It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 pm

Post subject: Producing unique music with SP's and the future of lofi
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:47 am 

I've been reading this forum for some time, checking out beat battles, youtube posts and listening to everyone's music who I run across...

Does anyone think it's maybe time to innovate and change the game up?

I feel like coming from the world of Daw's, soft synths, most recently hardware and analog and digital synths to where I am at now with an Sp202 and 404sx that it's really not fun to make beats with samples anymore. I really think that these machines are capable of some dope ass music if they are put to more creative use... but then again samples sound really dope as well. What do you think? Is it time for vinyl sim on EP or rhodes to go already? I've been making original music on the SP's and am currently looking into a 505 to get in depth with my beats on them and get away from Ableton.

Any thoughts?

Anyone know any cool tricks for performing live with the 505? I'm also thinking of going out to promo a tape I'm working on.

Post subject: Re: Producing unique music with SP's and the future of lofi
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:35 pm 

I'm totally sick of the vinyl sim Rhodes samples too.

But you can do whatever you want. The music you make doesn't rely on what anyone else is doing. What anyone else does shouldn't really affect you at all.

Go crazy and make as many innovations as you want bro

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:54 pm 

KIYANI wrote:
I'm totally sick of the vinyl sim Rhodes samples too.

But you can do whatever you want. The music you make doesn't rely on what anyone else is doing. What anyone else does shouldn't really affect you at all.

Go crazy and make as many innovations as you want bro

True, I get that, I just feel like we need to acknowledge this a little more but I fear most people are near and dear to this style of beats and won't contribute to the discussion.

I totally am cool with those beats I just don't want these machines to pigeonhole every artist who uses them. They are capable of some really dope things. Anyone here listen to Jawgems? They make music with SP's that is really dope and experimental while still keeping the sampling hip hop sound at the core.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:11 pm 

I think it comes down to how you sample. That really defines what genre of music you are creating. Also stuff like bpm, drum patterns. All this stuff is written down and are characteristics of genres that sound good. Much like chord progressions and scales, these characteristics sound good and make for good music. You can do anything and be experimental but if you completely abandon the rules that define a genre, you are going to make music that you are not happy with because you have no frame of reference. It's ballsy and it might work but from my experience if I don't like something, usually others don't either.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:29 am 

I agree with yall sentiments, ive been on the SP and in this forum for quite a while. I do agree that the lo-fi, rhodes,boom bap kung fu beats do have the tendency to sound pastiche and dated but dont get me wrong, OG cats out here have the meanest chop game coz of the fact that SP's have its own unique workflow and quality sonic-wise but then again there's few cats that are willing to try and branch out from the usual beatscapes. what it all boils down to is taste and preference coz admit it or not we often overlook the work behind the output esp if youre coming from a producer/beatmaker perspective. all love sp fam. keep at it.

http://dustedwax.org/dwk288.html

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:45 am 

How about we start by clarifying that "lo-fi" is low-fidelity.. Which simply means low sound quality.

I think too many cats are focused on making shit quality beats nowadays and go to extensive lengths to do so...

Slowing down samples, "warmth", tape saturation, bitcrushing... It's not difficult to do these things.

I also see that everyone thoughtlessly throws the term "lo-fi hip-hop" around to describe what is actually ALTERNATIVE HIP-HOP.

btw I made a thread about a month ago which pretty much discusses this topic... http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23444

you should read it.. a lot of people spoke out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:22 am 

what u saying is true,the "Lo-fi" scene has eaten itself out,like most of the scene who stick and copy others who did it before,I love some of those beats too but I think has been done it too much already,that goes in everyone's heads finally(to do the same shit on and on) most of the times people prefers the quick step to be accepted and validated than the search of what you want to hear or sample or produce,myself I've sampled all kinds of shit,seems that a lot of people haven't learned a shit from what they sampling just "ouh ok these seems a good shit to chop and that's it",instead of listening more music and learn from it...to me sampling music in hip hop has invited my ears to know more about the original songs and music sampled thru the years and cultivate myself with different music from different cultures or countries..it is always a learning process and that's one of the things I love about sampling made music.