It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:40 pm 

Hot Sauce wrote:
yeah i agree with you for simple cutting but for more complex styles i can definately notice the difference. tech hasn't caught up yet in regards to latency which is a balls when scratching revolves around intricate record movements.

I definitely agree. I will always prefer vinyl over a CD. But being able to burn my own discs with any sound in the universe that I can get a mic in front of is a real boon to my music. Since CDs can play high quality 16-bit wavs, I think they sound a lot better than most DJs who use Turntable software to play their entire mp3 library.

Oh and yes, for the really ill qbert style scratching or i.e.merge drum juggling it's just got to be vinyl. Though, I'd bet some kid will come along and show us a thing or two in the coming years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:29 am 

aaa

Last edited by aelkminsur on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:20 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Maybe with the toys you seem to kick it with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:41 am 

DR.Sample303 wrote:
I believe that a successful digital version of analog turntables can be made and eventually will come to the average consumer. I just haven't seen it done yet.

will NEVER happen.

first you have to understand what is the difference between the movement of an analog record and a digital record. they can EMULATE (keyword) but never make digitized version that is of the same quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:12 am 

**note on previous post under my name**
My room-mate was reading over my shoulder the other night and "just had to" put in his two cents on this topic.
Although I agree with him on most of his points - I thought they were delivered with a bit too much spite so I deleted it.

Most everybody here has said it already but it's all about the finished product and the fun you have in creating it. It doesn't matter where you got the sound (LP, CD, MP3, Cassette, Internet, Field Recording...)

But there is definitely something special about finding an old crusty LP that you have spent hours or days searching for that has the exact sound you needed.

Also, it's just more fun being able to use your hands when creating and manipulating sound. Thats why we chose SP's and not the latest version of FL right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:21 am 

^right. Like it was before the internet existed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:49 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

aelkminsur wrote:
But there is definitely something special about finding an old crusty LP that you have spent hours or days searching for that has the exact sound you needed.

I definitely agree, but often I'm not searching for certain sounds, I just come across them and think damn that's a nice song to sample from. Sometimes it turns out to be not quite a useful sample or a real b.. to work with because of tempo changes or whatever.

I like the overall challenge of trying though. 8)

Quote:
Also, it's just more fun being able to use your hands when creating and manipulating sound. Thats why we chose SP's and not the latest version of FL right?

I totally agree, even though I do use software to further mix my work down and occasionally add vocals and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:54 pm 

moral question:
is recording a live bhuddist ceremony and then using it, wrong?
i had a chance a while back but i loused it.
does that break personal rights?
haven't done it yet! just curious, what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:04 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Just keep your intentions positive and no disrespect will be perceived. I've used Buddhist chants for music. I also practice making all my vocal chords vibrate at the same time during meditations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:13 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

jbl wrote:
moral question:
is recording a live bhuddist ceremony and then using it, wrong?
i had a chance a while back but i loused it.
does that break personal rights?
haven't done it yet! just curious, what do you think?

I don't think a live buddhist ceremony would fall under my 'not done' category, but it definitely depends on what you would do with it.

When I come to think of it, I don't think there are much things if any things I wouldn't sample. Deciding not to sample something usually means it was unsuited (or just not good enough) in the first place.

In the end if it sounds good and I can sample it, I probably would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:03 pm 

Euclid Ov Oåklånd wrote:
...Sounds are just energy vibrating on certain frequencies so it's all how you use it....

Technically yes, but there is a lot more involved in sampling from original recorded media...

To me it's crazy that the very same piece of media - vinyl, cassette, 8 track or whatever... has been played so many times by so many people. It has traveled in it's physical form all over, been touched by lots of different people in different walks of life, and been a part of many personal experiences.

I think that's the soul you get sampling from original media and not taking stuff off the net. It's keeping "real" experiences alive as opposed to digitizing and virtualizing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah, but the same could be said for all sampling since your just digitizing a live performance and replaying it. In that line of thinking the "realest" thing to do would be grab a guitar and some drums and multitrack it all to recreate tracks like Madlib's Yesterdays New Quintet. But I totally feel where your coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:19 pm 

I started making beat-based music with software, simple drag and drop, it's that easy. Push play and it'll sound the same every single time, no flaws at all. It might've come up with some more or less good tracks but for me as the artist behind it that doesn't fill me in. If I wanted to play that shit live I couldn't even think of how to do that, I feel that's kinda weak.

I optimize and arrange sounds/drums on my PC and then take em to my SP. From then I play all my stuff into my sampler preferably via instruments cuz I like to create and play as much samples as I can by my own cuz as a musician I'd feel a bit odd if I didn't.

When it comes to sampling from other sources I had to cut it from mp3s until some months ago cuz I simply didn't have the equipment to do it any other way. When I once visited a friend with my SP he let me use his turntable and some of his soundtrack vinyls I immediately felt much more caught up in the process than sitting in front of my screen and clicking through my mp3 collection. It's a whole lot more rewarding and fun (!) to me. There's no urgent need to buy vinyls these days but I guess you actually feel what you're doing and someone who hasn't done so doesn't know what he's missing.

I try not to sample from anything that is based on samples itself and I prefer sources that aren't directly connected to the style of music I'm doing. For example I try to fuse electronic sounds in my beats with sounds I got from my environment or tunes from back in the days when they didn't even have electronic music. If I just sampled a synth melody that was nothing inventive or creative.

I hope you got my point of view *g*

sound of nature > instruments > analogue recordings > digital recordings > techno :P