It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Post subject: Building a fanbase.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm 

Hi everyone,

This is an old and boring topic but since the point of the audio creations it to be heard by others, I want to get an advice on how do you getting attention to your work (in smart way of course). Im talking about starting level. Sometimes it seems that more or less established Indip artists were dope by default (which is not rue obviously). Its really hard to imagine people like young Knxwledge posting on reddit lol. Yeah I get all these tips, like commenting on songs and interact with other artists, its a hard thing with me because I can't just post some random comments, likes and handle this fakeness if Im not down with the vibe which happens not really often. Or posting to different flooded FB groups, usually is just a waist of time.

I would like to hear from your own experience which things really did work out for you and what was a bad move.

Here is a couple of questions to be clear:
1) What you usually do when you make a release? Do you submit it to channels on YT, like GodsConnect or small music labels?
2) What are a good websites, forums to share the work with the right audience/other producers other than Soundcloud?

3)Another thing is collaborating, how do you even approach an artist in a correct way (if he is bigger than you)?

Im kind of lost, feel like im going in circles where nobody fuks with you until everybody does. Would be really appreciated for any advise.

Have a happy New Year guys.

Peace,

Post subject: Re: Building a fanbase.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:13 pm 

How long have you been making music?

For me, the point of audio creations has absolutely NOTHING to do with wanting to be heard by others. I do it because I love it. Never been so passionate about something in my life, so I put my heart & soul into learning everything about it. & I have fun.

Once I was about 2 years in, I had the thought that it would be nice to share my music. Talking on forums someone asked me if they could hear my music, which got me to post something. It was nice getting feedback.

I started joining battles, which is a good way to be heard & gain respect.

I only post battle beats online & in like 5 months of just joining battles I had over 2,000 listens. That's with absolutely NO marketing. Just having fun with battles & learning my equipment. You will gain major skill & knowledge joining battles. You'll meet people to possibly collaborate with too.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Sharris wrote:

For me, the point of audio creations has absolutely NOTHING to do with wanting to be heard by others. I do it because I love it. Never been so passionate about something in my life, so I put my heart & soul into learning everything about it. & I have fun.

I started joining battles, which is a good way to be heard & gain respect.

This.

Words to live by,well said Sharris.

@The User.
I'd be interested in hearing your music,do you have any links to your stuff dude?

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm 

Been going through the process of figuring this out myself. Ive learned recently that videos are a major key; people like to see what your doing, they like seeing the person behind the art.

Interacting with other artist is important as well. All my collab work has come from a mutual appreciation of each others art. It'll be an artist I follow or they follow me and they comment that they like a beat of mine, then ill check them out and if I like it ill let it be known. Usually they respond with gratitude, then you can make your proposal (It works to do small projects, less time consuming and allows the other party to work on other things as well)

I completely feel you with the fakeness bit, im not a fan of making nice either, but if you're candid (which is a big part of an artist connecting with the audience) and let people know thats how you feel it'll be respected. Make sure you check out your peers work! don't be selfish haha, its noticeable and no one will want to support you.

GET ON COMPILATION TAPES PERIOD, checkout cozycollective, inserttapes, dustcollectors. Create a twitter and follow these accounts, there are many more out there as well, getting on compilations can expose you to new listeners. Gives you something for your resume etc. etc. etc.

"nobody fuks with you until everybody does" thats just something you have to accept when coming up, can't really change the nature of humans. Though it is a tough pill to swallow.

Get on IG and try to get reposts on lofi.hiphop Spbeatmakers etc.. if they think its dope they'll RP for free or you can pay(invest in yourself)

Don't be an Anon lol, how you gone build if no one knows who you are lol ? Introduce yourself :mrgreen:

https://soulchoppa.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 pm 

Sharris, thank you for the useful reply. Also, maybe I didn't explain my point clearly, I mean Im in it for the same reason as you and all of us who are true to the artform, but at the same I try to understand how to pass the sound around to get some attention and connect with likeminded people, period. Ive been in it for 3 years and started to post some music like a year ago and basically didn't move nowhere for now that's why I did this topic. I will defiantly be doing what I do in 10 years from now even with zero income or whatsoever. For me its just about getting better, and reaching others can result in some great art as well. I do a lot of research too, and sometimes feel that networking plays a decent role in moving forward.

Soulchoppa, thanks, I heard you music, dig your sounds! My old sp acc got lost so I did new one real quick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:47 am 

I completely understand, I was hoping that was the case (that you do it because you love it) :D

SoulChoppa had some great advice!

& I still say check out a battle here & there!

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 am 

Sharris wrote:
For me, the point of audio creations has absolutely NOTHING to do with wanting to be heard by others. I do it because I love it.

[applause]