It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 am

Post subject: recent finds
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:46 am 

what'd you find in the goodwill/record store/garbage etc?

records/gear/anything

Today I was walking to a train station and decided to stop into this goodwill store that never, ever (!) has any records worth paying for.
(they all cost 50c so that says about how undesirable they are)
Just on a whim that maybe someone had just dropped some new stuff off there...

Seems theyve cleared out alot of their crap, and I managed to score a bunch of 45's for $2, all sort of rock oriented or horrible gaudy 80s. . . nothing amazing but a few cool tunes...

Billy Idol (live recording) - shakin all over

Wings - Letting Go

This track is really cool...never heard of it, just bought it cos it was produced by paul mccartney (and he sang in it i believe?) and i am totally in awe of some of these old producer's talents...
..Could totally imagine floatin off into weed heaven with this as my soundtrack.. definitely the pick of the bunch!

Dead or alive - you spin me right round (somewhat lol)

i got some others, eurhythmics, bad english. . . nothing worth mentioning though. . man i need a portable turntable!

so whatre your recent finds? cant be hard to better these as a starter! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:45 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

yeah there was a lot of good popular music at one time. I usually try to pick up records I never heard of for sampling, but sometimes I gotta buy those well known classic records just to enjoy.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:21 pm 

well in my country there are almost no good digging spots. in the 70s and 80s the country was in a depression so therefore most people didn't have disposable income therefore really limiting the amount of good shit you find. whenever i go digging i usually end up with a pile of almost useless records but luckily for me my dad has a crazy taste in music that im only appreciating recently. he has a huge collection of jazz, blues, funk, experiemental rock and bossa nova.

well a while back tho i went "digging" (i use that word lightly) at a local place that gets records in sometimes. im sure most of you are familiar with the BBC (british broadcasting corporation) well the store had gotten in about 100 records of recordings from the BBC from as far back as the 30s. i think these are like single presses of things they used for shows. they all came in just plain sleaves with the BBC logo on the record and all run at 78 RPM. they have some crazy interviews as well. i got the lot for 40euro which was dope.

some really weird shit on those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:25 pm 

^^^ Now that's a good find!

I came across a DJ Faust record the other day. But that was in a real record store. I find so much stuff in thrift stores and used record stores, I can't even clearly remember what came from where. It's almost too easy to stumble across great records for cheap in a place like New York.

Ooh! I just remembered a great find. About a month ago, at a street fair, I found Terminator X's solo album from the 90s. He's the leader/DJ of The Bomb Squad, the crew responsible for all of Public Enemy's beats. Quite a nice find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:58 pm 

where are you from Hot Sauce?

those BBC records sound nice, i bet there's plenty of bizarre phrases spoken in that old-style speech ready for sampling

my mixer is currently out of service, so i've been restraining my digging. the last good find i had was some vinyl left outside a second-hand shop, being given away for free. found the box one morning on the way home from a big night, selected a few choice records and continued home to crash. got some Anthony Braxton, which has been great for weird horn noises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:51 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I literally have 58 records I bought in Seattle a few months ago that I haven't listened to, let alone sample. The needle broke and I haven't ordered a replacement since I have so many digital files. You miss a lot when you can skip through tracks so quickly. I never skip around on vinyl, I just listen to both sides all the way through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:05 pm 

me too,

I find that im collecting records as much for songs i like as for samples. . so its less of a 'lets plow through this bunch and rip all the samples" as "i wonder if i picked up any good tunes?"

The other day I heard those magic words in a local charity store "we have some records out the back we haven't sorted yet..."

Unfortunately it was all christian singers and such :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:09 pm 

true. you do miss out on loads on stuff when you just skip through the record. sometimes the best part of the whole record (in regards to sampling) is just half a bar long so its very easy to miss that.

Drewzle wrote:
where are you from Hot Sauce?

those BBC records sound nice, i bet there's plenty of bizarre phrases spoken in that old-style speech ready for sampling

im from ireland man. went through some more of the BBC reocrds today and there is some stuff that is totally insane like doing these sound-check type things and one is a doctor and patient interview. its weird.

in regards to digging for songs and not samples. well i always dig for sounds. if i buy a record for 2euro and it has a couple of sounds i can rip then its all cool. i don't buy other genres of sampleable (is that a word?) music and call it digging. for example lately im really into reggae and bossa nova. i don't go digging for it tho. i just buy the records from the internet or something. i dont think of these as sample sources, im just getting more into that sort of music than hip-hop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 pm 

I just got back from visiting my Moms and as I was getting in the car and saying goodbye she pulled out a big-ass bag full of 8 tracks for me!!! Prolly around 30 albums. Now all I gotta do is find an 8 track player to add to my collection and I'll be golden. Finding one will be a fun thrift store mishuan. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:28 am 

One trick for getting more out of a really crap record is to hit record on your sampler and randomly put the needle down in different spots on the record as its turning. Use your other hand to stop the record or push it unnaturally at the same time and you'll get all sorts of glitchy madness. Then put those glitchy sounds through enormous amounts of reverb and delay (maybe a bit o' rotary and space-d as well) and presto - original sound FX to use in your tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:51 pm 

Count Sierackula wrote:
I just got back from visiting my Moms and as I was getting in the car and saying goodbye she pulled out a big-ass bag full of 8 tracks for me!!! Prolly around 30 albums. Now all I gotta do is find an 8 track player to add to my collection and I'll be golden. Finding one will be a fun thrift store mishuan. 8)

good luck with them 8-tracks man. From my personal experience most of em dont work anymore but then again the ones I try are usually in bad condition. Dust is a killer for 8tracks and 8track players

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:53 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

606man wrote:
One trick for getting more out of a really crap record is to hit record on your sampler and randomly put the needle down in different spots on the record as its turning. Use your other hand to stop the record or push it unnaturally at the same time and you'll get all sorts of glitchy madness. Then put those glitchy sounds through enormous amounts of reverb and delay (maybe a bit o' rotary and space-d as well) and presto - original sound FX to use in your tracks.

Yeah, totally useful. If you want cool sound FX a lot is possible with taking just about any random sample; you can reverse it, add reverb, delays and so on and eventually it will sound nice or useful. Works a charm. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:08 pm 

juxt wrote:
Count Sierackula wrote:

good luck with them 8-tracks man. From my personal experience most of em dont work anymore but then again the ones I try are usually in bad condition. Dust is a killer for 8tracks and 8track players

Looks like I got a mixed bag with some being decent and some looking straight broke down. We'll find out pretty soon hopefully. I got a coworker who knows someone selling an 8 track deck... as long as they aren't trying to make money on the sh*t I think I'm gonna snatch it up. I was thinking like $30 would be fair for a player... ? Hopefully that will work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:09 am 

Oh snap! Brought home my new-old-ass 8 track player today! 40 bucks! Right now I'm listening to the mamas and the papas... and I got a whole bag of stuff to go through. :lol:

These old boxes have some crazy controls/features on em... there are separate knobs for the L&R channel volume controls (nice cause I just listened to a flute solo that was entirely on the L channel, w the backing on the R)... there is a L&R RCA mic input on the front of the box... nice, real wood paneling, thick as hell actually... and RECORD! Woooooowwwwww.

Hopefully I can come up on some blank 8 track cassettes to test it out. Crazy. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 am 

yeah, those old recivers sound good too. I used to have a old fisher 8 track/reciever. I used to have some blank 8 tracks still in the plastic wrap, but someone threw em out just yesterday :x