It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

Post subject: Music School
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:08 pm 

have any of you ever gone to music school? i'm over the college grind taking up so much of my time that i can't really even work on music anymore.

the music schools that offer production classes are all software based it seems with minimal hardware :? my heart lies in the sp's but learning ableton would be cool

the other class option would be engineering. i have no experience with engineering, but honestly this seems like the way to go to make money. i know it's really not about the money, but i mean, i need food...

Post subject: Re: Music School
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:20 pm 

Just buy or dowload ableton live and use it. You don't really need to pay someone to teach you those things. There are a bunch of free online tutorials, videos, and books on mixing and mastering.

If I were you, I'd finish college and cut back on sleep to work on music. :mrgreen:

Or just get into the music thing 500%

Last edited by 444 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:15 pm 

yeah i have ableton and use it a little bit. i know i don't need to pay someone to teach me how to use it. there's more opportunities surrounding myself by like-minded people though you know? music production seems really hard to get a career out of, but that's the ideal goal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:10 pm 

From what I've heard and gathered, they don't teach Ableton Live in most schools anyways. Protools is the main tool of the trade.

Well if you know what you want you just gotta do it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:18 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

If you're looking to go to school to be a star, forget it. It's easier to just do things however you figure out how to do them and have an engineer mix your tracks afterwards. If you go to music school, that's for music production, production-line situations and such. Unless you're going to go full on music theory, which is something else altogether and also doesn't amount to rockstar status in terms of practical application.

So basically what I'm saying is that...if you're going to school for some kind of 'investment', I'd stay away from music in general because on the practical side, it's more of a trade than anything (think advertisement jingles, doing looping audio over tv shows for actors to fix their lines, being a sound guy for a travelling band, etc.). If those things are things you dig then by all means, it will be an investment. However, if that's not what you're thinking about and you still want to invest in college, just know that it's then a personal investment rather than an economical/personal one.

Just my two cents going to a school with a bunch of audio and media majors there.

And yeah, they use Protools.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 pm 

I have studied music in an academic capacity to university degree level. And in my experience it was a complete waste of time. The only good thing was that I got to live in London. But I blew a shit ton of cash even though I had a scholarship thing where I didn't have to pay for tuition.

The whole thing killed my vibe and I didn't make music for years afterwards and even completely stopped playing the bass. They were so focused on making the students into professional, money making, human jukeboxes, rather than interesting and creative, innovative musicians.

Remember that in formal education, they 'teach' what they want you to know so that you can fit in to this industry that is already in place.

''industry standard''

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:32 am 

Studying music really is interesting. Unlike some other things... I remember my college years and how much I hated all those useless assignments. And at the time we didn't have services like studymoose.com and similar ones so it was much harder than now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:03 pm 

I live in Spain and I recommend Caraban Music School has a site on facebook where you can ask for information facebook.com/CarabanEscuelaDeMusica/
I don't share that formal education, they 'teach' what they want you to know so that you can fit in to this industry that is already in place. There are many musical genres

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:35 pm 

I wouldn’t mind some music theory or a bit of experience in learning the art of recording. How to mix, how to eq, fix something not quite right (making a vocal fit into the wrong key the guitar player did for instance). And definitely learn ProTools.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:44 am 

No, but I wanna join a music school.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 am 

I took a class or two on basic music, really learned a lot. Teacher was a professional musician and composer that was great at explaining complex ideas in simple ways. you can prob find a local school and take a class without enrolling in an entire program. Worth it I think if there's some things that just don't "make sense" when you watch a youtube vid. I liked having the access to a guy who genuinely wanted to help people learn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 pm 

@warmgloom

If you're serious , i'd advise persuing the mixing . This music shit pays off for a small % . But you can make legit paper being a sound engineer with stable income .

Ableton to me is the best tool on the market as far as software goes.

Depending on how long you got left of College ( i assume it's the equivalent of University in the UK )

Persue what you love before it reaches a point of having no time to do Music. Life ( relationships n kids will take your time ) but that ain't it all.

Get that Music career before it slips from your reach .

I know many people who were hoping on that big chance .. and they didn't even persue it like that . And seen people putting in all the right resources but lack the originality of those that didn't put the big graft in . It can really fuck with people man .

If you go to do Music . Figure out how you can make that your 1st income . And the Artistry second . Not to desuade you from creativity . Just prioritise what you want out of it.

The course will put you directly in contact with creative collaborators . The professional Muic career can put you in line with some big artists

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:24 pm 

Getting into a music school can be hard, but rewarding. The first step is to get your name out there and to make sure you have the right connections. Letting people know that you are interested in getting into a music school early on is an important step towards getting in. You can download a template from https://masterbundles.com/templates/presentations/powerpoint/simple/ to pitch yourself in an effective manner. It can also help to be connected to someone who is studying in a music school or has some other connection to a music school.