It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Post subject: SP202
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:57 pm 

I bought an SP202 donkeys years ago when they first came out……..we never really got on that well….I never really saw her as a sampler to make proper beats on….more just to trigger a few samples in DJ sets and stuff…

So I bought an MPC 2Kxl and gave my SP to my cousin…….years on and now I’ve got an MPC Ren and I’m getting my SP back because my cousin never uses it….

I’m planning on running my samples through the SP into my Ren……to crusty up the samples and degrade them and what not….

Anyone got any tips?....thoughts?.....opinions?

Post subject: Re: SP202
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:49 pm 

Don't fall into the trap of just making shit lofi just because. Making things lofi can be great just dont over use it.

My favorite color is oh my god bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:14 pm 

sell me ur 202

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:41 am 

i use the 202 mostly for processing, i use lofi 1 for kick drums, lofi any sample, and stuff. just for the sound, dont really jam out on it or record, sometimes it clicks when the zero crossings cut off. i sample lofi snares into mpc and stack them and get crunchy. the lofi kicks have lots of ring. and can stack those too with isolator to get deep lows. i test levels with a small speaker i made, when the eq is flat, it gives the full mid high spectrum, something u can completly make a bad habbit of missing with bad headphones or speakers, only thing is you gotta test lows, best way to easy and quick master a mix down is eq the rumble out onto tape, and make the mix full to 0db or 3db. then you know it can be duplicated/broadcasted, normally without crazy anomolies, like a bad headphone mixdown.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:17 am 

thanks for the advice LO-

so you generally sample a load of sounds into the SP, and then re-sample them into the MPC for sequencing etc?....

like Vivian says, I don't wanna over do the lo-fi thing....but I'm definitely planning on trying to get a certain sound of it that I can use from time to time.....

hisu - there are plenty of 202's for sale on ebay....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:50 am 

It's a dope machine.
But I wouldn't spend over a hundred bucks for.
It is worth the weight in gold for bouncing between another sampler for its pitch and lo fi sound.

I'm stuck in between buying a 202 or 303.
I got a Zoom SampleTrak ST-224 that I'm gonna use in conjunction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:53 am 

I still haven't got mine back yet, (hopefully this week)....but I seem to remember my major gripe with it was that it was a bitch to trim samples...getting the start and end points correct. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but it just seemed a bit awkward at the time.

For my planned method now it wont really matter because i'll do all the serious chopping in the MPC.....but back in the day it used to drive me nuts trying to get the kick to start at the beginning with no air.