It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

Post subject: She Pretty
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:44 pm 

Not mastered at all......wasn't even planning on posting it, but I got a little push to post beats, so I went for it. Hopin this will help me finish beats & actually put time in on sound quality.

All vinyl. Ran master out thru an Analog Heat, but I think it made it muddy. Started messin with it, got frustrated, said fuck it. Microwave style.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/track/she-pretty

Post subject: Re: She Pretty
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:58 pm 

Duuuuuuude, is this your studio? Nice stuff laying there! Well, the doggo photo just tops everything because doggos are the best lol.

About the beats, it's a shame that they aren't in an ep so I can listen more of it lol. Both could use more layers here and there (KO would be way stronger) but sometimes they are so hard to figure out... I'm hearing them on a shitty earphone at work, so, no comments on mixing or anything - and I'm quite shitty on that, would have nothing to say about lol.

Did you stick with the analog heat on She Pretty or scrapped that version? It's sounding warm af.

Tbh, Killed it, man. Hope you get things done, it's the hardest part lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:15 pm 

Thanks so much for listening, I really appreciate that!
The K.O. only has 4 note polyphony, so I was at my limit on that one, couldn't add layers, but I agree, more layers on BOTH were needed.
I think the above beat could've been WAAAY better, it was just a quick microwave beat. & yes, I ran the master outs thru the Analog Heat, glad you thought it sounded warm af & not just muddy af, but I don't think it did the Analog Heat justice, I only messed with the settings about 5 minutes.
Basically I make beats for myself, just havin fun, then someone asked if I had music posted, but I didn't......I guess I just needed a push to post something. I never finish beats, I bust out 1 - 5 beats a day...... like most people, I love the idea process & just jamming out. Then when I was listening to my beats thinking about what to post, they sounded like shit, every flaw jumped out. So I messed with this beat, cuz I knew it could be so much better, but nothing was good enough, I got really frustrated, said fuck this shit, they're good enough, I'm just postin them. It's crazy how different your beats sound depending on your mind frame.
BUT, now that I posted 2 beats, I realized it isn't a big deal at all, so I plan on posting more.....I'm hoping it will get me to master my beats, I have no experience with it, because I would rather jam out.
Oh & yeah, that's part of my setup........ I plan on selling some stuff, there are a few things I want, but I want to down size before buying anything else. Already have too much. But I like to bounce around & experiment, I love making sounds & just playin. My baby (dog) gets jealous tho, she prefers I play with her :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:14 pm 

"Good is enough" is what I hear all the time lol.

Busting 1~5 beats a day as everyone else? Damn man lol. Last year I was getting into beat battles and put like two per week at my best, I really struggle to get working like that, but I think that I got what you said... I almost never jam, I always sit down with "I need to compose something" mindset and this is very stressful and I get little done. I will try to jam more as you do.

And I hear wonders about the Analog Heat, it must be a tasty thing to have lol. And I feel you about the gear, having the "most" close is always better than all the rest clamping your view and ears.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 pm 

I meant I like to jam out & just like the idea stage, like a lot of other beat makers. My sentence was confusing, I didn't mean everyone busts out 1 -5 beats a day, I know that's not normal :) I've only takin 3 days off in almost 3 years......I'm worried I'm going to get burnt out tho, so trying to do other things.....balance out my life.
But yeah, I jam out drums, jam out the chops, jam out the bassline, then start messin with mutes while playing with effects (KP3+ & guitar pedals).........basically just jam out, record the process & have fun. Or I make sounds... I just play. I'll admit my progress has been slow because of it, but I gain skill, knowledge & I have a blast. & I'm still progressing, it's just I don't really have any polished beats. That's my goal this year, to try to actually "finish" beats.

I noticed you mentioned you were at work.......me too.....that's cool...now I have a work buddy on here I can chat with from time to time :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:28 am 

'Bout freaking time, Sharris!! Nah, I'm just kidding... lol :lol:

Both beats sound good. The KO beat has plenty of interesting changes to keep you tuned in. The mix on it sounds good.

The She Pretty beat, I'm guessing was probably made on the MPC? It's got a good groove to it, it could use a few EQ adjustments. Not sure if that's what you meant by the analog heat making it muddy... There's a bunch of room in high frequency range and some room in the low lows, but all the chops are kinda in the mid range. It's kinda making what I call the "knock" on your kick compete with the rest of the mids. You can fix this a few different ways, raise the volume of the kick (not always the best way), put a small boost in EQ around 250-500Hz (depends on the kick used) or the same frequency cut on the competing samples, or compress your kick (and/or drums) more. That's just a few ways to get the top end of a kick to cut through a mid heavy mix. The beat is creative, I like it. You should work on it some more, there is a ton of room in the highs, you could high pass some more samples and add other elements in there. Oh, the loudness on it could stand to come up to where your KO beat is. Good work though! Glad you finally made the jump. Nice setup also. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 am 

Thanks man :)
Yeah mpc 2500
I know this is the sp forum, but Ive been postin a lot & just thought I would show a little of what i can do......i have some sx & mpc 500 beats ill post next, just need to put them on the computer.
Def could use some eq adjustments & yeah, the above beat is quiet, I changed up my signal chain & lost a lot of volume when doing so, gotta figure out the issue.
Everything you said is great advice, a lot of what I was thinkin. Thats kind of the problem, I know what I need to do (at least somewhat, of course I have a lot to learn), I just dont do it......... all I want to do is play. But Im at a point where I really want to up the quality of my beats & know I need to put work in to do that. I want to be proud of what I make & feel like I actually put my all into it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:17 am 

Yeah yeah. Good stuff Sharris. Looking forward to more!

SOUNDCLOUD