It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:29 am

Post subject: relying on weed for music?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:45 am 

i know a lot of peeps who make music here also smoke the herb and obviously while you make music and shit. well i've always been like that. i blaze up make some beats and then i scratch over them and then i make some more beats and do some more scratching, smoke some more and the cycle continues....

anyway i haven't been able to get any weed for a while now because of a "drought" (basically we live away from the cities and in our town only a few guys are dealing and when they run dry all that's left is coke which i personally hate). so for the past 2 weeks i've been going through a major creative block.

where i live everybody drinks and gets stupid drunk all the time but that was never really my thing so when i was introduced to the sweet smoke it was like a god send. i am totally in love with smoking, wheter it be cigarettes or MJ. i have a whole god damn stand up routine and various essays centred around the whole subject. i love smoking.

and now i've been doing everything to get me back in that "zone". i've been taking valium but that just puts me in a different mood and when i get drunk im just super sloppy.

i remember this happened before when i used to purely scratch. when i used to take shrooms it was unreal. it was like being on fire everytime i touched the decks.

so im wondering does anybody here kind of rely on substances in order to get them in the music making mood?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:54 am 

smoking weed helps alot, but i've got into some mad zones without it too

sometimes when i'm making a beat i'll start straight, then smoke later into the process...things tend to get a lot groovier

there's been a drought here too in Melbourne, usually is in summer :(

shrooms are great, but more for inspiration/bright ideas than sitting down and banging out a beat. i've had some great live jams using the effects on the 404 on shrooms though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 am 

I find that getting stoned makes me *think* I'm making heat - then comes the next day and that whole "what the fuuuuuck was I thinking?!?!" lol

I find bikkies to be fun for making tunes to - but again, not a lot of good stuff comes from it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:49 am 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

The HERB is def a creative enhancer but only when used wisely!Try doin some meditation or go out into nature, while your in the dry spell.LORD BEATJITZU loves the weed but he only smokes it once a week!I usally by a gram once a month no joke!If you get hi everytime you make beats you gonna burn out try to balance it out!fuck the alchohol and the pills weed is all you need!You can make heat with it and with out it!I know I do lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:55 am 

I dunno, multitoxicity FTW! j/k :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:07 am 

Lord Beatjitzu speaks truth...i've gotta cut my habit down and start appreciating the herb more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:19 am 

Drewzle wrote:
Lord Beatjitzu speaks truth...i've gotta cut my habit down and start appreciating the herb more

When Victorians say we are gonna cut down we are usually in the process of chopping up. :shock:

You're chopping up right now aren't you. Thought so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:29 am 

haha, caught in the act
chopping up both a mix, and some samples

606man, you should give Battle 12 a try. i won #11 (yay!) and got to pick some samples:
viewtopic.php?t=1423

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:01 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I definitely enjoy making some music after smoking, but I make a lot of different types of art besides music in a day so I usually can use one to inspire the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:07 am 

Be careful man...

When you need it and when you prefer it are two different things.
I smoke A LOT. Really, I mean a whole lot. My friend has been growing weed for about 7 years now, so I get it for less then have of the real price.

When I'm sitting here blazing I love making music, but there is no problem in creating music without weed.

Some days or even weeks you will have a dry spell, weed won't help you with that. All artist need breaks from what they do.

I have a great output, about 15-20 tracks a day and then, one or 2 days in the month I'm not even doing one track.

Get something to get your mind of the music and do that for a while. Then come back and rock the sp again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:19 pm 

I've never been into weed, tried it a few times, was never blown away. Used to take a shitload of valium and other painkillers, and get drunk every night, but that was when i was going through some bad times, I was just looking for an escape not somethin to help me creatively. If i had to rely on anything other than my own imagination to make music, art or anything creative, I'd feel like I'd failed.

I don't think people shouldn't do drugs or whatever, but I DO think it should never become something you're dependent on in order to create. A lot of overrated, boring, crappy music has been made on drugs and I personally, would just hate to add to that. Once you let the drugs do the creating, you lose that great feeling that you were able to make something incredible from scratch on nothing but ur own imagination and emotion. And i think thats a really sad thing to lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:15 pm 

i love smoking weed during the creative process...smoking weed helps a lot...ill samples, dope drums, Sp 404, beer and bag of weed...that's all i need :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:53 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

hey sauce, if yr used to the mj and are now trying to work w/out it, its gonna take a bit for things to shift (ie: dry spell, creatively). obviously, there's creativity on the other side too. just takes some time to get there, y'know?

in similar circumstances, i've enjoyed creating w/ different stimulus: getting outta bed and before i do anyfing i start creating; going several days without sleep, then creating; watching documentaries about music (esp. music nothing like what i make) then creating; deliberately not letting myself near my gear for a week, then creating; staying in a room for (ideally) 24 hours, trying to make 24 tracks without stopping; not touching the gear but making a TON of notes on what i wanna do, then creating; reading boox about other peep's creative process, then creating; messing around with an instrument i donno how ot play, then sampling it....

love the jays, obvs, but i found you can kickstart the inspiration if you wanna. you feel me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:24 pm 

Drewzle wrote:
sometimes when i'm making a beat i'll start straight, then smoke later into the process...things tend to get a lot groovier

That's how I always do it. If I'm high when I start, the whole process is real slow and I try to fuck with too many effects.

One 'substance' I may rely on is yerba mate. What ch'all know about that? I drink it every day and its positive effects are really widespread, and it is especially conducive to making music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:04 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I drink Mate too, also a lot of green tea and kombucha.