It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:30 am

Post subject: SP and Electronic Music
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:27 pm 

Just wondering if there are any people here who use the SP for electronic / House music. It seems most people on the SP use it for lofi dilla / flylo / madlib boom bap. Just trying to see the versatility of the SP how you guys get creative with other genres.

Post subject: Re: SP and Electronic Music
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:46 am 

I tried, but the DAW's lay waste to the SP's precision (all by ear). You could certainly cut perfect loops in a DAW, then use the SP to arrange and perform electronic or house.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:40 am 

It can be done. You might want to do what I do with my SP505 and my Korg EMX. I don't have them synced with MIDI, But I kind of sample some loops or sequences of the EMX, then just process and sample what I like into my 505. That's one way to do it. But if you just want to use a SP, and nothing else, it might be you just need to dl some loops, and basslines you like, and just chop some grooves that way.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am 

With a 404 theres not really much more you can do than beats. The 555 has a much more useable sequencer and with loop capture it becomes properly useable. Unfortunately theres no swing function which would be great for house/garage and all round groovey stuff but definitely think about getting one of them. Midi linked with an electribe for bass lines and melodies and then you're really winning. You just tweak the filters on the electribe and live mute/unmute in both machines and you can arrange tracks live easy.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:36 am 

I think the SP-Series are great to do electro, too. i've done an electronic/techno Album in the past - with the 404, the emx, the microkorg and an analogue monophonic synthesizer as main gear. I prefered throwing voice-samples, sampling pads and melodies, doin all the atmosphere on the 404... https://thegreatnoire.bandcamp.com/album/scratches

I did not do the drums on the 404, because of the more flexible sequencer of the emx. Recorded my tracks live as stereo tracks in the pc.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:32 pm 

Yep electribes are so so good. The first thing I ever got was an emx-1 before I even really knew what it was. I learned to write music on that thing. Finally after not really using it for a year or two I sold it in the winter to buy plane tickets to Amsterdam. 3 months later I bought the sp555... Such a fuckin huge mistake. Now I'm planning on buying the same thing back like an idiot. I want my original one back!!

P.s. I forgot about this:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23119&p=153084#p153084

3 tracks I made with the 555 all dance music

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:38 am 

The Same! My first Gear were the 404 and the emx (1 year later). the emx became something like the heart of my home studio. as midi master it sequenced other gear. After a year i disliked the poor plastic drums and missed polyphony funktion. And then i sold the emx to have money to buy the x0xb0x. :idea:
3 Months later i missed the emx as hell. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:40 pm 

TGN wrote:
The Same! My first Gear were the 404 and the emx (1 year later). the emx became something like the heart of my home studio. as midi master it sequenced other gear. After a year i disliked the poor plastic drums and missed polyphony funktion. And then i sold the emx to have money to buy the x0xb0x. :idea:
3 Months later i missed the emx as hell. :(

Thanks! I've been thinking about getting one of the new electribes but can't decide which is better for me. Electribe2 or Electribe2Sampler.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:54 am 

I guess that depends on what you want to do with either. Make electronic music with samples, or just with the synth engine/fx built in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:52 pm 

I be jamming on some hard experimental techno quite often with the 404. But with a lack of midi capability it is mostly just for effects and triggering weird samples and stuff on top

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:51 pm 

Probably Kaoss pad units or Pioneer DJ effects units would be a work around if you need more effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:56 am 

I usually make stuff thats either kind of experimental beat loops, or traditional sampled hip hop on the sp mostly. i sometimes load samples into ableton from the 404sx.

For genres like house, breaks, jungle, dubstep ive done some singular loops that just extend but no full tracks with a build up, break down etc.

Seems like the sps great for just doing loop based type stuff rather than complicated arrangements. ive done some non 4/4 time signature stuff with the sp as well.