It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 pm

Post subject: Whats Missing?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:40 am 

So i just upped a track on the cloud and i definitely like the direction i was heading with the acapella, but i cant help but think theres something missing ...

Idk i mean, maybe im just always bashing myself more than i should.
i tend to do that alot (sorta psycologically conditioned to do so with everything thats happened in my past)

but i would love any feedback from you guys and lemme know if theres anything that you guys think is missing or could be improved.

Thanks again!! love being apart of the 404 community. i can tell you, not very many (if any) people in my area like the kind of music i make ha!! your support and feedback really help on a deeper level than most think. :P :P :P

https://soundcloud.com/beantsbeats/cold-tea

Post subject: Re: Whats Missing?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:09 pm 

Sounds good to me, but it could benefit from spicing it up a little. I know that feeling when you're kinda satisfied with what you've done and listen to it a week later thinking "Mh, this isn't so bad but it still feels a bit empty so what could I add to it to make it more interesting?" It's like the basic idea is done but not refined into a full fledged track.
Having a concept in mind of what specific sounds you want to use and add is totally a thing of experience, I guess, and I'm still working on that myself. So what I tend to do is when I've got a beat recorded is loop some sections of it and fool around with the samples still on the machine and see if I can find something that I can throw into the track. Like tiny pieces, stabs or one-offs so not everything just repeats itself. Or stuff that isn't really obvious at first listen but noticeable if you just turn it on for a couple of bars and then off again. Then loop another section and try to overdub it with something different. Even if it's just a subtle cymbal that you only use once, if you add details like that it will definitely enrich the track. And keep in mind that you've also got the stereo field to work with so there's always lots of space to fill on each side of the listener. So even if you think another percussion track would overfill the track and clutter things up you could just use a bit panning to take it to its own space and make it interesting.

So just put on some tracks from your favorite beat maker and try to spot the details he put into his beats here and there. I found that even when it sounds very basic/minimal there's always variation somewhere so it doesn't get dull.

P.S.: Maybe this would've better gone into Production Technique or Your Music

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:12 pm 

Rhua wrote:
So just put on some tracks from your favorite beat maker and try to spot the details he put into his beats here and there. I found that even when it sounds very basic/minimal there's always variation somewhere so it doesn't get dull.

Yeah i feel that!! Sorta been on a creativity shortage with everything thats been going on in my daily life as of rn. but i definitely know what you mean. Sometimes minimalism aint all minimal haha!! Also (for me) its sort of hard to make any beats out of a sample that already has drums in it. havent found a way to make something up of it. i tend to stay in my safe zone and sample parts of tracks that are solo's, intro's, or outro's hahahaah but i probably should try out some different techniques. Thanks for the words G!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:55 pm 

Beants wrote:
Also (for me) its sort of hard to make any beats out of a sample that already has drums in it. havent found a way to make something up of it. i tend to stay in my safe zone and sample parts of tracks that are solo's, intro's, or outro's hahahaah but i probably should try out some different techniques.

Same here! :lol: