It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

Post subject: Just an Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:58 pm 

Hi SP-Forum-ites!

I recently joined this forum and just wanted to say hello to all the cool cats here. This is easily one of the friendliest, most supportive forums I've come across in a while. Very excellent. I've had a lot of fun listening to you guys' music (a lot of weird talent here, much better than the usual bunch of kids trying to write "street bangers") I'm a big fan of the Dr. Sample line, I used a 303 for years, recently bought a 404 (well, months ago, actually). I'm a scratch DJ, so I use the SP as part of my larger live rig:

2 Turntables, 1 CDJ -> Mixer -> Boss DD-20 (and everything passes through)-> SP-404 -> the venue's PA.

I'm one part of a "band", called Hosey, we've got a live bassist who plays through his own assortment of FX pedals. The music is primarily sample-based, except for the basslines, and is pretty heavily aimed at live performance. Traditionally, I used the SP as more of playback device/FX processor, with some one hits to throw over the beat, then I just used my turntables/CDJ to make some noise. Lately, for about the last year (since I've gotten a 24-bit soundcard with stereo inputs) I've been using the 404 as a much more integral part of composing a track. Chopping samples to pads so I can play them back, rather than "programming" the chops in a sound editor. But even better, our newer stuff (which we haven't even finished writing) uses the 404 in a full on live performance aspect, which I get the feeling you guys are all about :) I know I'm really excited about it, plus it's always nice to realize you can still write some new music.

So anyway, I'd love for you guys to check out some music. We've got 3 tracks posted at our blog, located here. You can launch them from the mp3 player on the page, or they're free for download. Any comments about the mix (Is the bass too loud? Is the mix just abrasive?) are appreciated. Any questions about how I might be using the SP at any particular spot are welcome as well. Here's the full on link if you need it:

http://hosey.terapad.com

Oh yeah, if any of you guys have some scratching ideas you want to implement, I'd love to help any way possible. Send me tracks, I'll do what you need me to, or just helping someone get started scratching; it's all good to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:33 pm 

Welcome 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:09 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Nice music, I sure you'll have fun here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:00 pm 

Thanks guys! I'm already having a lot of fun. Hopefully we can keep this forum growing. The more SP heads the better if you ask me.