It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Post subject: Re: [rant] Where's all the innovation?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:04 pm 

Quote:
I won't get into my history with music or the LOFI beats scene, but rest assured - i'm new. The thing that has always been something I personally wanted to work on was the SONG LENGTH. Yes we can innovate a million things when it comes to music, but this is something that really strikes me that I want to try messing with.

My comments aren't worth much, my experience seriously lacks on the production side, and these are incredibly general comments.

I am also extremely new to the SP/ beat making scene but I really agree with your comment about length. I think that's one of the reasons I can get tired of a certain beat-makers sounds so quickly. Not enough of a chance to appreciate composition?

I always appreciate an original beat/loop, but but how it talks and transitions the rest of the track that hits it home for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:58 am 

I'm a beat maker eho started producing for almost a year now and yet i haven't made a beat that i am confident of. Not that they are all crap but it is just that I have not yet made a beat that I could proudly call mine.

I guess that what most sc producers are lacking is the ability to self-critique; wherein once they start getting into their genre's comfort zone they just lie low and produce the same sounding beats over and over again. And I kind of envy them for that ONLY for the reason of their self-confidence.

I have made it to the point wherein whatever sonical rechniques I have used in my last beat, I wont be using them in the next project of mine. Shit's tiring and very disappointing because nothing sounds good to me. I just sleep it off and just try and try again.

Complacency and comfort can be any musician's best friend or mortal enemy.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:41 am 

johnnyturbotime wrote:
I'm a beat maker eho started producing for almost a year now and yet i haven't made a beat that i am confident of. Not that they are all crap but it is just that I have not yet made a beat that I could proudly call mine.

I guess that what most sc producers are lacking is the ability to self-critique; wherein once they start getting into their genre's comfort zone they just lie low and produce the same sounding beats over and over again. And I kind of envy them for that ONLY for the reason of their self-confidence.

I have made it to the point wherein whatever sonical rechniques I have used in my last beat, I wont be using them in the next project of mine. Shit's tiring and very disappointing because nothing sounds good to me. I just sleep it off and just try and try again.

Complacency and comfort can be any musician's best friend or mortal enemy.

Constant elevation is key my friend. When you get comfortable in your lane that's when it's time to move on.

I feel bad for dudes like Knx, when he first came out there was nobody touching his shit - it seemed like the perfect progression from the Donuts era to me, now I find it hard to bump his tapes as every other soundcloud post for a good four years was a knx imitation.

The original acts survive though thankfully, I mean look at Pete Rock - he's had people imitate his style for over 25 years and is still going strong.

https://delawon.bandcamp.com/