It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [rant] Where's all the innovation?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:11 am 

There's a video on YouTube about Gangstarr's Mass Appeal song.

Guru was getting upset that he and Preemo was putting out music that was just as dope as say Run DMC, but they weren't seeing as much dough.

It didn't stop heads from forming an underground cult following.
And years later, after Guru passed (R.I.P.) heads still bump their shit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:35 am 

Make classics not "the same as that shit"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:18 am 

i think real-time electronic instrumentation is a thing that is rarely implemented in electronic music as far as innovation goes..

e.g midi flutes, midi sax that connect into synths.

Its not something im primarily interested in though.

anything i do thats not traditional i would describe as experimental.
im glad there are existing traditional genres to assimilate to.

traditional stuff is more reliable, experimental stuff is newer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 pm 

personally as a sample based sp user i find my innovation comes from constantly listening to new shit i haven't heard of yet... when you're making a beat you shouldn't be looking for a sample that fits ur comfort u should be making the beat around the sample... the point is to take the sample and augment on it and change it into something different as well turn it into something better... and when you always have new sources of music in different kinds of genres for your samples i feel that it doesn't get boring and cookie cutter
i always dig through crates and in different places all my samples come from records including all my drum sounds

edit...

like this beat https://soundcloud.com/beatusertapes/hi ... 0z3d-ll-dy

it's a pretty cookie cutter beat but shit i think it is pretty cool
(all the drums were mine and from vinyl including the crashes and gongs)

p.s. i have a load of unreleased shit i'ma be dropping this year that's pretty cool

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:44 am 

hisu wrote:
this beat https://soundcloud.com/beatusertapes/hi ... 0z3d-ll-dy

it's a pretty cookie cutter beat but shit i think it is pretty cool
(all the drums were mine and from vinyl including the crashes and gongs)

p.s. i have a load of unreleased shit i'ma be dropping this year that's pretty cool

am feeling dis
keep doing what you're doing :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 pm 

SYNTH BEATS : I WANNA HEAR MORE !!! LIKE SERIOUSLY , NOONE MAKE SYNTH MUSIC APPART TEAM CANADA , SAMIYAM & HIS FRIENDS ?

if you want some synth beats for more lofi exp stuff i can pst some up on my dropbox? or mail you a tape?

hardware=fun----- sorry recorded with an s6 phone so you will not get the full low end like you will on the actual loops.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJyGV-bDGiG ... bonefish67
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJyQsDDDxpB ... bonefish67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 pm 

S_L_O wrote:
SYNTH BEATS : I WANNA HEAR MORE !!! LIKE SERIOUSLY , NOONE MAKE SYNTH MUSIC APPART TEAM CANADA , SAMIYAM & HIS FRIENDS ?

if you want some synth beats for more lofi exp stuff i can pst some up on my dropbox? or mail you a tape?

hardware=fun----- sorry recorded with an s6 phone so you will not get the full low end like you will on the actual loops.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJyGV-bDGiG ... bonefish67
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJyQsDDDxpB ... bonefish67

you're a mad man!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:31 am 

KIYANI wrote:
I would have to generally agree. If you check out that Fender Rhodes playlist on youtube you will hear like 50 samples from beats you hear on SC everyday. Loads of new heads seemed to pop up out of nowhere and be doing the same shit. Fender rhodes playlist, Japanese jazz playlist, and fucking yuji ohno.

I guess its cool that more people make music, but of course it will just dilute the scene. There is more quantity than quality now. I'm very bored of fucking vibraphone vinyl sim overdose beats at 70bpm.

Totally agree and most these dude's str8 loop and sum e soon like 8 or 16 bar just let the sample play loops with a break so safe n boring makes me wanna do some synth shit even if I can't play just so I'm not adding to the like

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/user-411272963

new beats soon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:48 pm 

S_L_O wrote:
SYNTH BEATS

The next time SPforums go all Voltron for a compilation tape, I'd be down for a synth/samplefree theme. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:14 pm 

Yo guys, new here but thought i'd chime in.

I won't get into my history with music or the LOFI beats scene, but rest assured - i'm new. The thing that has always been something I personally wanted to work on was the SONG LENGTH. Yes we can innovate a million things when it comes to music, but this is something that really strikes me that I want to try messing with.

For example guys like the Nujabes did not have 1min 30 second beats. I find making longer tracks pushes your compositional skills further (nothing wrong with small beats) in the sense that you can't just rip a sample, through some LOFI drums on it and then be good for 3 minutes. People's attention spans are short with music these days, so making a good 3-4 minute lofi beat I think is something really really cool. That's my 2 cents though and what I am aspiring to do.

Anyways cool topic and good conversation, will keep my eyes posted for responses :)

-bitte

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:21 am 

bittePlease wrote:
Yo guys, new here but thought i'd chime in.

I won't get into my history with music or the LOFI beats scene, but rest assured - i'm new. The thing that has always been something I personally wanted to work on was the SONG LENGTH. Yes we can innovate a million things when it comes to music, but this is something that really strikes me that I want to try messing with.

For example guys like the Nujabes did not have 1min 30 second beats. I find making longer tracks pushes your compositional skills further (nothing wrong with small beats) in the sense that you can't just rip a sample, through some LOFI drums on it and then be good for 3 minutes. People's attention spans are short with music these days, so making a good 3-4 minute lofi beat I think is something really really cool. That's my 2 cents though and what I am aspiring to do.

Anyways cool topic and good conversation, will keep my eyes posted for responses :)

-bitte

THIS^

I like the way you think mang!

It's fairly easy to create a hook or a catchy beat but holding your audience's attention in this day and age is becoming increasingly difficult. I applaud anyone who can do so.

And there's actually tricks to it too.

The human mind can only actively follow three elements in a song. Once you start adding more than that... That's when the magic happens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:29 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Well some folk have commercial ambitions that may take some precedent over pure creative artistic endeavors. I think we all experiment with unfimiliar territory at times, but the simple fact that it was envisioned and created makes it serve a purpose for the creator. Critical examination is usually best when applied to ones own work, because most of us desire greater facility with our creations. Listen, or do not listen can be a less perplexing approach to other peoples music.

What is this magic you speak of when adding more than three things to a song? Elaborate please/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 pm 

i miss that time when soundcloud were not fashion and people were creatives/ originals and especially wasn't scary of trying some new stuffs...

and sorry but for those who buy SP just for the effects and vinyl sim but you don't understand what is real`SP spirit`/'style' : try to make a beat only with your sp instead of just resample your computer beats ! :x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:01 am 

HELLOPILLOW wrote:
i miss that time when soundcloud were not fashion and people were creatives/ originals and especially wasn't scary of trying some new stuffs...

and sorry but for those who buy SP just for the effects and vinyl sim but you don't understand what is real`SP spirit`/'style' : try to make a beat only with your sp instead of just resample your computer beats ! :x

amen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next