It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:37 am

Post subject: different decade
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:47 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Anyone ever wish they were brought back to a different decade just for the music. When I check out how things like woodstock vids, 60/70/80s music, ect.
Then I wonder how youngster will be thought of years from now. The generation that listened to 50cent, justin timberlake, and that anoying song about an umbrella. Will they be looked at as dumbasses or will it get worse.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:58 pm 

it will probably get worse...hopefully not...but mass intelectual improvement doesnt seem to be a trend 8)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 pm 
Awesome Member

definitely not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 pm 

i hear a lot of people saying things like this and in a sense i agree but when i look at the big picture i realise that we all are living in the greatest time in human history. think of all the advantages we have even in regards to musical equipment. the standard has gone way up. where i live if this was a different decade i know i wouldn't be making music.

there is also a lot of good music coming out at the moment, it's just it's lost in the sea of crap out there because it seems everybody is making music nowadays. there are a lot of dope net-labels that are putting out FREE music that is seriously crazy. and that covers all genres from punk to hip-hop to jazz to bosa nova. it's crazy big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:17 am 

Yeah, I wish I could go back to the 20's and drink shitty booze in a speak-easy while watching Jelly Roll Morton play.

Fads are fads - they come and they go - of course we're going to look back and laugh - and I'm sure that even the people who were a part of them will laugh at themselves and say "remember when I would say 'drop it like it's hot' with a straight face?"

It's just unfortunate that some of the most important music isn't really appreciated or discovered by the masses until 20-30 years after it was created -and then usually it is taken out of context-

Take jazz for example - it is truly one of the most revolutionary forms of art in history - yet now a days jazz is synonymous with easy listening office music.

But really,,,, this is the perfect decade for music in my opinion. The decade that I am aware and open minded. This is the decade it happened. The most important time for a piece of music is the moment that the artist is expressing it.

So that's why you're gonna find me at the dive bar listening to the shaggy college kid play his guitar upside down with metal gloves on his hands and not at the club sippin bub because the local DJ told me to.

I don't wanna find out about this shit later and say "Damn I wish I was there"

I'm gonna say,,, "HA I heard shit like that in 2008 from these cats on an internet forum,,, we fucked around with that style all the time on the SP"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:33 pm 

ey you guys heard pete rock new album (NY'S FINEST)??!
what y'all think bout that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:07 pm 

i would've loved to have gone to woodstock. i also would've loved to have seen the beatles. however, i have seen some pretty dope ass acts that i wouldn't trade for woodstock either so...
i guess it's just what you make it, eh...
i mean the beasties, REM, dylan (like eight times), dangermouse, rjd2, bjork, blind mississippi morris, chuck d, mike jones, fishbone, steve winwood, de la soul, sasha and digweed, paul oakenfeld, fatboy slim, phish, Jurasic 5, dj krush, grateful dead, counting crows, smashing pumpkins, biohazard, tori amos, mighty bosstones, joss stone(my wife's suggestion), etc, etc, etc....
i wouldn't trade those shows for nuthin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:21 pm 

I actually kind of wish I'd been around in the 1950's I love all those old 50's radios and stuff lol and I tend to listen to a lot of music from the 50's as well.

But, saying that, I think right now is a pretty exciting time to make music, the major record companies are dying on their arse and there's so many ways to make and record your own music now, and although it's more difficult to find that "fame and fortune" with your music now, I actually really enjoy sitting in my bedroom making little albums and stuff and making 5 copies to give to my friends or whatever, I think thats a great thing, 10 years ago a person like me wouldn't have been able to do that.

And sure the Cd shops are ghost towns now and they're not getting in anything but the really big selling stuff, which is shit, but with the likes of amazon or whatever, you can get practically any CD you want for fairly cheap, so to those of us who don't download and still buy CDs it's not as bad as it could be. And actually it has made me feel less guilty buying as much CDs as I do, because I know that their time could be limited and I want to have as many as I possibly can before it starts being a pain in the ass to find them...

Anyway, musically, I think right now is the time! Fuck all that pop shit, in 100 years it will be the truely good stuff that's gonna be remembered, thats how it has always been I guess.

Thanks for reading this far, if you have lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:21 pm 

Yo AUTOCHOPP, NY's Finest is a dope album!