It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:31 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

2500 has same internals as the 1000 has. what makes me puke is that akai makes it almost a grand heavier because of the full sized pads, cd drive, 2 knobs, and a few more i/o stuff.

basically it is the same as the 1000 with better os. but the funniest part is that with jjos (especially the the jjos2 that is currently in development) i have the same features in more smaller box and lower cost. nahmean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:56 pm 

If you're gonna pay through the nose for an MPC (the cheapest one [500]is about $1500 in Oz) you might as well go the extra $700 ($500 us) and get the 'proper' one... I mean' it's the pads that made them famous after all - so why skimp? Oh well, one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:30 am 

what's the 'proper' one? the 4000?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:58 am 

2500 and up, imo. They are in the MV range then, with features to match; thus really earning the Music Production Centre tag. Really, though, the whole concept is getting a bit outdated, with what computer software can do now. It's getting hard to see the need for these overpriced behemoths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 am 

it is getting to the point of obseletion in a way: now you can get padkontrol and program your pc to do whatevr you want it to do with the right soft.

by the way, maybe the 2500 and up comment was meant a different way but don't forget it started with the 60. plus the 1000 can do as much as the 2500 (and more) these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:23 pm 

yeah prob a bit off what I meant - I really mean build quality and feel, so the 60, 3000, 2000 are also prob OK in that dept - the 500 is absolute crap, and in my limited experience with a 1000 I've already smashed a set of pads! Plus the Q-Link on the 1000 I used was dodgey as. The 2500 is much heavier and stronger. I'm pretty rough with gear - especially when gigging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:58 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

jbl wrote:
it is getting to the point of obseletion in a way: now you can get padkontrol and program your pc to do whatevr you want it to do with the right soft.

Very true, but there should be quite an emphasis on "with the right soft"... in practice it means buying more than just one high-end software package adding up to quite some money and then some programs might not work flawlessly with both your MIDI controller and MPCs or SPs.

In terms of features and options, software definitely has the edge and is still gaining turf. I think most software emulations of pure hardware features are at least 'good enough' compared to the real deal and it's not a bad deal getting all the fancy effects and features for a price anywhere between 200$ and 1000$.

But .... I'd still rather have at least an MV-8800 or MPC2500 / MPC5000 or whatever other SP or MPC I can afford, instead of just a Padkontrol with software.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:19 pm 

I own both. The MPC1000 and the SP 404 are both great machines. They do what they are supposed to and maybe a lil more if you get creative. I agree with whoever said that Noobs buy a 404 and sell it cause they don't know how to use it.

The main point comes down to: Are you more of a musician or a programmer????

If a musician is more your style, the 404 will take you more places than imaginable, if you let it.

If you don't want to waste time on listening to your chops and figuring out how to make your songs arrange well and all that other stuff, MPC is more you.

I am more of a musician, so I am way more creative on the 404. I like the fact that the 404 is battery powered so wherever inspiration strikes, out comes the 404.

The MPC does have a rock solid sequencer and a lot of other good features. I am not trying to knock it, but my "musician" personality Makes the 404 a better choice for me. Plus I don't like the fact that I have to sink more money into it for a HD or the better OS, when I just dropped 1K on the damn thing. I also don't like looking at the screen all the time to make things going right. I barely use reason and pro tools because I can't stand looking at the screen for a long time. I just wanna groove.

Twice I bought the MPC and Twice I am selling it. If anyone wants to maybe buy it hit me up. It still has the man. warranty on it and I bought another 2 yr warranty. I still have the receipt to go with it as well.

and if you saw the paint on my face and the brain cells is like palendrome. hard to say

www.myspace.com/djbeanfunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:28 pm 

Now if only the 404 could control using midi..........Euphoria !

and if you saw the paint on my face and the brain cells is like palendrome. hard to say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:37 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah, they should've added midi out on these boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:26 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

jbl wrote:
just a little off topic; why the hell is the mpd 16 cheaper than the rplacement pads for the mpc1k.

Because the replacement pads are actually worth money? ;)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:46 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Korg Pad Kontrol FTW. From what I hear people making all styles of beat based music enjoy the features and pad response. I wish I had one :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 am 
Awesome Member

Like butta baby... like butta. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:37 am 

i like what beanz711 said about the two, maybe that better explains why i sold my mpc (and haven't looked back). and yeah the padkontrol is nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:26 am 

Thats what it is. Musical or Technical. I got an mpc 1000 for sale if anyones interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next