It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on buying a bass guitar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:49 pm 

I got a bass 2 days ago myself ive been playingit through the mic input on the sp 404 i'm enjoying it very much! with and without the sp's effects on it. been trying to write "licks" to my beats, and watching how to videos for some of my fav bass lines. had a tiny bit of guitar experience before this, and will say the pentatonic scale practice is coming in handy. i'm complete shit, but i'm having fun experimenting. mfx 7 (distortion) is especially thrilling, I figured out how to do Kanye's hell of a life/ black sabath iron man bass line with that on it lol. best 100 bucks i ever spent.

ps. when I was in the store I got the bass at I saw an sp 303 for 299.99 and was very tempted with that. im not made of money though lol

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on buying a bass guitar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:04 pm 

It will take you to the next step as far as being a musician. We all make dope beats on our SP's, ST-224's, MPC's, and even our Computer DAWs. But picking up a real guitar, bass, is a whole other ball park. You'll have to figure out how to hold it, strum, pick or slap it. Your hands are going to develop calluses. That bass line you have in your head is not going to pop out until you figure out how your hand is going to hold down the fret & strings to make it come alive. It's going to require some serious practice. You might need to invest in some cheap/exspensive amps, pedals, guitar stands, books to help you along. When it comes to bass players & drummers, they sort of build the foundation of a song together. Using SP's kind of makes you a 1 man band with a bunch of contraptions attatched to you if you plan to play bass or 6 string guitar and do your beats to your SP. It can be done, but you're going to either record yourself playing your licks in your DAW, SP, or cheap 4 Track, and then doing your beats around what you played. Your Bass might need some compression so that it doesn't overpower the track you want to make. Wouldn't be much point in doing this if we heard your bass just fine, but could hardly make out the beats from your SP.

I don't know why, but sometimes I notice, whenever I buy something to make music with, it can solve one problem, but might open 3-5 other problems I haven't considered, and eventually must face. This is kind of like that for your scenario. Even if you got a free bass guitar, you'd still have to spend a little or lot on a bass amp. You'll also have a mountain of learning to play it after you figure out how to. But once you're good enough at it, you'll probably make hip hop loops people will wonder who you sampled. The look on their face when you tell them "That's me". And only the hard work you put into it will do that.