It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post here when you get new gear
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:07 pm 

Casio XW-G1 groovesynth. My first synth ever plus a keyboard with
piano sounds and stuff for the whole family. Has a sample looper too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:40 am 

I need to get some stereo rca to 1/4 inch mono cables to use this properly with my SP-505, but I kind of was able to use what I had to listen to what can be done with using the MF-104M together. (But I have to be in sample mode). You can seriously do some things with the tone and shape of what you put in it. It can darken them up, in a way that reminds you of a filter, but kind of not. But it does force you to select a LFO. You can get interesting results depending on how fast you want it to repeat, and what LFO you select. My favorite is the sample/hold, because then it makes your beats go into glitch mode, because the envelopes would snap off a bit of the audio sometimes. I now need to get some more Moogerfoogers for more audio madness!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:57 am 

Something tells me this thread might get quite active in a day or so, can't think why though :-)

http://www.skinnyb.bandcamp.com

My podcast www.soundcloud.com/scratchthesurface-1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

plexxsounds wrote:

Casio XW-G1 groovesynth. My first synth ever plus a keyboard with
piano sounds and stuff for the whole family. Has a sample looper too.

never knew nothing about this one...i've heard some tutorial on youtube, and i didn't love how it sounded...how deep you can go on programming it on the rompler/synth side? also, how is it on the smpler/sequencer side? i know there is a step seq...no real time? fx?
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:58 pm 

Headphones wrote:

I need to get some stereo rca to 1/4 inch mono cables to use this properly with my SP-505, but I kind of was able to use what I had to listen to what can be done with using the MF-104M together. (But I have to be in sample mode). You can seriously do some things with the tone and shape of what you put in it. It can darken them up, in a way that reminds you of a filter, but kind of not. But it does force you to select a LFO. You can get interesting results depending on how fast you want it to repeat, and what LFO you select. My favorite is the sample/hold, because then it makes your beats go into glitch mode, because the envelopes would snap off a bit of the audio sometimes. I now need to get some more Moogerfoogers for more audio madness!!!

damn im jealous, id love to get this little guy for my setup, im kinda tired of usin the delay on the sp.. and im usin it quite extensively tbh.......

NEED MORE QUALITY ---- HI-FI POWER

orangina life/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:45 am 

ellaguru wrote:
never knew nothing about this one...i've heard some tutorial on youtube, and i didn't love how it sounded...how deep you can go on programming it on the rompler/synth side? also, how is it on the smpler/sequencer side? i know there is a step seq...no real time? fx?
thanks

Well..I don't know if I can answer your questions coz I haven't really gone deep into this machine AND it's my first one too. But I think you can go pretty deep with the monosynth and there is an Ipad app that let's you change parameters very easily. I've only used the sampler to resample the internal sounds, so I can have multiple monosynths playing at the same time. Seems like you could do a lot with this if you take the time to set it up the way you wan't it (performance mode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:11 pm 

I've got a few new goodies over the last month. I haven't bought any new gear in years since everything new released has been underwhelming IMO.

I recently just got another Korg ESX. I sold my first one years ago and missed it ever since.

I also picked up a mint casio sk5 at goodwill last week too. 8bit sample madness!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:31 pm 

since a few weeks i'm happy owner of my first midi controller, love this little boxe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:14 am 

formal wrote:
haven't bought any new gear in years since everything new released has been underwhelming IMO.

just curious what pieces in particular have you been underwhelmed by?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 pm 

I'm not a fan of the computer + hardware duo. Akai has gone this way, along with Native instruments. Roland hasn't been very innovative on the sampler/groovebox/workstation front. Korg keeps making cheap handheld stuff (which is good) but not really my cup of tea. The market is flooded with tons of USB midi controllers. People buy them for hundreds of dollars and sell them a year or two later dirt cheap. On the software front everything is getting more bloated requiring tons of GB of hard drive space and needs a 1000 page manual since they just keep piling on more and more features. I'm not real sure what I'm looking for, but when it comes out I will be waiting!

Post subject: korg, akai, ni...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 pm 

interesting you mention those ones specifically, as i've been considering maschine mikro, mpc element and volca keys. i see guys like gaslamp and el-p rocking maschine and start thinking this is where everyone is going, but then evidence says he's tired of reason and back on the asr and 2000xl. at the end of the day sp heads want less constriction to computers while the rest of the world is going more in the box.
might have to go look for an esx myself...

Post subject: Re: korg, akai, ni...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 pm 

yo-yo crunch wrote:
interesting you mention those ones specifically, as i've been considering maschine mikro, mpc element and volca keys. i see guys like gaslamp and el-p rocking maschine and start thinking this is where everyone is going, but then evidence says he's tired of reason and back on the asr and 2000xl. at the end of the day sp heads want less constriction to computers while the rest of the world is going more in the box.
might have to go look for an esx myself...

I picked up the mikro recently. I love my SX, but I really need some visuals when I do serious slicing and chopping. Doing it by ear is admirable, but tedious as hell, IMO. The downside to the mikro is that everything is buried in menus because of the single controller knob - but as far as I can tell, you can do everything on the hardware, no need to use a mouse or keyboard if you don't want to.

It was 399, so I thought it would be good to save the extra 200 for the bigger hardware - kind of wish I had the bigger one, much faster workflow based on the vids I've watched.

Also, the new software, 2.0, comes with 8GB of samples efx and sounds - which is WAY more than I will ever need or use. It's fun to browse, but I've already tagged about 25 sounds that I really thought I could use.

SX forces you to get creative when it comes to getting the right sounds for your project, also forces you to be somewhat conservative, meaning you need to think about things a bit more, as opposed to having a world of sounds at your fingertips - tempting, but not satisfying unless you can actually use them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 am 

[img]
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/image ... _zx100.png
[/img]

got these, finally first pair of decent headphones in many many years.

the reason I held on to my closed back KOSS.com headphones is they lasted so long, they were big and a little better than other budget headphones. I realized the ear buds are awfull for monitoring anything and yyour mix will just be a bunch of lows with a teeny bit of mids and highs poking thru. so the ear buds are only good for turning down spikes and drums.

one thing that worries me a little about these sony's is, I'm listening to
some of my old 'bad mixes' on my mp3 recorder and they fuckin all sound great. so maybe im too hard on my self about perfection. eventually I will cut the rumble out of all my stuff, but till then I need to keep calm and focused,

one way I found to micro manage work flow is simply make a list.

dig,
master,
rewrite riffs,
tune/ eq drums / reprogram drums,
ect ect.

then when you hit the wall, just go to your list and start something else.

woohoo.

Attachments:
sony_mdr_zx100.png
sony_mdr_zx100.png [ 116 KiB | Viewed 6079 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm 

Papa got some brand new pads 8)

Attachments:
sp pads.jpg
sp pads.jpg [ 36.45 KiB | Viewed 6020 times ]
 Post subject: Korg D16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:08 pm 

A buddy of mine loaned me his Korg D16 for awhile , he said you know ur gonna want to keep it. My plan was to use it mainly as a mixer, which is what I am doing now. My impression, its very plastic and cheap feeling, all the knobs extremely loose, fades wobbly, fader knobs if you hold it upside down half of them fall off. The gain knobs that are recessed in the top front suck as do the wobble gain knobs in the back which all need to be replaced. On channel 4 Korg Quality Control must have missed that there was no capacitor , so I solder a new one in and got that working and I am currently trying to find the gain pots for channels 5 thru 8.

That was the bad, the good is the effects are sweet and you can do 2 fx on each channel plus EQ. The touch screen threw me off as I have never really used one before but its ok and it works fine for a mixer, but there is no mic pre amp so a mic sounds kinda low, I mean you can crank it up with the gain but I can tell it needs a pre amp added to it. I still plan to get a either an audio interface or a usb mixer. At least when I give it back to my buddy it will be in better shape than when he lent it to me. Oh I even built a holder for it so it can basically be mounted anywhere

Attachment:
d16.jpg
d16.jpg [ 55.2 KiB | Viewed 5999 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next