It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:15 pm

Post subject: Help me with this decision!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:19 pm 

Man where do I start?
I'm usually out of money. With that said, I was just givin' 500 bucks totally out of the blue.

I always wanted one...

Talking 'bout the 400 bucks microKORG. I know madlib has one and I think I can hear it in some of his basslines and all. I still don't know if I should just go and get one.
Will it help me with my music? Will it be worth 400 bucks or should I save the 500 bucks?

Is anybody here using a microKORG?
Tell me about them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:22 pm 

send the $500 to me, j/k! i don't know too much about them myself either but i did play around w/one @ guitar center, it's pretty dope... i want to get one myself, you can get some pretty nice fat basslines from them & some other stuff... what are you trying to get out of them? see if you can get a used one... i know i've seen some go for $250, i don't think that i would pay full price for them... anybody else on here know what's an alternative to the microkorg or something better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:30 pm 

i have the alesis micron.
probably the main alternative to the microkorg.

i spent ages wondering which one to get.
i eventually settled on the micron though as i just found that it suited me better.
read reviews on both.

i'm currently using my micron and i run it through various pedals and i do basslines on it.
it's really nice for bass sounds IMO.

but it's more to do with what style you have.
the microkorg is more of a classic style hip-hop sound wheras the micron is more electronic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:32 pm 

if you know how to program our own synth sounds go out and do youself a favour, get that fucking microkorg! its a killer machine!

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 pm 

My style is kinda' raw. Old school shit from the 90s.

Get an idea here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

I'm concerned that the microkorg sound willl be to clean to suit me :O?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:30 pm 

I say get one for sure. As Kristofer said, it's a killer machine. Even if you don't know anything about editing synth patches, the microkorg is easy to learn on (it was for me anyways). I didn't know shit about synth programming, but the manual is great, and after a few hours on it, I'm comfortable with editing my own patches, and I can now have a basic sound idea in my head and get pretty close to making that sound... It just takes time and practice

Also, as far as it being "too clean", I understand what you are saying, but to get around the "clean" feeling I run it through various guitar pedals, and I also sample it into my 202 on lo fi, and that dirties it right up.

Also, for anyone using it right now, do you ever run anything through the vocoder besides your actual voice? A few weeks back I was like "what happens if I run a drum loop through the vocoder?" I made a real simple drum loop, then played it through the vocoder. I had to fuck with the filters and a few other things to get a good sounds, but it made my drums sound dope! The SOUND of the kicks and snares was great (the levels a bit shakey). If you're going to keep the drums as a loop after running through the vocoder, you'll need to compress them to get the kick to come out more, but you can always just run drum sounds through it, then chop them up and normalize/layer accordingly. But for real, if you have a microkorg and you've never used anything besides vocals through the vocoder, try running some drums or even samples through that thing. The possibilities are endless. I've spent the last few weeks just running shit loads of snares and kicks through it at different settings, and assembling huge amounts of one shot drum sounds. I've been going MPC to vocoder to SP202 then abck to MPC and sometimes repeat, and them drums is gritty and banging!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I'm going to buy one eventually, it's something I know I'll use a lot and love to play with my Sp-303.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:29 pm 

Dr. Tad Winslow wrote:
I've spent the last few weeks just running shit loads of snares and kicks through it at different settings, and assembling huge amounts of one shot drum sounds.

viewforum.php?f=14 :wink:

have you tried scratching vinyl through the vocoder, with the turntable signal as modulator? i've always wondered what that would be like with a dirty industrial pad as carrier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:48 pm 

Drewzle wrote:
Dr. Tad Winslow wrote:
I've spent the last few weeks just running shit loads of snares and kicks through it at different settings, and assembling huge amounts of one shot drum sounds.

viewforum.php?f=14 :wink:

have you tried scratching vinyl through the vocoder, with the turntable signal as modulator? i've always wondered what that would be like with a dirty industrial pad as carrier

haha, yeah man. I am only online at work, where I can not upload/download anything. One of these days I'll get around to posting up some of my beats made with just my 202, and also share some drum sounds as I've got dozens and dozens of one shots and drum loops I've made. This past weekend I was taking one shot drums off of a shitty Yamaha keyboard, making a loop in my MPC, and then trying to make it sound like a break off a record using vinyl crackle samples and the vocoder on my korg and my 202. I was really happy with my results.

I have never tried scratching through the vocoder, because I only have a belt drive table for sampling purposes. I don't want to scratch with it because I'm afraid it will break. I have a few friends who DJ so when I need cuts I just call them up. I have a feeling you could do some ill shit with that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:57 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I have a belt drive turntable and I've done some scratching on it, it's just hard and doesn't always give the best results but it shouldn't break your table. Plus a even a little scratch noise through the vocoder and recorded with the 404 with more effects should go a long way, you could probably make your own synth with the wave forms you get then put them in the 404 in chromatic order and play them with the microkorg to your beats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 pm 

word, I should have said I don't want to break my needle. Last time I tried scratching with my table I broke my needle. I don't have cash for a new one right now. Also, I don't have a 404, only a 202. Y'all got me really want to try this out though so I'm going to bring my Korg and 202 over to my buddies house I think. He's got some nice Technics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:34 pm 

Dr. Tad Winslow wrote:
word, I should have said I don't want to break my needle. Last time I tried scratching with my table I broke my needle. I don't have cash for a new one right now. Also, I don't have a 404, only a 202. Y'all got me really want to try this out though so I'm going to bring my Korg and 202 over to my buddies house I think. He's got some nice Technics.

Needles start at 17 bucks dog'. I got the 17 bucks numark needle and it does the job. Scratching, sampling, digitalizing and other shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:43 pm 

haha, yeah man, I'm well aware of how much needles cost. It's monday. I don't get paid until Friday. I've broken a needle trying to scratch in the past, ergo I ain't going to try it again. I treat my gear like they were my children, with lots of love and respect. My belt drive turntable was built for listening to records, not scratching them, so I'll stick to listening to/sampling from records on it... Thanks for the support though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:06 pm 

The Korg R3 replaces the microKorg and has a waaaaaay better vocoder (as well as the Radias synth engine!!)

http://www.korg.com/service/press_txt.asp?PRID=220

much much better choice than the micro.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:12 pm 

606man wrote:
The Korg R3 replaces the microKorg and has a waaaaaay better vocoder (as well as the Radias synth engine!!)

http://www.korg.com/service/press_txt.asp?PRID=220

much much better choice than the micro.. :wink:

Yes, the R3 looks dope, but it's also more expensive. It goes for like $600-$650. I got my microkorg brand new at guitar center after talking the dude down to $350.