It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:04 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:43 am 

I'm on the verge of putting my MPC1K on the auction block. I much prefer the simplicity and immediacy of the 303. For me, it's a lot more interesting. Think I might have to snag a 202 or a Sampletrak with some of the left over funds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:13 am 

The prob is that a lot of people (not even newbies) want to get the most expensive products on the market because all the "pros" use em. I can't stand that : which should I buy? or "this vs this" or That Vs That? I read them all the time and you never get an answer. It all about personal preference and personal style.

What suits you, what your more comfortable with, & most importantly what are you more creative with.

The MPC is a beast in it's own right, but when I got my 404, it was my match, my soul mate. haha. I was just more creative with it. And the only way you are going to find out which is for you is by going to a store or a friends house and playing with them. Or if you got cash buy em and return the one you don't want. Or keep em both if they both work for you or they work together.

The only time a question should be asked about an item is if someone's got something you have been thinking about purchasing and asking questions about it.

Don't get me wrong I got some high end stuff, but that is what works for me and the rest of my equipment. If it don't all flow together then I can't flow. I know kids who buy all this crazy sh*t to look cool and pretend they big time, But when they push play, their stuff sounds garbage.

All this actually made me think of something, but i'll post a new thread.

Do Music
Do You
Music is Love

Beanz

and if you saw the paint on my face and the brain cells is like palendrome. hard to say

www.myspace.com/djbeanfunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:24 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

i've got an mpc 2500 w/ jjos. it's the shit. the 404 was my first sampler but i got the mpc soon after and pushed it aside. one day i dusted of my sp and found this forum, read every post on the site and now i'm hooked. i still use my mpc for sequencing (you can copy patterns and chop ((in my opinion)) more efficiently, and the pads i think are more responsive) but my sounds are ALWAYS created in the 404. i've got them synched together for tempo purposes (delay measurements, etc.) and i can't imagine anything else i need. To me there are not too many things as enjoyable as getting stoned and resampling into oblivion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:58 am 

i havent read all four pages of this monsterous topic. but heres my 2:
in my opinion. the mpc range seems increadable...a lot of good has came from them (including the 1000)...it would be quite arrogent (for want of a better word) to think not; premier and dilla come to mind as those who have used it to make great music.
BUT.
just because alot of great beats have come from the mpc, doesnt mean the sp range cant do the same. madlib for example comes to mind (using big names just to illustrate my point!).
and although it truely is the artist not he equipment, each machine, in my opinion, does give a differant style and sound. i mean, you could potentially immitate mpc style beats on a 404 and vice versa. but u just dont. the differant work flow, features, and capabilties chanel your creativity into differant forms....so i generally can tell an sp beat from a mpc.
which, my point being, its up to you on what u want to acheive. Do you dig 'traditional' sample based hiphop? the likes of pete rock or premier? or into the grittier, rawer style of the sp's (a classic example being madvillain or quas' stuff, or anythin you hear the members of this forum create)? im not calling any one better then the other. just saying i do tink there is a difference...and this might be something you should consider when u finally purchuse a sampler.
neither is better then the other. they're just differant. thats all.
//bill. thanks for listening :D

A lot of people never use their initiative because nobody told them to.
-Banksy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:01 pm 
Awesome Member

Spacey wrote:
To me there are not too many things as enjoyable as getting stoned and resampling into oblivion.
Amen to that. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Mpc's are great at making music, you just have to invest a little more time and thought into setting up. On the other hand you can pick up an sp with no samples loaded yet and within 20mins have sampled drums/sounds and a sequence layed out and effects added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:45 pm 

true story

and if you saw the paint on my face and the brain cells is like palendrome. hard to say

www.myspace.com/djbeanfunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:28 am 

Spacey wrote:
To me there are not too many things as enjoyable as getting stoned and resampling into oblivion.

shhh! you're giving away my secret production techniques!!

:mrgreen: