It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 am

Post subject: Re: about "Knxwledge" sound!!
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:01 pm 

to me it seems like there are no out of the ordinary techniques and its not a special combo of equipment its just talent and samples

his style reminds me of Ackryte too and i think they both have a looseness in the way they combine the drums and samples and they make good use of inventive, awkward chops

just work at your own thing by experimenting and thinking hard about the processes you go through and then hopefully you wont sound like him at all... or anybody else for that matter

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 pm 

He drinks raw eggs.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:24 am 

I'd say his style is defined by compression and creative timing with his samples/melodies. I'm not a fan of the over-compressed stuff as I like music with dynamics so out of all the tracks on his SC I probably like 9 or 10 of them.....most of it is just too compressed for me and I really don't care for his most recent stuff. At the same time, I do draw a lot of inspiration from Knx, not so much his sound specifically but his timing and the way he "thinks outside the box". To the OP, I think it's great you love his style but don't take it so far that you want to sound just like him,...there are a ton of people on SC already trying to do this...but I would advise to listen to him, glean a few things and take what you glean and make it your own thing. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:33 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

copy me, I make gould beats! If you want interesting chops it's so fucking simple/// just on the beats of the original sample ie<on the kick and snare and don't time stretch it just play it rhythmically to you beat..compress to sound like garbage and your done. People really can't figure this stuff out, do you people actually try things on your sample before you here it as a developed style/ I may be one of the laziest people in the world, but creativity has never escaped me/ :mrgreen:
You can also sample open sounds with this technique like string swells and piano melodies and sloppy or quick chops make this sound more interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:45 pm 

the only thing I wonder is how the hell does he work with the ableton slice to midi and the warp markers. Im fuckin around with live 9 for a while now and all i can say is the shit is real time consuming. you gotta flatten/freeze your warped sample then you gotta slice em to midi without being able to play the slices to the end of the entire sample.

anybody got tips/tuts on how to work with ableton and just quickly chop up shit?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:53 am 

iv been using ableton for a while now actually just recently started using the 404. um so for slicing samples if your not a fan of the slice to drum rack feature witch is in my opinion by far the quickest way
you can use the "simpler " instrument that comes within ableton live

1. open a track with simpler and one with a empty drum rack

2.drag your wav file that you want to slice up into simpler

3. assign the start and end points to two different knobs on your midi controller

slide the start and end thru the waveform until you find a chop you want to use then simply copy the entire simpler into a empty pad on your drum rack track. this will automatically save the start and end point s you had set so when you start looking for another chop you have that initial chop saved to the drum rack.

4. repeat this process until you have all the chops you want on filling up a drum rack allowing you to trigger them in a mpc or sp fashion.

essentially all you did was copy mad versions of the same wav file with different start and end points to trigger in the drum rack

but to be honest you should probably just use the slice to drum rack feature since it does all of that for u beside the fact that it chooses the chops based on beats like every 1/4 or 1/8 so on and so forth.

p.s if you dont have a midi controller "slice to drum rack" is your only viable option my guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:13 pm 

I've foud an easier way to do this with The 'Four Tet' method.

Just place 1 warp marker in an audio file and then 'slice to midi'. After that you have the sample on one pad in a drum rack.
Next you just adjust start/end points and ctrl-drag (duplicate) the pad onto the next empty pad.

now just readjust the start/end point as preferred (find the next chop!) on the new pad and repeat the same procedure.

choke the pads and add some settings to the macro buttons for extra control.

Such as start/end point and transcend, adsr.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:04 am 

Kalaba wrote:
I've foud an easier way to do this with The 'Four Tet' method.

Just place 1 warp marker in an audio file and then 'slice to midi'. After that you have the sample on one pad in a drum rack.
Next you just adjust start/end points and ctrl-drag (duplicate) the pad onto the next empty pad.

now just readjust the start/end point as preferred (find the next chop!) on the new pad and repeat the same procedure.

choke the pads and add some settings to the macro buttons for extra control.

Such as start/end point and transcend, adsr.

fuk....nevr thought about tht lol
now i am doing this forever

Last edited by BUTAFLI on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:31 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

Mad Evil Science wrote:
I like to take the smack it up, flip it, rub it down approach

+1