It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 pm

Post subject: Volca Beats vs Volca Sample?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:51 pm 

anybody had both?

which has better sounds?

with the Volca Sample can you load hits or do you have to record sounds via phone app?

gonna most likely get 1 .. need feedback for better model

Appreciated highly . 1 1

Live life . Love life

Post subject: Re: Volca Beats vs Volca Sample?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:40 pm 

I don't own either, but from what I know about Volca Sample is you need either a iPad or smartphone, and a app for converting samples into the Volca Sample. It's not at all like a SP that can sample something directly from a source. I did play with it for a bit, and it took me a minute to figure out how to change patterns on it, but once I figured it out, then I think I was able to select different samples from its memory to use. You can edit them to a certain extent from the control knobs.

You asked how they sound. Well, you can find out on YouTube. Volca Beats sounds like a cheap, almost TR606 drum machine. I think on its own it will be ok for a portable jam, but down the road, you will want to toss in some more Volcas to join it. As far as how the Volca Sample goes, it kind of depends on how much you like the pre-programmed samples it came with. If you dont like them, you can dl your own you find from the Internet. So I think together they are a decent combo.

When the new FM Volca comes out, I'm not sure how many DX7 patches it can store internally, but I do know there are tons of patches out there. I'm really interested in picking up at least 2 of those when they hit the market.

Another thing about the Volca Beats. They can be modded, if you don't mind giving up your warranty. I don't know which modifications are possible, but I do know they can be circuit bent for a few different sounds, more outputs, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:40 am 

Much respect..

thanks for your input Headphones.. i didnt think it was possible to load wav's . i wanted a drum machine to store my own drums n percussions

Quality!

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:41 pm 

There's an pc/mac editor for loading samples onto the volca sample as well.
I loaded some of my own collected drum hits in there and use its simple sequencer to create patterns. I used my daw to put half a second of silence at the beginning of each sample and now i can change the start point of the samples in the volca. That way i can shift the drum hits and am not restricted to the 16 step grid. Another cool thing is that you can record most of the knobs controller data into the patterns. I like this machine very much.

I also have the volca beats which is cool too. Soundwise it's more limited but with the stutter function yoou can create interesting rhythms real fast that i never would have programmed.
The volca sample is more versatile but both are very intuitive and a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:20 pm 

Ive messed around with both
volca beats is cool not the greatest 808 replica but it can give you a decent sound, the sub kick is really good snare sucks clap is good everything else is just meh.. (note all this can be enhanced with a mod tho)

volca sample is really dope only thing i noticed is that its a bitch to have to upload the samples via the computer would've been much better if you can sample straight into the unit using a 1/8th inch plug or something but if you can look past it the workflow is pretty cool and you can come up with some interesting sounding stuff!

CZNVIN90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:04 am 

i loaded almost all kinds of sounds into the volca sample, it doesnt have a/d converter so it plays samples real good, and the isolator is dope, i mostly make something awesome then write over that slot with something bunk before i can expand on the idea, the bendy sound was used in lots of pop dance hits, the types of modulation are normal and automating things should not be rocket science, like the 1 page manual doesnt even tell you how to use it, it just shows what everything is, and you dont even need to learn the manual, except combos, so yea and swing, loading shouldnt be a big deal, speed up the samples if they are long, my last bank was kind of terrible acutually, a bunch of micro korg sounds and glitches i exported from the 404 and some of them came from the volca sample or volca beats. volca beats is getting annoying trying to get new glitch rhythms and variation, get stuck in the same glitch shuffle every times, then the sounds just get annoying. needs more features. can do dubstep with just the volca beats and a sp404 tho. i found a keyboard with 1 second, and can make 1 shots and nice cruncgy sample banks .