It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:56 pm

Post subject: SP Balboa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:40 pm 

As a kid I was very inspired by the movie Rocky. For a while I was obsessed with working out, but as I grew up I grew outward and have been a gradually expanding fatass for a long while. Sometimes I get serious about my health and eat reasonably and exercise for a few days but then I inevitably lose the will, often using my art as an excuse. I can't tell you how many times I've told myself that I'll get my shit together once the album I'm working on is finished. I make the album my priority, partly so I don't feel guilty drinking and eating like a maniac. So that's how this SP Balboa idea came about. I realized that if the concept of the piece i'm working on is based on a story of an endurance training underdog fighter, that would provide extra motivation to practice what i'm preaching, so to speak.
As many of you know, there are 6 Rocky movies, the last of them titled Rocky Balboa, so it makes sense for SP Balboa to follow SP World 5. I was originally planning on compiling some choice tracks from all of the sp world albums for this tape. I asked the producers if they were ok with me having a small batch of tapes made to sell, and they were all cool with it. I feel a little guilty but I changed my mind about the project. I had a better idea, and I could use some help, if you guys would be so generous.
If you would flip this Rocky soundtrack, I would do my best to rock it, hopefully channeling the energy of my newfound willpower. Here's a link with track samples http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-30th-Annive ... ords=rocky
If you want to contribute, just post here or send me a message telling me which track you want to flip. I will edit this post to show which tracks have been claimed. So far the only one taken is "Going the Distance." I recommend buying the soundtrack since its amazing, but I can send the mp3 of your track if you don't want to cop it.

Rules:

You can use outside drums and bass but no synths.
No vocal cuts, since I will find movie clips that relate to the songs.
Try to make it a full track, no shorter than 2 minutes, since there are only 13 songs to flip.

If it turns out great, I will have 100 tapes made. They will be selling on bandcamp, but I would gladly send free copies to any domestic producers involved. The digital download will be free for all.

I hope some of you are into it! If you're not feeling the concept or not a fan of my writing, please don't submit. It sucks sending back a collab and realizing that the other half probably doesn't care. Doesn't happen often though, around here. :)

Last edited by Chopperman on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: SP Balboa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:51 pm 

Great idea! Digging your lates tape. I wish I had more time to help out with this but I'm sure you will get a lot of offers.

Mickey: "The worst thing that happened to you, that can happen to any fighter: you got civilized."!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:02 pm 

Thanks man. Great quote. Definitely will be sampling some gems of Mickey.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:10 pm 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:28 pm 

well this is embarrassing :oops:
just kidding :lol:
its more like a blessing :)
i'm very happy :D

so far, just one homie hit me up for a track to flip. At first I was a little bummed but then I realized that it would be best if I handled this album on my own. Some of you may have thought the same, some of you may not have the time, some of you may think i'm a total shitbird.. whatever the reason, I'm thankful for the lack of response. I know its only been a few days, but I don't want to repeatedly bump this topic or go around hounding cats for beats to finish this. Flipping it myself will help keep me focused on the concept.

Much love to the SP fam.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:14 pm 

Man this is a really cool idea, can't wait to hear the results. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:37 pm 

Thank ya!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:49 pm 

Ahh man only just saw this post! You doing it alone now or you still looking for the collab thaaang?

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:58 pm 

I was going to do it alone but last night one of my favorite producers offered to make all the beats himself! and from the OST vinyl!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:02 pm 

but thanks Asha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm 

Niiice one!!! Look forward to gearing it!!!

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:13 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

I'm down. :)

Now that I got a feel for how you like to flow having heard you on a couple of beats of mine, I think I got a feel for what I can/should do that works best with your style...

Would love to join in if you'd have me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:31 pm 

a couple days ago I decided to make the album on my own instead of waiting for the beats, since only one person hit me up for a track to flip. But then later that night, one of the SP fam homies offered to produce the whole thing himself, and I excitedly agreed. Thanks anyways tho!