It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

Post subject: New Methods
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:33 am 

Hi Guys,

I haven't been on here for a while, some people might remember me from the Arena. Thought I would post up a recent playlist of my tracks. My trusty SP808 started to be not so trusty and I kept loosing my work even with new discs, drives etc. I Bit the bullet and started using Cubase along with my SP and a few bits of hardware, it has taken a while but I am starting to get my workflow back. When you have some listening time check it out and let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/duncan-maybury-1/sets/absorption

Hoping to get back on a few Arena battles soon...
Dx

Post subject: Re: New Methods
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 am 

So nice music, I wrote about it https://newyorkessays.com/essay-tag/education/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm 

Ginger wrote:

Yeah, you wrote about it :roll:

This is what you do in your free time? This is shit writing fit for can collecting. You don't know jack spit about so nice music. Your head is up your ass!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:32 pm 

Ginger wrote:

I don't get it, I guess it was spam?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:54 pm 

Yo! Good to hear from you man!

I'm listening now. More questions about your new process...

-what other hardware?

-how are you incorporating your SP with Cubase? Send/receive effect from your DAW? Initial sound design and manipulation of sample material? If your 808's drive went shitty it's hard for me to imagine much function beyond using it as an external effects processor, right? I've used my 808 in that capacity with an e-Mu Proteus 2500 command station before and really enjoyed the outcome. It was great for SP-izing synths that came out of the box sounding too shiny and clean.

-are you doing your sequencing in Cubase, or syncing your hardware to your computer and recording audio tracks into it? AND what audio interface are you using?

-how are you programming your percussion?

I'm enjoying this mix man! Good to hear some new stuff from you. That bass on Cognicentric is sick. Drum work on Paper Spring is excellent. The rhythm and bass on Dawn Gates is dope. Especially the percussion. Nice mix! These all sound very cohesive in style from track to track.

Lots of questions for ya. Address any of em, or none of em… all good either way man. 8)

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:13 am 

Hi Bazz,

Thanks for listening and the positive feedback.
I used to do all my sequencing on the four track on the 808 but for these I am doing it all in Cubase. My 808 is still working a bit but I find if I am too heavy on the sequencing it will fuck up and trash the disc. My hardware set up at the moment is the 808, a Behringer Neutron, a Volca FM. I have a Yamaha ur22 MK2 interface. I would love to have a soundcard that I could send and return with so I could incorperate the 808s effects into my tracks better. At the moment I am using the 808 for its synths controlled via cubase midi and recorded into a audio track. I also control the Neutron or Volca via midi and have them routed through the 808 so I can use its effects on them. Often if using a vocal same I will record that into the 808, process it then record that into cubase.
I am programming the beats on Groove Agent Se which is standard with Cubase, it has loads of options for manipulating the samples, I sometimes bounce the drums down to an audio file so I can further chop it up etc.
I was pretty reluctant to five to a DAW because I loved the workflow and ease I had with chopping, cutting, pasting and resampling with the 808 and its effects, but I can now appreciate using a DAW.
Peace!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:03 pm 

drmnaga78 wrote:
Hi Bazz,

Thanks for listening and the positive feedback.
I used to do all my sequencing on the four track on the 808 but for these I am doing it all in Cubase. My 808 is still working a bit but I find if I am too heavy on the sequencing it will fuck up and trash the disc. My hardware set up at the moment is the 808, a Behringer Neutron, a Volca FM. I have a Yamaha ur22 MK2 interface. I would love to have a soundcard that I could send and return with so I could incorperate the 808s effects into my tracks better. At the moment I am using the 808 for its synths controlled via cubase midi and recorded into a audio track. I also control the Neutron or Volca via midi and have them routed through the 808 so I can use its effects on them. Often if using a vocal same I will record that into the 808, process it then record that into cubase.
I am programming the beats on Groove Agent Se which is standard with Cubase, it has loads of options for manipulating the samples, I sometimes bounce the drums down to an audio file so I can further chop it up etc.
I was pretty reluctant to five to a DAW because I loved the workflow and ease I had with chopping, cutting, pasting and resampling with the 808 and its effects, but I can now appreciate using a DAW.
Peace!
That's dope man. That Beringer synth looks cool. I was eyeing one of those a while back.

It's always struck me as odd that the 808's synth can't be controlled via the midi input of it's own pads... wtf right? My workaround has been to program a chromatic scale into the step sequencer, and then sample that to a bank of pads. It's decent, but lacks a lot of the cool live aspects of the synth engine.

Pretty amazing that even a crashed 808 can still function as an external effects processor and synth!

That's quite a process. Sounds like it's come together nicely!

What are you using as a midi controller?

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:41 pm 

Thanks man, that's a good workaround. You can loop back the midi from the pads to control the synth, in midi parameters set the Pad Tx channel to the same as the FX control midi channel and plug a midi cable from output to input.
I am using Cubase and a cheap midi keyboard as a midi controller.

Last edited by drmnaga78 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:06 pm 

I do love the synth on the 808, it's a bit of menu diving to create new patches but well worth it. I quite like running the midi from my midi keyboard into Cubase on a midi track then out to the 808 to control the synth and thru to the Neutron so I can have the two synths playing the same. I have the audio output of the Neutron going into the 808 then the output from there coming back into Cubase on an audio track.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:30 am 

Wwwwoooooooowwwwwwwww. Good. Shit. Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:

That synth technique and routing sounds dope as well. Some really creative stuff. Well done.

SOUNDCLOUD