It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:40 am

Post subject: yo guys, new here :) about to buy an SP got a few questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 pm 

whats up? :D
so after deep web reaserch i decided to get an SP505
guys drop here very informative stuff much respect
so i'd like to get some general points,edvices, things to check,things you think i should know, whatever you can share with me about ordering one from ebay
oh and i understand that with 128 mb sm card the sp505 gets really slow, witch card capacity you prefer for smooth work flow? its an 3.3v crad right? they are all the same quality or...?

yeah thats about it for now
peace, welcome me nicely :D

Post subject: Re: yo guys, new here :) about to buy an SP got a few questi
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:29 pm 

I recommend getting a card reader from day one so you can back up all of your work. Have a physical copy of the manual. Watch the Olby tutorial videos on youtube.

My two cents:

In my opinion the dopest features of this machine is the Autochop (stick to drum breaks though). The ability to copy entire sample banks is a godsend. The 4 track Sequencer is very powerful, however, I find it much easier and light years faster to sequence in a DAW, but the option is there and that is a Huge plus for a lot of people. Last but not least, that sweet sweet sweetass lo-fi sampling that through some sort of digital witchery can mash together disparate sounds and form something palatable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:28 am 

You've chosen wisely, but there aren't really bad SP's in the family. They all got their positive & negatives, but you must have done your homework if you came to your decision. Go to your local library or Kinko's & print the .pdf manual, and just sit down with it, hooked up to your source for sampling. It could be your vcr, TV set, Xbox/PlayStation, CD player, turntable, or whatever you want that uses RCA jacks.
Most the time you sample in mono, but if you want to splurge on a 128mb simm card, you could sample in stereo if you see fit. (Just be patient, watch a movie, go for a walk, make a snack, have a drink/smoke, let the 505 do its thang, and when it's saved, you're golden).
I love the effects myself, but sometimes they can be hard to choose for your sample. Some sound great for the right drum hit, loop, vocal, etc. Sometimes it's not really what you are after, and you can just find another effect to try on it.
Just practice, ask here for help if you have further questions, and have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:46 pm 

thanks guys!
good points, yep the 505 will be very usefull for me