , I hate it , it provides euphoric I’m the shit like feelings etc... I scoured yt and instagram and blogs to watch people’s techniques and see what sounds people were fucking with and I wanted to puke. You have this gem of a machine which has a plethora of capabilities if you’re intuitive enough to step outside of making sadhop vapor waves . And what’s with the fingers and hands ? People are flicking them and flailing them around after tweaking a knob or pressing a button. Sorry about this rant. I’m still very virginal and my approach to the sp has been more punk rock. I don’t want to offend anyone’s talents or production skills , but y’all are driving up the price of the sp. I’m glad this place exists , seacrest out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
HannaH HuH wrote:

You have this gem of a machine which has a plethora of capabilities

my approach to the sp has been more punk rock.

+1 for the first part of the comment.

Double points on the second bit for the Punk Rock approach..it's the correct answer in my opinion.

Good for you man.

Just keep things that way would be my only advice here.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:46 pm 

Im still in the stage where im trying to figure out how to recreate the legends sound... maybe im dumb for even trying, but I just do this as a hobby first and foremost... there is absolutely no desire to do this except to have fun... i just discovered vinyl records like 5 years ago and i just started trying to create sample based music a year ago... my vision is to do something different, but not just noise... a conglomeration of influences.. on the way i know i end up making a lot of shitty Rhodes/ jazz beats but the process is fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm 

yes .. not read any other replies .. but .. yea .

people need to just do . not worry what Madlib .. or Jaydee did .. yes Jaydee .. lol

not being a dooshbag . theres alot of talent on this board . shame it has no flashplayer type facility ( who runs the SP Forums? ) .. what if we donated papers .. 2-3 dollars/ pounds each to get an upgraded site .

honestly . i used to peep all other peoples beats n that .. n had a few faves (9planets . Ill Green . Eludem .. to name a few)

i just like chopping game with other sample heads now . too busy trynna do everything going to peep music

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 pm 

i dont worry about nobody else ..

on a side note . the 404 is nice . i dont have it anymore . the frustration was the hit points on loops .. especially after resampling . the only criticism i have tbh . the effects are plenty . the speed of editing + organising is second to none . Roland .. holla back!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:27 pm 

r4ph431 wrote:
So I just posted a thread on r/lofihiphop and I'd like to get your guy's input..

Here's my post;
r4ph431 wrote:
Though I understand that usually this is a free-form and experimental genre, I cannot help but blame this "Please be positive" attitude for the saturation of shit beats and shit posts that are currently plaguing this genre..
Everyone is going unchecked. Ripping each other off. Regurgitating instead of innovating the sound..
It's almost like when kids win trophies for just for participating.
This attitude and lack of consequence breeds shitty music and is detrimental for the growth of the sound and community.
Imho,
It's become played out and turned into cliche.
I'm not gonna put anyone on blast, but you know what, and or who, I'm talking about.
As long as everyone continues to go unchecked... This genre and community with remain stagnant.

I'm essentially just trying to stir up conversation on that board which is usually filled with people thoughtlessly promoting their own beats...

And well, I figured it'd be relevant to this community as well.

What do you guys think?

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:49 pm 

Its crazy how "lo-fi hip hop" kinda blew up, what pushed it hard were these youtube "chill lo-fi hip hop to study to" streams, and I feel like the YouTube algorithms pushed it hard. I have a few channels where I don't even watch similar videos, but it popped up in my similar videos list every time. (even after I clicked 'Not interested' multiple times) Now there are many different streams with million of views, I wonder how much money they earn with that (and livestreams)
The bad thing is I'm really tired of all these cookie cutter beats, 80% of this stuff doesn't even feel "lo-fi" to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm 

I think the over saturation of boring beats nowadays is akin to everyone getting a guitar and learning a few chords in the 50s and 60s. Only now instead of everyone and their grandma getting a guitar and learning some chuck berry and Beatles songs it's shifted to everyone getting a sampler or a daw and making simple obvious beats.
It's hard to watch for those of us who are very serious and dedicated to this kind of music but I think for a lot of users getting a 404 to make these cookie cutter "lofi" beats is very similar to getting a guitar to noodle around on and never really digging in to it. It's just the cool thing to do right now, and not everyone can be Hendrix. Few have to creativity/originality/drive to be really innovative and unique in their music, I think it's always been that way. If soundcloud existed in the 60s I'm sure it'd be just as over saturated with junk, just of a different kind. Real guitar players probably saw this coming, cuz there's always been a lot of "guitar players" out there, just like now there's a lot of "producers" out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm 

Seezesea, I agree 100% with everything you said, perfect way to describe it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 pm 

"tired of all these cookie cutter beats, 80% of this stuff doesn't even feel "lo-fi" to me."
AGREE

This lofi- everyone owns an sp- shit is trending hard. It all sounds the same to me. The only place where I find some variety is SP-FORUMS

I don't want to sound like a complete hater but Reddit/lofi.hiphop is over saturated and stale... I bet everyone will quit and change their hobby soon :mrgreen:

PS what ever happened to dubstep? :lol:
Honestly, I feel like it blew up a few years ago and then just shit itself

Trends come and go EH?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 am 

seezesea wrote:
It's just the cool thing to do right now, and not everyone can be Hendrix. Few have to creativity/originality/drive to be really innovative and unique in their music, I think it's always been that way. If soundcloud existed in the 60s I'm sure it'd be just as over saturated with junk, just of a different kind. Real guitar players probably saw this coming, cuz there's always been a lot of "guitar players" out there, just like now there's a lot of "producers" out there.

It's a sign of the times! Friggin 2018 for ya :lol:

CULP wrote:

Trends come and go EH?!

Dubstep died when Britney Spears used it on one of her albums.

I wish people that liked dubstep actually listened to reggae dub :?

p.s. i once made dubstep myself

Post subject: Are we thinking the same ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:04 am 

I posted " from LoFi to NoFi. Could it exists ? ". I did it here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25166 and also on reddit r/lofi etc... You can find the link in the sp-forums thread. I put it in another way I think. You can see the reactions. I didn't go in the details of the craft like you did all here. For sure there's a growing frustration. Something like LoFi trending has open the gates of hell with goblins, dwarves and trolls sporting SP404 and FL Studios invading what was some kind of Eden from their respectless and prideless demonic realm... Yeah ! Sounds alarming, ain't it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 pm 

CULP wrote:

r4ph431 wrote:
Trends come and go EH?!
Dubstep died when Britney Spears used it on one of her albums.

I wish people that liked dubstep actually listened to reggae dub :?

p.s. i once made dubstep myself

Dubstep lives on in the beatbox community Ha!
Few really original voices there either...

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:27 pm 

this is what happens to any genre that blows up. not too concerned by it tbh... originality speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm 

l i f wrote:
Dubstep lives on in the beatbox community Ha!
Few really original voices there either...

DUDE, the THROAT SINGING stuff that I've heard... Specially with the implementation of straws... Holy fuck. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it just now.