It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 am

Post subject: equip upgrade?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:45 pm 

i need a little advice from you guys.

as for now i have 404 + pt-01 and i'd like to add something more to this.
here is what i have on my 'list':
1. Multitrack (FOSTEX MR-8 MkII or TASCAM DP-02 CF or ZOOM MRS-8SD or BOSS BR-600)
2. MIDI Keyboard/Synth (MicroKORG seems good)
3. Monitors (no idea. any suggestions? :P)

And here come the questions :D:
- is it good idea to buy multitrack? i mean i was sure i'm gonna get one but i've read 606 manual and find out you can sequence patterns there so i'm little confused - get multi or save money for some more advanced sampler ?
- what can i do on synth? it may sounds ignorant but i have never used any. can i get any sound i want out of it?

If you have any other suggestions - post it! I'd be happy to spend my heavily earned money on the right thing:wink:

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:44 pm 

ok first of all i will say this. what extra stuff do you need or feel you would want to add to your setup??

i would advise against fostex and zoom personally as they make cheap products.
when it comes to synths the microkorg is good but i really dig my micron for my style of production. those are basically the 2 major synths in that price range. the thing i like about the micron is that the bass sounds are nice. some people find it hard to program but once you get the hang of it by reading the manual it's good. it also has a sequencer so you can make patterns and i find it works well for my style of production. i was thinking of buying another synth but i think i'll just add more FX pedals to the micron for creating basslines.

as far as monitors that really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Post subject: Re: equip upgrade?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:25 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Quote:
1. Multitrack (FOSTEX MR-8 MkII or TASCAM DP-02 CF or ZOOM MRS-8SD or BOSS BR-600)

I got the boss br 600. very good machine- I only wish it had a midi sync. But you can still get your tracks in sync manually.

Quote:
2. MIDI Keyboard/Synth (MicroKORG seems good)

I've heard a lot of good things about the micro korg, never used one though

Quote:
3. Monitors (no idea. any suggestions? :P)

I never understood the need for monitors. Just know your regular speakers well, also try playing it in a car and cheap boom box. If it sounds clear on different systems then its good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

MicroKorg is great, it's definitely the best synth for the cheapest price. It's not the most rigidly build device ever and it is a tad cheap when it comes to the materials used, but the sound you get is plain awesome. Plenty of effect stuff and other settings to mess around with too to get a more unique sound.

So far I wouldn't want a different synth.

One negative thing though, especially without a better microphone than the one that comes with it, you really don't want to buy a MicroKorg just because it has a vocoder. The vocoder quality is acceptable, but for only just a little more money there's a lot better you can get. For example the Korg R3.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:59 pm 

thanks for feedback.

Quote:
ok first of all i will say this. what extra stuff do you need or feel you would want to add to your setup??

for sure some synth would be good, i'm gonna look closer at the micron. some multitrack or more advanced sampler, if multi then br-600, if sampler maybe 606. i have to think over this one.

as to the monitors all i really want is they don't boost/eliminate lows, mids or highs.

Quote:
I never understood the need for monitors. Just know your regular speakers well, also try playing it in a car and cheap boom box. If it sounds clear on different systems then its good.

yeah, that's right but my regular speakrs are old and plastic and you can test tracks on them but making music isn't much fun.

brighten me on this:
- can i use Microkorg/Micron only as a MIDI keyboard?
- if i get it right from the manual it's possible to do mastering and final mix inside br-600 right?

Thanks for reading and taking time to answer.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:26 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

lobuz wrote:
if i get it right from the manual it's possible to do mastering and final mix inside br-600 right?

yeah that is what the br600 is designed for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:15 pm 

monitors can be used for mixing just make sure you get ones that give a flat response.

i would also advise you into looking into the micron because i personally love mine. but it depends what sort of "sound" you're after.
what sort of music are you into making?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:46 pm 
Awesome Member

i'd take the r3 over the microkorg. no tiny keys and i think it sounds better. course i'd take the moog little phatty over em both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I guess you just got money like that then. But for people who are Bill Gates, the microkorg is off the hook for the sounds, as far as the keysize it doesn't matter at all since this isn't a piano it's asynth with and arp so most of the time you'll be playing the keys like pads to the beat. The micron is super fly to, I just got the microkorg because I like the sounds and all the parameters are printed on the front which i find usefull, but the micron has a sequencer which the micorkorg doesn't. They can both be used as midi controllers with any hardware or software you have usinga midi cable. If you have money though get a moog, the sound from those things is amazing.